Technical Soaring

Old December 11th 03, 09:40 PM
Mike Borgelt

Default Technical Soaring

Frank Whiteley wrote:

I keep waiting for Technical Soaring archives to appear on CD-ROM. BTW
Larry, if you're lurking, what's the current status of this (IMVHO long
overdue) project?

[ADDED WRT to the above para: OSTIV is supposed to be working CD-ROM
distribution of old articles
according to my last contact about a year ago.]

CDROM??? How about an OSTIV website where technical articles are
published. There is a rumour that this internet thing has been
invented and it is meant to be pretty neat.

Al??

You'd think it ws classified military research by the difficulty in
accessing Ostiv papers.

Mike Borgelt
Old December 12th 03, 04:05 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mike Borgelt" wrote in message
news
Frank Whiteley wrote:

I keep waiting for Technical Soaring archives to appear on CD-ROM. BTW
Larry, if you're lurking, what's the current status of this (IMVHO long
overdue) project?

[ADDED WRT to the above para: OSTIV is supposed to be working CD-ROM
distribution of old articles
according to my last contact about a year ago.]

CDROM??? How about an OSTIV website where technical articles are
published. There is a rumour that this internet thing has been
invented and it is meant to be pretty neat.

Al??

You'd think it ws classified military research by the difficulty in
accessing Ostiv papers.

Mike Borgelt

Actually, in re-reading my post of this time last year, OSTIV has a
news-letter where availability of back issues is announced though that's not
clear from the website. Despite the joint publication of the journal, SSA
never included this in Soaring.

I'm not aware that anything has actually changed since last year. I did
volunteer at that point (third time) to assist in helping get back issues
into some electronic format for distribution.

Don't see where much has changed in the interim though there must be new
material from the OSTIV Congress at Leszno.

Earlier reply follows.

Frank Whiteley

"George William Peter Reinhart" wrote in message
Group,
I would like to know if anyone has any knowledge of what has become of
"Technical Soaring".
I sent the SSA money for a one year subscription well over a year ago and
have yet to receive an issue.
Calling the SSA office gets an answer that goes something like "we don't
have any articles to publish".
Can this really be true?
The SSA is still trolling for subscribers in the publications section of
the web site ads, but not in the current issue of the magazine so I wonder
if they (the publication) have just quietly folded and faded away into the
night and forgotten to update the web site, or if there is a grand
re-opening issue at hand.
Cheers!, Pete

George, don't know if you received any answers yet.

I wrote to Loek Boermans, OSTIV President, and received a reply today. All
available materials from Bayreuth, and SSA materials had dried up. Working
with Bernald Smith, Loek formed an action plan for future issues and
Technical Soaring will be published shortly starting with Nr 4, 2001. Loek
has 25 or fewer copies of back issues in stock if you would like some of
them. Several contain very important work. You may contact him directly,
or also ask the SSA if they have copies. A new website is being developed
that I would hope will advertise and index the availability of back issues
by article. There are no plans to publish on CD at this time.

Loek explains further

"Up to now I did not send the Renewal/Application Form 2002 to the OSTIV
Members because they did not get Technical Soaring since No.3, 2001.
As soon as TS No 4 is received by the OSTIV Members, they will get the OSTIV
News-letter with info about activities in the Sailplane Development Panel,
Training and Safety Panel and Meteorological Panel, info about the previous
Seminar in Mafikeng and the next Congress in Leszno( time table, Call for
Papers, List of Accomodations, Prices etc.), Renewal/Application Form 2002
and 2003, and Publication Order Form."

So if you are doing some seminal work in the art and science of soaring,
including structures, safety, drag, wing things, etc. get those papers
ready.

In the meantime, contact OSTIV via
http://www.fai.org/fai_members/ostiv.html.

So it appears things are getting back on track.

Frank Whiteley

(you can google rec.aviation.soaring on OSTIV and Technical Soaring for my
earlier takes on how SSA has handled this, ineffectively for at least the
past 5 years IMVHO. I'm glad BS has stepped up to the plate. Guess I
should have contacted LB personally much sooner)

----