Looking for Multi-Generational Soaring Families!!!!!!!!

Old November 5th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

Default Looking for Multi-Generational Soaring Families!!!!!!!!

Hey, anyone who has a Dad, Mom, Uncle, Aunt, Grandparent, ANYBODY that
gave you the "urge" to soar. Or if you are a Dad or Mom, that have
your kids crewing for you (Sam Giltner should pay attention here!) I
am looking for names and contacts. I am trying to put together a
"registry" for a session at the Convention called "generations in
Soaring". I know from the racing/competition arena there are lots and
lots! Anybody that knows anybody, or if you are a soaring kid
yourself, please send me an e-mail! Also, let's not forget Spratt's
Brats, or those that are well-trained ground crews, and SCUM members!

Janine this means you! Ken, Danny, Mike this means you! John S. this
means you! Tommy B. this means you! Peter S. this means you!
Aland A, this means you and your daughter Amelia! The Beardens, the
Lattimores. I think that gives you an idea of what I am looking for!

I am trying to put together a little "something" about the grand
family tradition in this sport. I just got an e-mail from a lady
today, whose father was a participant in the 1932 soaring contest in
Harris Hill. Wow! send all you know about
kids/parents/nieces/nephews/grandparents, etc. to

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old November 5th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

My father, soaring Hall of Famer Fritz Compton, passed away at age 90
earlier this year. I've posted some old photos of him and myself at
http://www.flygliders.com/fritzcompton.htm

The images are below the obit. They are large and in two columns - so
be sure to scroll right to see all the images.

Neat idea - thanks.

Burt Compton
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com

Old November 6th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Sort of...

My oldest brother, Jessie Womack, was old enough to be my father, and
most folks thought he was. My dad passed away when I was only 3. Jessie
took me to TSA, Odessa, Hobbs, Georgetown, etc. during my young years.
He crewed for Dick Johnson for years, and built many sailplane
trailers. He helped Len Niemi build the Sisu gliders and built 7 of the
11 trailers. He towed many hours at TSA in it's early years and served
as a club officer and general flunky. Jess passed a few years ago.
Because of his influence, my love of soaring has grown steadily. I now
own and fly a PIK-20B out of Littlefield, Texas. I still consider TSA
home...

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old November 6th 06, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't forget the Mozer family in the U.S. In terms of number of family
members active in the sport over a long period, sailplanes owned,
flight instructing activity, contest placings, and influence on many of
us growing up in soaring here, they've got to rank near the top. Other
names that come to mind are Indrebo, Seymour, and Frantz. Not sure
whether all these folks read RAS.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old November 10th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

MickiMinner wrote:
[...]

Our Family:
Dianne Black-Nixon, Husband Hank
Son- Charlie Mampe
Grand children- Carly and Calvin Mampe

McMaster
Roy
Justin and brothers
Justins sons AJ etc.

Meyer
Burton
Son Steve
Grandson Paul just joined our club.

Just a quick 3.
UH

Old November 10th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill[_5_]

The Beltz family is multigenerational. Dave built the Beltzville
Gliderport in eastern PA. His son, Tom, has won several national
championships and came in second in a world championships. His
grandson, Chris Saunders, just won the 18-meter national championship
this year.

Tom can be reached at .

Bill Feldbaumer 09

Old November 12th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flyboy494

Hello,

I am a third generation soaring pilot. My Grandfather, Dad, and Uncle
became active in the early sixties. Unfortunately, none of us are
active right now. I am hoping to get back into soaring next season.
Please let me know if you would like more information for your project.

best regards,

Kent Orr

Old November 12th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"flyboy494" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hello,

I am a third generation soaring pilot. My Grandfather, Dad, and Uncle
became active in the early sixties. Unfortunately, none of us are
active right now. I am hoping to get back into soaring next season.
Please let me know if you would like more information for your project.

best regards,

Kent Orr

We are also a two-generation soaring family, but it didn't happen in the
usual direction! I got the bug from my daughter.

My daughter took lessons from an early age and her non-flying father (me)
spent years at gliderports running wings, hauling ropes, and paying bills.
Thanks to the legendary Mary Gafney, she soloed and was eventually licensed at
the minimum ages. Later on, I began taking lessons and over a period of years
became a commercial rides pilot and a CFIG. Like Kent's situation above,
neither of us is currently active in soaring. My daughter is busy with her
young family and there is currently no soaring operation near where I live, so I
have to content myself with flying ratty rental Cezznas.

Vaughn