A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider cockpit wanted for Simulator... anyone?

Old July 5th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider cockpit wanted for Simulator... anyone?

Hi, I'm interested in building a (Condor) glider simulator in my garage to introduce the local neighborhood kids to flying gliders, and to get my own daughter more into flying. I wish someone had introduced me to flying when I was a kid, I might have made a career of it instead of discovering it at 40!

Anyhow, would anyone happen to know of a destroyed glider in which I could possibly purchase the cockpit, in the USA? I don't need any instruments, just the cockpit. Stick, and rudder pedals would be nice ... but I could fabricate them if needed anyway. If I can't locate one I'll just build something with my CNC machine from wood, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks
Tom
St. Pete, FL
Old July 5th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:36:32 PM UTC-4, flgliderpilot wrote:
Hi, I'm interested in building a (Condor) glider simulator in my garage to introduce the local neighborhood kids to flying gliders, and to get my own daughter more into flying. I wish someone had introduced me to flying when I was a kid, I might have made a career of it instead of discovering it at 40!

Anyhow, would anyone happen to know of a destroyed glider in which I could possibly purchase the cockpit, in the USA? I don't need any instruments, just the cockpit. Stick, and rudder pedals would be nice ... but I could fabricate them if needed anyway. If I can't locate one I'll just build something with my CNC machine from wood, but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Tom

St. Pete, FL

If you look at the "cockpit builders" discussion boards in the Condor community http://forum.condorsoaring.com/viewforum.php?f=14 you will find some very nicely done PORTABLE stick, rudder, and spoiler setups. Some of these can be quickly folded up and put in the trunk of a car and taken to various places where you can promote soaring.

When I first got involved (simultaneously) with Condor and real gliders I thought that a realistic cockpit would be important, but then I learned that once you start to "fly" in Condor, the cockpit completely disappears. I quickly discovered that a joystick fastened to the right armrest of a chair was a heck of a lot more enjoyable than a stick positioned awkwardly between my legs. A joystick on the armrest is a lot nicer than a joystick on a desk in front of you and rudder pedals greatly boost the realism. I agree that realistic control feel has some value (but it is by no means essential to enjoying Condor). The rest of the cockpit has extremely marginal value.

I think that realistic cockpits are overrated in terms of getting people interested. Rather than building a cockpit, your time might be better spent working through some of Scott Manley Condor flying lessons with your daughter.

That said, there are few souls who really get a charge out of building and sitting in a realistic cockpit. Just don't expect it to be magical for the majority of people. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I thought it useful to share how my perspective on Condor cockpits evolved over a period of a few weeks.

Perhaps some of the outstanding Junior pilots who got started with Condor will chime in with their perspectives.
Old July 5th 13, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

When I first got involved (simultaneously) with Condor and real gliders I thought that a realistic cockpit would be important, but then I learned that once you start to "fly" in Condor, the cockpit completely disappears. I quickly discovered that a joystick fastened to the right armrest of a chair was a heck of a lot more enjoyable than a stick positioned awkwardly between my legs. A joystick on the armrest is a lot nicer than a joystick on a desk in front of you and rudder pedals greatly boost the realism. I agree that realistic control feel has some value (but it is by no means essential to enjoying Condor). The rest of the cockpit has extremely marginal value.

I can't disagree, really the cockpit service limited purpose.. aside from airbrake lever, stick, and pedals. I've been flying condor for a about 4 years now, I started before earning my glider license. I've always had the stick on my desk, on my lap, etc, and my pedals sliding all over the floor. I've just kinda gotten tired of that, and would like a more realistic configuration. It would be fun to build something around a cockpit, I know my daughter would enjoy it. If I can't do that, then I do have a backup plan.

Tom

Old July 5th 13, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Friday, July 5, 2013 1:01:10 AM UTC-4, flgliderpilot wrote:

I've always had the stick on my desk, on my lap, etc, and my pedals sliding all over the floor. I've just kinda gotten tired of that, and would like a more realistic configuration.

Agreed. I started with a very comfortable chair. I replaced the padded armrests with 10" X 36" pieces of plywood. The joystick rests on the plywood.. Then I built a simple plywood wedge about 30" wide by 30" deep tilted up.. Put the rudder pedals on the wedge to stabilize and attain more realistic position. A little effort goes a long way.

That said, I think building a more realistic stick, rudder and spoiler has merit, especially if it is portable. But do you make it feel like a 2-33 or a ASK-21?
Old July 8th 13, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
95PM
external usenet poster

You are close to Tampa Bay Soaring in Zephyrhills.
We have several damaged gliders you could probably acquire.
Go to our web site www.tbss.us. Check out the contacts.
We are operating Sat, Sun and Wednesday.