Bose vs. Lightspeed

Old January 30th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Default Bose vs. Lightspeed

I finally got to try out Bose headsets. They were a phenomenon.
Utterly clear, crisp and unimpeded hearing on a cross-country from WNC
to Charleston, SC in a 182. Very positive impression of these $1000
miracles.

I have a poor set of Lightspeeds. When at their best they are great
too, but they are coming apart. The plastic is cracking although I
never keep them in the plane, and they go crazy when the noise is
loud, as when you firewall the throttle. They will blast your ears
with something really loud and cacophonic, as if what they are doing
is not reducing but amplifying noise.

Another Lightspeed user said, "Change batteries." Well, I did but
the blast is still there in a 172 and in the noisy Taylorcraft.

When you listen to Beethoven's Violin Concerto and don't hear the high
notes, you know what you got left should be pampered.

Any suggestions? I guess I ought to send them back to the company.
Thanks.

Old January 30th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Jan 30, 7:28 am, " jls" wrote:
[...]

I LOVE my Lightspeed 20 3 G's .................. and less then half
the cost of the Bose things.

Old January 30th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
WestCDA

I've had a pair of Lightspeed's for 5 years or so now, and the audio
performance/ANR has been excellent. I have had the plastic stirrups (that
attach the earcups to the headband) crack on them, and they promptly sent me
another set on request (when well out of warranty). I get the feeling that
is not uncommon, as a couple years back at S&F they had a box of various
stirrups under the table at their booth they were handing out on request.

From my experience and from what I've read online, their customer service
has been excellent - I would sure contact them about your issues before
writing them off. My feeling is you would get them repaired (electronics
and plastics) to like new at no cost.

.. .

Old January 30th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:28:33 -0500, " jls" wrote:

Any suggestions? I guess I ought to send them back to the company.
Thanks.

I use a Flightcom Denali ANR headset in the Fly Baby. My first try at an ANR
headset was a borrowed Lightspeed. The headset would "warble" in one ear or the
other as I turned my head while flying. My guess it was reacting to the change
of air pressure in the open cockpit.

The Flightcom doesn't have this problem. Seems to work pretty good at the noise
canceling, too, although it runs through batteries pretty quickly. I'm guessing
that's because of the high noise levels (~109 dB, chest high). When the battery
gets low enough, I start getting a "chirping" in the earphones and the light
flashes red. The battery is pretty low at that point, though. I've got the old
version without the compatibility with panel power. The Denali is pretty low
profile, which might explain its lower sensitivity to wind-driven effects.

The only drawback to the Denali was the color choices...yellow or blue. Neither
goes well with my airplane. Life is Hell. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 30th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

The only drawback to the Denali was the color choices...yellow or blue.
Neither
goes well with my airplane. Life is Hell. :-)

Perhaps a good polyurethane paint, with plasticisers in it?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 31st 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:54:35 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

The only drawback to the Denali was the color choices...yellow or blue.
Neither
goes well with my airplane. Life is Hell. :-)

Perhaps a good polyurethane paint, with plasticisers in it?

But will it stick to the fabric and cowling? :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 31st 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

But will it stick to the fabric and cowling? :-)

OR

You could go the easy route,

and paint the

DENALI ! ! ! bfg
--
Jim in NC
Old January 31st 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jay Honeck

Any suggestions? I guess I ought to send them back to the company.
Thanks.

You don't say which model of LightSpeeds you own. I've owned them
all, going back to the early 15s, and can tell you that the models
that preceded the current Twenty and Thirty 3Gs were NOT built for
daily use. They worked great when new, but were simply not durable,
and would literally break over time without anyone touching them.

I lost faith with the company after sending my early models back
multiple times for repair. (Their customer service has always been
outstanding.) Were it not for the president of LightSpeed
interceding, and GIVING me a pair of Twenty 3Gs, I would have never
purchased another pair of LightSpeeds.

His actions turned out to be a wise investment. The 3G series has
been outstanding in every way. They are now durable as well as
comfortable and effective, and offer features that Bose does not, at
less than half the price. I have since purchased three more pair,
and am VERY happy with them.

If you have an older pair, check out their "trade-up" offers, which
are quite good.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:01:49 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

But will it stick to the fabric and cowling? :-)

OR

You could go the easy route,

and paint the

DENALI ! ! ! bfg

Yeah, but I like the headset color better. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 31st 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
n2uck@verizon period. net

I've been flying with the Bose Aviation X's for the last 3 years and I swear
by them. Never had a problem (except when my brain malfunctioned and I
forgot to have a spare battery). They are worth every penny.

DC X11 vs Bose Dave Anderer Piloting 7 January 12th 07 11:23 PM
OK ! We did the Bose / Dave Clark flight! Dave Piloting 11 December 27th 06 01:47 AM
LightSpeed QFR CC ANR vs Bose Aviation X jbskies Owning 6 December 9th 06 04:27 PM
Bose X smf Owning 5 July 28th 03 04:22 PM
Lightspeed Battery Box Warning Justin Case Piloting 74 July 13th 03 03:12 AM