How Many Nations Follow the FAA?

Old December 5th 04, 04:59 AM
Charles Talleyrand

Default How Many Nations Follow the FAA?

In the US we have a set of aviation regulations all made up by the FAA.

In Canada they have a different set of rules all made up by Transport
Canada. They don't blindly follow the American FAA system.

When in Belize I walked through the capital to the general aviation airport
and talked to a pilot. It turns out that Belize uses the FAA regulations.
Pilots in Belize actually refer to "Part 91" which is amazing since that's a
rule made by the American government and the Belize government just tells
they "Do everything you would have to if you were in America".

I also notice that the South African set of rules for general aviation is
called "part 91".

So, how many nations don't make their own aviation rule but instead simply
require the locals to follow the American FAA rules?

And as a follow-up, do any non-European nations require one to follow the
European rules?

Old December 5th 04, 05:18 AM
MC

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

In the US we have a set of aviation regulations all made up by the FAA.

In Canada they have a different set of rules all made up by Transport
Canada. They don't blindly follow the American FAA system.

When in Belize I walked through the capital to the general aviation airport
and talked to a pilot. It turns out that Belize uses the FAA regulations.
Pilots in Belize actually refer to "Part 91" which is amazing since that's a
rule made by the American government and the Belize government just tells
they "Do everything you would have to if you were in America".

I also notice that the South African set of rules for general aviation is
called "part 91".

So, how many nations don't make their own aviation rule but instead simply
require the locals to follow the American FAA rules?

Australia has started rewriting its' rules to 'harmonize' them with
the FAA and JAA systems.
Old December 5th 04, 06:42 AM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old December 5th 04, 02:30 PM
Blueskies

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...
In the US we have a set of aviation regulations all made up by the FAA.

snip

And as a follow-up, do any non-European nations require one to follow the
European rules?

The FAA is rewriting some regs to fall in line with the JAA, believe it or not. Way back when, the European regs used to
follow the FAA regs pretty closely, but now they are starting to set the standards and impose them on US operators...

Old December 5th 04, 02:36 PM
James

MC wrote:
Charles Talleyrand wrote:

[...]

Australia just "rolled back" quite a few of the changes, mainly due to
opposition from air traffic control unions, who might lose some jobs.
They were trotting out safety, that with much emptier skies, which do
not have that much radar coverage that a US style system would not work.
Also some airline pilots did not like the changes as they might have to
look out the window for VFR planes. There was actually talk (from
airline pilots) of establishing "Professional Airspace." where those
pesky general aviation people would not be able to fly. For more
infomation about this debate do a google search on google.com.au and
select the search option of Australia only, and search for New Airspace
system.

James.
Old December 5th 04, 03:28 PM
Bill Denton

How does the ICAO fit into all of this?

I was under the impression that they were a multi-national organization that
dealt with "coordinating" aviation activities among nations.

From what I understand, the ICAO puts forth a set of rules from which
individual nations could extract subsets, or create supersets of, with the
essential idea being to create a "core" set of rules that all signatory
nations would abide by.

Among many things I don't know is what the scope and depth of these rules
is. I know they cover stuff like runway designs and things like that, but do
they also cover such things as required aircraft equipment, pilot training,
and similar issues. And do they go down to the "Section 1.2.3.4.5" level?

Also, do they apply only to commercial aviation, or is all GA covered?

If anyone has any additional info, TIA!

Old December 5th 04, 07:39 PM
Matt Whiting

Blueskies wrote:

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message ...

In the US we have a set of aviation regulations all made up by the FAA.

snip

And as a follow-up, do any non-European nations require one to follow the
European rules?

The FAA is rewriting some regs to fall in line with the JAA, believe it or not. Way back when, the European regs used to
follow the FAA regs pretty closely, but now they are starting to set the standards and impose them on US operators...

It will be pretty funny when they each look like the other's regulations
USED to be and are still different from each other. :-)

Matt

Old December 5th 04, 08:05 PM
Thomas Borchert

Charles,

do a google search on ICAO.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old December 6th 04, 02:26 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Thomas Borchert wrote:

do a google search on ICAO.

The vast majority of the hits will be for an accountants' organization. Search
for the full name.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old December 6th 04, 03:50 AM
SkyRacerD14001

From an American living in Australia the past 10 years....CASA's writing of the
new regulations only resembles the FARs as far as the numbering system...any
other part is not recognisable as FAA regs. IE: CASA began rewriting the regs
(CARs) with the intention of bringing the Oz regs in line with the FARs and
JARs. Only that has not even come close to happening. It looks like the same
old system only worst. Read Paul Phelan's articles in Australian Flying Mag to
get an accurate picture.