Navaho crash lands, Beverly, Ma.

Old June 25th 05, 03:52 AM
Capt.Doug

"RST Engineering" wrote in message I've got a REALLY stupid question
By the time you are flying something in the Navaho category you've got a

few
dozen hours behind the windshield...
and the Navaho has at least marginal single engine climb...

Not neccessarily- I just changed 2 jugs on a Navajo during a phase
inspection (AAIP maintenance program for 135 aircraft, no 50 or 100 hour
inspections). One cylinder was 27/80 and the other was worse. The pilots
didn't notice anything wrong. Being at gross weight on 4 cylinders in a
Navajo doesn't gain you altitude.

and the ******* wasn't on fire, just smoking...
and, in general, an engine smoking will stop smoking when you pull the

fuel
flow to the engine...

The fire may have been contained in the nacelle and therefore not visible to
others. I posted about this shortly after I crapped an engine in a Navajo
last Easter Sunday. Oil spray from the engine block was ignited by the hot
turbocharger. The flames stayed inside the cowling. The smoke did not.

why didn't he go around, single engine, drop the gear, and put it on the
runway?

You've been around airplanes long enough to know that just because someone
has a couple dozen hours behind the windshield doesn't mean that the pilot
knows anything about handling emergencies. Most of my charter pilots come to
me with 100 hours of twin-engine time or more. Many can't handle an engine
failure just after rotation. They were trained to pass a practical test, not
trained to save their butt.

D.

Old September 5th 05, 02:38 AM
dp

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 06:12:37 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

I've got a REALLY stupid question ...

By the time you are flying something in the Navaho category you've got a few
dozen hours behind the windshield...

and the Navaho has at least marginal single engine climb...

and the ******* wasn't on fire, just smoking...

and, in general, an engine smoking will stop smoking when you pull the fuel
flow to the engine...

why didn't he go around, single engine, drop the gear, and put it on the
runway?

Jim

Din't know.... it's his third "incident" since flying.... a couple
years ago he ditched his family and a neighbor's family into the
Atlantic Ocean returning to Beverly from Nantucket at night. Almost
wiped out both families.... How does a pilot lose both engines in a
twin... Bad Luck??? Bad Karma??? Out if Fuel ?????

hmmm.... let me guess... hard to prove after having to float the
plne......

dp

Small plane crash lands on freeway in LA area Skywise Piloting 17 June 24th 05 04:37 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 03:38 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 04:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 05:34 PM