Iphone app for soaring?

Old November 20th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GARY BOGGS CFIG

Default Iphone app for soaring?

Do any of you use any iphone apps for soaring that you can recomend?
Old November 20th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 19, 7:29*pm, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
Do any of you use any iphone apps for soaring that you can recomend?

My iPhone makes a ILEC CN10 vario climb sound when my wife calls ;-)
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old November 20th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

I know that there is a VFR Chart moving map display, but I know of no
"soaring application" like XC Soar or WinPilot or SeeYou.
BT

Old November 20th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Nov 19, 4:29*pm, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
Do any of you use any iphone apps for soaring that you can recomend?

Absolutly. There are quiet a few apps useful for soaring:

Skycharts - Moving map sectionals. The best feature is that you can
cache the sectionals so no cell connection is needed.
Airport 4 pilots - Find the nearest airport
TrackLog - Works great as a GPS tracker on the iphone side but I found
the web site nearly impossible to use.
GPS Tracker - Another GPS tracker. Works great as long as you have
cell coverage.
Sunrise and Sunset - great for those who race against the sun...
Altimeter - just for fun

There are also some great iphone web apps for blipmaps, but currently
not available.

Ramy
Old November 20th 09, 06:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GARY BOGGS CFIG

My iPhone makes a ILEC CN10 vario climb sound when my wife calls ;-)
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Great Dave, not if you can get the iphone to do the rest of the ilec
stuff I'll have it made!
Old November 20th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 19, 11:21*pm, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
My iPhone makes a ILEC CN10 vario climb sound when my wife calls ;-)
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

Great Dave, not if you can get the iphone to do the rest of the ilec
stuff I'll have it made!

While no doubt we would love to see a 99-cent version of SeeYou for
iPhone, I doubt that it will happen. Successful apps need a huge user
base to be profitable.

However, I have found I can access weather radar on an iPhone while
soaring - wonder how the Rules Committee will deal with this one?

Mike
Old November 21st 09, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 20, 12:07*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
However, I have found I can access weather radar on an iPhone while
soaring - wonder how the Rules Committee will deal with this one?

Mike

(1) Find some sand.
(2) Bury head in it.

The time-honored tradition has been declare it illegal until
impossible to continue ignoring, then legalize...

Anyway, my iPhone never seems to operate while airborne
(that is, connect with adequate bandwidth to do anything).

Old November 21st 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Nov 20, 7:07*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Nov 20, 12:07*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:

However, I have found I can access weather radar on an iPhone while
soaring - wonder how the Rules Committee will deal with this one?

Mike

(1) Find some sand.
(2) Bury head in it.

The time-honored tradition has been declare it illegal until
impossible to continue ignoring, then legalize...

Anyway, my iPhone never seems to operate while airborne
(that is, connect with adequate bandwidth to do anything).

dave:

You obviously fly too high - you need to get down and dirty with those
cell-phone towers!

Mike

Old November 22nd 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rob

On Nov 19, 4:29*pm, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
Do any of you use any iphone apps for soaring that you can recomend?

There is an app for the iphone to try at http://www.apptism.com/apps/skylogger.

"SkyLogger is a program for obtaining and storing flight data. The
program is especially adapted for the usage by glider, hangglider and
paraglider pilots"

Rob Frith

iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Piloting 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone and /G A Guy Called Tyketto Instrument Flight Rules 2 June 17th 08 12:01 AM
iPhone in the air Ramy Soaring 2 June 3rd 08 12:03 AM
IPhone On gliders? Mitch[_2_] Soaring 0 February 26th 08 08:14 AM
E6B for iPhone? C J Campbell[_1_] Piloting 16 September 27th 07 03:54 AM