3 Free TP Task qualifies for 1,000k Diploma?

Old January 19th 05, 06:10 PM
Stewart Kissel

Default 3 Free TP Task qualifies for 1,000k Diploma?

I know someone out there in cyberspace has this answer....

If one declares TP's in the air, or post task...can
this flight qualify for a 1,000k diploma? Or do I
misunderstand the 3 Free rules?

How would that differ from the Diamond Distance requirements?
Or does it differ?

Old January 19th 05, 08:03 PM
Marc Ramsey

Stewart Kissel wrote:
I know someone out there in cyberspace has this answer....

If one declares TP's in the air, or post task...can
this flight qualify for a 1,000k diploma? Or do I
misunderstand the 3 Free rules?

How would that differ from the Diamond Distance requirements?
Or does it differ?

No, you can't declare turnpoints in the air for a 1000K diploma, as it
is a "distance" task, not a "free distance" task. What you can do for
the 1000K (and/or Diamond distance) is declare up to 3 turnpoints before
takeoff, plus start and/or finish if desired, then during flight claim
none, 1, 2, or all 3, in any order. Your distance will measured from
the start point, around any turnpoints in the order claimed, to the
finish point (which needn't be the declared finish, if there is one).

Marc
Old January 19th 05, 09:39 PM
Mark James Boyd

So as far as I understand it, if you have a nice linear
feature you want to fly back and forth along, you can fly
back and forth twice (4 straight legs total) and that's
it. Pick two turnpoints 250km away, and then fly
there and back twice.

S 1
2
F 3

--------------------------250km----------------------

Now Marc, I'm pretty sure that 1 and 3 must be
10km apart, right? But Start, TP2, and Finish
could all be the same point, right? I think the
rules say that turnpoints must be 10km away from each
other, but start and finish points are NOT technically
turnpoints, as I read it.

If you want to be safe from freaky interpretation,
I'm sure you could just make S, 2, and F 10km apart also

Does this kind of course mesh with what everybody else
thinks? Anybody think it's wrong?

--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old January 19th 05, 09:55 PM
Mal.com

http://www.fai.org/gliding/

HTH

http://www2.onlinecontest.org

Old January 19th 05, 10:14 PM
Mark James Boyd

Mal.com wrote:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/

Turn Point: A way point between two LEGS of a flight.

Well, neither a start point or a finish point are between two legs of
a flight.

Free distance using three turnpoints:
The turn points must be at least 10 kilometers apart and
may be claimed only once.

Aha...1.4.4 Distance performances for badges and records
b. DISTANCE USING UP TO THREE TURN POINTS
The turn points must be at least 10 kilometers apart and may be
claimed once, in any sequence, or not at all.

Note that the start and finish points are not turn points
unless specifically declared as such.

Old January 20th 05, 12:48 AM
Stewart Kissel

Looks like I gotta spend some quality time with Section
3...but I *think* I understand...

Let's use this example..Declare a Start, 3 TP's, a
Finish

1.) Clouds look great straight-out, so off you go
with a flight using no TP's or the declared Finish...for
a Straight Out flight.

2.) You make the first TP, then abandon the other
2 TP's...and head off to a non-declared landing for
an Out and Back?

I understand the 10km rule...although not certain why
we have it. Am I making this more complex then it
really is?

Old January 20th 05, 03:56 PM
RHWOODY

Hi Stewart, I believe you cannot get the
1000 km diploma for anything less
than "declared before launch" flights -
I got my diploma for a pre-declared
flight in Namibia with 3 TPs plus the
home field (bow tie shape) - I do not
know of anyone who got the 1000 Km
Diploma with flights where the TPs
were declared during or after the flight.
Namibia was great this season -
I flew 5 flights of 1000 km+ (1082, 1036, 1024, 1005, 1002) and many in the
900s and 800s - but we concentrate on
1000 km flights and really don't think
much about those under 1000 km.
108 flight hours, 19 flights during the
2.5 months I was there (I don't try to
fly every day - just the really good days),
12, 423 km total distance. Great fun.
How are you doing? I hope you had
a great Christmas and New Years.
Best regards, Woody