Navaho crash lands, Beverly, Ma.

Old June 21st 05, 12:40 PM
gregg

Default Navaho crash lands, Beverly, Ma.

Twin engine plane crash landed in Beverly, Ma. Pilot safe.

I was returning from taking my sister for an hour's ride (she never flew in
a small plane). I was on downwind for a T&G and there was a Navaho on the
runway - cleared for takeoff. I turn base and am watching..the navaho
doesn't move.

Finally the tower tells the Navaho to expedite and it moves. So I turn final
- watching to be sure it's out of the way (no problem).

AS I round out, the tower tells the Navaho there's smoke from the starboard
engine, and that he better land it. He turns left. By this time I'm just
rolling. I knew he had a problem - I can see the smoke. For a split second
I consider chaning my T&G to a full stop but decide against that as the
Tower was probably very busy and doesn't need the complication, and my
plane might suddenly be in the way if I stopped. I see him pass off to my
left VERY low. He did close to a 180.

So up I go. The airport is closed by the time I turn crosswind. There are
two of us in the vicinity and the tower stacks me at 1500 and the other at
2000. We orbit. I'm asked my fuel state and if I want to divert. I say, no
I'm content to orbit for a while. I have a lot of gas. the other guy
diverts to Lawrence.

Once I get on "downwind" I see the twin..in the grass, gear up. Trucks
appear from nowhere in a very short period of time. Police have the plane
cordoned off.

Takes them only about 20 minutes to get the situtaion under control and the
airport re-opened. I land.

here's the Boston Globe Article on it:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas..._in_ danvers/

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Old June 21st 05, 12:49 PM
gregg

p.s. The FBO told me that the Navaho JUSt had 2 new engines put in to the
tune of $54,000 per engine....

Old June 21st 05, 02:00 PM
Stubby

gregg wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the report. It's great to have it from a pilot who actually
saw it. I haven't read the Globe article because journalists have a
reputation for creating their own reality.
Old June 22nd 05, 02:46 AM
Capt.Doug

"gregg" wrote in message
p.s. The FBO told me that the Navaho JUSt had 2 new engines put in to the
tune of $54,000 per engine....

I just had a Navajo Chieftain engine overhauled for under $37k including
accessories and installation.

D.

Old June 22nd 05, 04:28 AM
Peter Duniho

"gregg" wrote in message

Also, the Boston Globe article had a NUMBer of facts totally wrong about
hte
case.

Like the spelling of the name of the airplane?

Old June 22nd 05, 10:57 AM
gregg

Peter Duniho wrote:

"gregg" wrote in message

Also, the Boston Globe article had a NUMBer of facts totally wrong about
hte
case.

Like the spelling of the name of the airplane?

I mispelled the name. So sorry.

But no, I was more thinking about the article statements like:

"State police said Lake may have been forced to land because of a mechanical
problem with the plane's left engine."

- the visible smoke was coming from the right engine. Doesn't preclude
the possibility of the left engine being bad as well, but both the tower
my sister and and I saw the smoke from the right.

"But around noon, as one of the plane's engines was "running rough," he
returned to the airport.."

- He had not really left the airport, though I suppose this is a nitpick.
He was on climbout when the tower called him and said he had smoke from
the right engine.

".....and landed in a grassy field about a quarter of a mile from a
runway,.."

This statement plus the "returned to the airport", can be misleading. It
might make one think he didn't make the airport. But he did..he landed in a
grassy area between a taxiway and a runway.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:12 PM
RST Engineering

I've got a REALLY stupid question ...

By the time you are flying something in the Navaho category you've got a few
dozen hours behind the windshield...

and the Navaho has at least marginal single engine climb...

and the ******* wasn't on fire, just smoking...

and, in general, an engine smoking will stop smoking when you pull the fuel
flow to the engine...

why didn't he go around, single engine, drop the gear, and put it on the
runway?

Jim

Old June 23rd 05, 02:46 AM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:12:37 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

BTDT, do a crapload of 50 & 100 hrs on PA31's (flying them around the
patch afterward to make sure everything works) and it's going to
happen every once in awhile.

Only ever had to shut one completely down, the rest were with the
problem child at idle (or just above). The one that got caged was
intercooler equipped, had to pull the turbo supply hose off to get the
oil filter off, and I had only started it back on the fitting.

By the time we saw the oil streaming the oil pressure indication was
jumping around so I feathered it.

Most common scenario was a chunk of crud in an injector nozzle after
r/r for cleaning-rather ironic when you think about it. Problem then
is depending on the state of the partially plugged nozzle you end up
down on TO power, with the potential of destroying the lean cylinder
by detonation.

Probably should mention never have had a twin rating/offeeshul twin
training, but always had somebody that did in the right seat.

TC

Old June 23rd 05, 07:37 PM

Exactly what I was thinking, although ya never know what drama might
have been playing out in the cockpit while all this was going on.
Beverly Airport is only 107ft above MSL so DA shouldn't have been a
factor (the Navajo is turbocharged anyway) Even at max gross I'd expect
it to be able to climb 2-300fpm single-engine in those conditions.
Given that, you'd think the pilot would have declared and returned to
land with with the suspect engine caged.

Will

Small plane crash lands on freeway in LA area Skywise Piloting 17 June 24th 05 04:37 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM