ARE RAMP CHECKS RAMPING UP?

Old January 26th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ARE RAMP CHECKS RAMPING UP?

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:18:06 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Mike Weller" wrote)
[From and earlier post]
I'm going to post another story about a flight I had to take with them
(one). He asked to land the airplane after a check ride and he did but...

Mike Weller

PS. there are four that were remarkable.

Ready for the stories when you are. :-)

Montblack

Ok,

Number One, out of more than four. The statutes of limitation have
passed.

The FSDO at Birmingham had a rule that the airport had to be at better
than "twice minimums" for us to take the check ride. I'm not sure why,
but Birmingham has always been a "funny" place to fly into. I knew at
the time that it was a training spot for new air traffic controllers
and that didn't bother them or me.

Well, the weather was sort of "really funny" that day. They cleared
me for a visual, and I thought that I had the airport in sight. After
all, I was going there to take a check ride, and I was praying that
the weather would be OK.

About that time the controller came back and said to me, "Hey look out
there!" A DC-8 busted through the clouds right ahead of me.

And I really didn't know what to do except to report that the airport
was in sight. It didn't seem to be the time to tell them that a
shopping center's access road wasn't really the airport.

You don't just show up at the FSDO with an appointment to see an
Inspector do you?

I'll continue this later, but the phone just rang.

Mike Weller

Old January 26th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Denny wrote:
Customs are sworn officers with guns, batons, manacles, and
attitudes...

They carry bigger attitudes than anybody else with a badge that I have
ever encountered.

Jack
Old January 26th 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Denny" wrote:
The only action
the FAA can take is to send you a registered letter announcing
emergency revocation of your certificates...

A representative of the FAA may not have police power, but he or she may
have the phone number for the local police or FBI on speed dial.... :-(

Here's one article on this subject with the good and bad pointed out,
titled "Hi, I'm from the FAA, Can We Talk?":

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueD99J00/legal.html
Old January 26th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

I graduated HS at 6' and 145. Long time since I saw either of those. g

Long time since I saw any of the three GGG

Old January 26th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:57:53 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

"Denny" wrote:
The only action
the FAA can take is to send you a registered letter announcing
emergency revocation of your certificates...

A representative of the FAA may not have police power, but he or she may
have the phone number for the local police or FBI on speed dial.... :-(

Here's one article on this subject with the good and bad pointed out,
titled "Hi, I'm from the FAA, Can We Talk?":

http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueD99J00/legal.html

Boy, I've wished that I had their problems...

"The pilot had asked the FBO's line crew to top off the tip tanks.
While this was going on, the inspectors asked to see the load
manifest—the weight and balance determination—for the aircraft. They
found some errors. Specifically, the weight for the crew was too light
by about 220 pounds"

Mike Weller

Old January 27th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:57:53 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

In all fairness, I'll post a follow up...

I had a "friend and we're from the FAA and we would like to help you!"

His name was Bill Whitmore.

Let me put this in context first.

Bob Hoover had given a demo flight a few weeks before in an Aero
Commander Shrike where he shut down both engines and did some really
cool stuff before he rolled to a stop in front of the crowd at the
Smyrna Tennessee airport.

Very shortly after that (a few days), a couple of flight instructors
landed at Murfreesboro and shut off the engine on the runway and had
enough speed (energy) to coast to a stop at the fuel pump.

Mr. Whitmore had driven down from Nashville, and was just chatting
with us and talking flying. It's important to know that Bill Whitmore
was "THE FAA". He was a wonderful man who had our respect.

The next thing was a learning experience for me and the rest of us.

He took them in for a "talk" in a back room at the airport shack.

We were standing outside, and sort of wondering what he was going to
do to them. We were as quiet as we could be, and sort of laughing,
but you could hear a muffled voice booming out every few minutes.

You can't believe how those two guys looked when they came out of
there.

That, to me, was the epitome of how the a senior FAA man should handle
things.

Mike Weller

Old January 27th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

[...]

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Old January 27th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:43:04 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Impressive, but not exactly the thing to do in front of "THE MAN".

Mike Weller

Old January 27th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA
if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up
with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Impressive, but not exactly the thing to do in front of "THE MAN".

Mike Weller

Inquiring minds want to know why?

Old January 28th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

Handle what things? Guess I am dense but what business is it of the FAA
if
I want to shut down and coast to the pumps? In fact I can remember doing
just that on a couple of occasions. Seems safer to me than rolling up
with
the meat cleaver spinning. Sorry, but the story doesn't make sense. I'd
say Mr. Whitmore stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

Put it into the context of when and where it happened.

They shut off the engine on the runway, the prop stopped, and then
they rolled at least a another quarter of a mile after making a 45
degree turn off the runway, rolled down the taxiway, and the made
another quick turn and stop to get to the gas pumps.

Impressive, but not exactly the thing to do in front of "THE MAN".

Mike Weller

Inquiring minds want to know why?

What did they do wrong? What actual reg did they break? Was there some
kind of safety violation?