Google Earth

Old October 20th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Google Earth

Glider on tow, even tow rope visible.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=1026131

Old November 15th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not seeing glider or tow plane. Just SW of the "Plane towing glider" marker, I do see a twin engine aircraft. Unlikely that is a tow plane.

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Glider on tow, even tow rope visible.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=1026131

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old November 15th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Frank Whiteley wrote:
Glider on tow, even tow rope visible.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/download.php?Number=1026131

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
C-206, CFII Airplane&Glider, FAA-DEN Aviation Safety Counselor
CAP-CO Mission&Aircraft CheckPilot BM218 HAM N0FZD 263 Young Eagles!

You should have looked sooner as it looks like the picture has been
updated.

If you zoom out and track about 340degs NNW there is a glider club,
Devon & Somerset AKA North Hill between Broad Rd and Hangar Lane,
http://www.dsgc.co.uk. You can zoom in and see four gliders on the
ground and several trailers. There is an airport NNE at 10degs, EGTU
Dunkeswell (AKA RAF Dundeswell AKA USNAF Dunkeswell 1943-1949). Looks
like the twin is turning final for EGTU.

I flew at North Hill in the late 1970's, getting a site check off the
winch in a Bergfalke III(?). They had to clear the sheep off the
field before flying. The ridge wasn't working too well that day.
Land of smallish fields and stone walls. Also got some rough scrumpy
in Taunton during that trip.

Frank Whiteley