Operation without a transponder

Old September 14th 04, 08:00 AM
Stefan

Peter Duniho wrote:

American Heritage
Merriam-Webster

Maybe, but to me, the only authoritative source is the Oxford English
Dictionary (the big one), which states:

biennial (Origin: Latin biennium, space of two years)
1. Existing or lasting for two years; changed every two years.
2. Recurring, happening, or taking place once in every two years.

biannual
Used as = Half-yearly.

with no alternatives.

Interesting are the references to the first occurences:
biennial: 1621
biannual: 1877

Stefan

Old September 14th 04, 08:48 AM
Peter Duniho

"Stefan" wrote in message
Maybe, but to me, the only authoritative source is the Oxford English
Dictionary (the big one)

When you get every single English-speaking person to agree with you that
that's "the only authoritative source", then maybe you'll have something.

Until then, you'll just have to accept that not only do some people use
biannual to mean every two years, there are dictionaries considered just as
authoritative by others that agree with those people.

The thing I find most ironic (the proper use of that word, by the way) is
that idiotic and petty corrections of a person's English are not only
tolerated, but when someone tries to point out that the corrections aren't
even correct, that someone is criticized. Never mind that the original post
purporting to correct the original person's English is out of place and out
of line. And yet, corrections regarding how a trim system works are met
with disdain and argumentativeness.

It's amazing what passes for "good newsgroup fodder" around here.
Apparently bogus grammar corrections are in, on-topic airplane control
comments are out. I forget, what newsgroup is this again?

Cheers,
Pete