Best coax for aircraft radios

Old January 13th 05, 12:06 AM
ELIPPSE

Hi, John!
On the example I gave it was for a LongEZ or VariEZ where the cable run
is 20' from radio to the tip sail antenna. The coax passes within less
than 12" from an ignition lead on some of these planes, depending on
how the cable is run.

Old January 13th 05, 12:46 AM
ELIPPSE

Hi, Dude!
It's funny! Here I post some info about a cable, and its
characteristics, that I had a lot of excellent results with, and which
I installed on my Lancair. I thought that this forum was for the
exchange of information. I expected some replies such as: "Yeah, that
cable has some good low-loss characteristics, but after checking the
prices on the mfg's. site, I decided that the performance I'm getting
with the cable I presently use is good enough for me." OK, that's
reasonable! Or: "I'm building this hot Lancair IVP and I want the best
cable I can get; money is no object! Thanks for the tip" OK, that's
reasonable too! But do I get a discussion on the relative merits of
this cable and others? No, I get a bunch of sharks and their sycophants
who want to prove to each other just how smart they are and how they
can take down this new guy."Who does he think he is, anyway?"
I've met this type over and over in the Aerospace world. Those who
can't get up a decent technical discussion and then hide their
ignorance behind insults. Too bad that they don't see that when others
see this type of diatribe over some little innocent posting, that
they're afraid of posting something themselves and incurring this type
of wrath. What a stifler of open discussion! The political world is
full of this kind; look at the last election. I expected that on a
homebuilder's site, at least, that that kind of thing would be
dispensed with so that a dialogue of builder-helping-builder would
prevail! Silly me! I guess even in homebuilding small egos prevail. Too
bad there are not more like Corky Scott and the ones who contacted me
about the ELIPPSE prop, looking for more performance. They weren't
taken-in by these egomaniacal types who can't stand it if someone
doesn't kiss their boots and acknowledge them as the pre-eminent
authorities on everything! But as for me, as I get information that I
think others may want to know, I will post it on the forum and ignore
the sharks.

Old January 13th 05, 01:04 AM
UltraJohn

Ellipse
My original post (and I think I started the replies) had more to do with the
fact you came in with your first appearance with multiple post (4 or 5)the
one with the coax was probably the most innocent with plenty of merit
( although I still believe for the vast majority of homebuilders it is
gross overkill for the money). Go back and read your post on the prop,
which has it's own merits I'm sure. The point is you flooded the news group
with it and it was written as a "look at this prop go here and get it"
post.
I believe you meant well but you came on very strong and that's were the
objections mainly came from. I'm sure you have a lot of positive input to
this group and yes I do read your post!
So I hope you'd go back a review and see where we came from. My intention
was not to make you feel unwelcome but when I do see multiple posts (more
than 2) directing me to a product, I'm skeptical.
I hope that everyone can let this thread die and go on. If people want to
discus the merits or use of the cable consider starting a new topic on it
all over!
John

Old January 13th 05, 01:38 AM

ELIPPSE wrote:
It's funny! Here I post some info about a cable, and its
characteristics, that I had a lot of excellent results with, and

which
I installed on my Lancair. I thought that this forum was for the
exchange of information.

Elippse,

To be fair, your initial post on this subject was not quite so
benign. It contained the following :

It's pricier than the RG's, but the
performance is so far superior that your com, VOR, Xpndr,
and whatever will give you range performance like you've
never seen.

and

Anyone
who uses an RG cable in their aircraft with this stuff
available doesn't really care about good radio rx/tx!

Those are some pretty strong claims and the writing style just
screams "get your snakeoil here!". I think several responders pointed
out that the difference in cable loss in a typical light aircraft
installation were negligible and stated exactly why they thought so.

In a nutshell, this is Usenet. If you post claims like those above,
the response you got here is pretty typical.
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old January 13th 05, 05:20 AM
Dude

"ELIPPSE" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Look. Your post obviously did not get the replies you expected. You can
blame everyone here, or perhaps you could reexamine your own post. You know
what you intended to say, and how you wanted it recieved. We did not. All
we saw was a pretty hard pitch about some cable. My initial reaction was not
"cool, I should look into using that". My initial reaction was "wow, this
guy thinks we are all stupid for not doing it his way."

So, you can try to tell us how we should have felt, and how we should have
responded, but you are only doing EXACTLY what you are accusing us of doing.
We now know what you meant, and you now know what we were thinking about
your post. Perhaps you can see that we are not egomaniacs either?