Google Earth Heathrow 9L approach

Old April 14th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Google Earth Heathrow 9L approach

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

Old April 14th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

Look again...

It may be a shadow

Old April 14th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "news.east.cox.net" said:
I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

Remember that the Google Earth image is stitched together from many photo
passes. There are numerous places where the same aircraft appears several
times.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Integration by parts -- a very powerful technique."
Old April 14th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

The second aircraft ,the one not over the numbers looks just like the one on
Google maps.
Take a look at the same location on www.maps.google.com and you'll see that
the second
aircraft is exactly over the same patch of farm as the other image on Google
earth.
As you'll notice between the two images, one does not have the plane over
the numbers.
The only explanation I can come up with is that it is two separate images
taken at different
times then pasted / blended together.

David
KORL

Old April 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

More Trivia;
If you have to rent a car at Heathrow, make it Hertz.
Their rental booth is right at the touchdown zone of one runway (not sure
which) and if they are landing that way when you pick up the car you will have
just about the closest view of large aircraft touching down this side of
getting killed!

Maybe if you pay Hertz they'll let you work there!

GF

Old April 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

No way, separation is normal. What is different is that no plane gets a
clearance to land until the runway is clear. So there is only one clearance
to land operating at any one time.

If there is no clearance then its a go around. That's only going to happen
if some dork misses one of the high speed turnoffs.

Someone mentions the Hertz lot being a good place to see the landings. It is
when the wind is from the East and the landings are on 09L. You can smell
the rubber when they land.

However the prevailing winds are from the West most landings are on 27L
&27R. However the takes off on 27R are equally awesome and a few car alarms
often go off in the car park as a result of the noise and the vortex
whipping through.

They switch over the landing and take off runways about 3pm which can cause
a bit of fun.

Old April 15th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"gatt" wrote

Maybe. Could be a composite photo. It's funny that you mentioned it
though because I just installed GE last week and noticed the same thing.
The only reason I googled Heathrow is because we stayed in the hotel just
north of the approach end of 9L filming Robot Wars one time. The whole
hotel is soundproofed, but when the opposite runway is used, those 747s
taking off rocked the whole hotel complex.

Speaking of looking around, I was doing just that, and at an airport
somewhat near London, came upon a big delta wing airplane, military,
obviously. What is that?
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

I guess they have different separation rules over there.

The satellite must take pictures, about 10 or 20 seconds apart. If you
look, you can follow that plane in several pictures, all of the way to the
terminal.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message news:f2T%

I'm looking at the approach end of 9L at Heathrow on Google Earth.

Look right over the numbers, then look back a few hundred feet.

Actually, he's back about 1800 feet. Now look forward about 1800 feet from
the craft over the numbers. Now, look 1500 feet forward of that. Odd. Now
look at all the shadows. It appears that the plane over the numbers may be
a bit off the ground, while the two craft ahead on the runway are actually
on the ground, and the craft 1800 feet back on final is higher up still.

Old April 15th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris" wrote in message

If there is no clearance then its a go around. That's only going to happen
if some dork misses one of the high speed turnoffs.

Dork?