*You are NOT an American...*

Old July 3rd 04, 04:33 AM
X98

Default *You are NOT an American...*

Peace to all Honorable Americans,

7/2/04

Be a good Americans on this fourth of July... and Revolt against the
Terrorism of The Bush Crime Family. Rise up as did those who founded
this government. Let their spirit live in your hearts, your hands, and
in your mouths.

There are times when silence is a crime. If you do not stand against
this criminal nation on this Sunday

*You are NOT an American...*

you have nothing to do with her...

in fact you are her ENEMY!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

"It's impossible for words to describe
what is necessary to those who do not
know what horror means. Horror. Horror
has a face, and you must make a friend
of horror. Horror and moral terror are
your friends. If they are not, then they are
enemies to be feared.

They are truly enemies."

[Kurtz "Apocalypse Now"]

////////

"Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have
never seen before, and hope never to see again. Oh, I wasn't touched.
I was fascinated. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that
ivory face the expression of somber pride, of ruthless power, of
craven terror -- of an intense and hopeless despair. Did he live his
life again in every detail of desire, temptation, and surrender during
that supreme moment of complete knowledge? He cried in a whisper at
some image, at some vision -- he cried out twice, a cry that was no
more than a breath:

"The horror! The horror!"

[Joseph Conrad, "The Heart of Darkness" Kurtz]

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Ali Andrew X98

Waco Protest-April 19, 2004
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WACOun...ed/message/800
Cover-up Church.
http://www.public-action.com/SkyWrit...c/x98_rev.html
Interview with Carol A. Valentine.
http://www.public-action.com/SkyWrit...age/b_kce.html
List of Autopsy Reports.
http://www.public-action.com/SkyWrit.../d_list00.html
////////////////////////

June 2003 Issue

It Seems to Me Howard Zinn

Dying for the Government

http://www.progressive.org/june03/zinn0603.html

Our government has declared a military victory in Iraq. As a patriot,
I will not celebrate. I will mourn the dead--the American GIs, and
also the Iraqi dead, of whom there have been many, many more.

I will mourn the Iraqi children, not just those who are dead, but
those who have been blinded, crippled, disfigured, or traumatized. We
have not been given in the American media (we would need to read the
foreign press) a full picture of the human suffering caused by our
bombing.

We got precise figures for the American dead, but not for the Iraqis.
Recall Colin Powell after the first Gulf War, when he reported the
"small" number of U.S. dead, and when asked about the Iraqi dead,
replied: "That is really not a matter I am terribly interested in."

As a patriot, contemplating the dead GIs, I could comfort myself (as,
understandably, their families do) with the thought: "They died for
their country." But I would be lying to myself.

Those who died in this war did not die for their country. They died
for their government. They died for Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld. And
yes, they died for the greed of the oil cartels, for the expansion of
the American empire, for the political ambitions of the President.
They died to cover up the theft of the nation's wealth to pay for the
machines of death.

The distinction between dying for your country and dying for your
government is crucial in understanding what I believe to be the
definition of patriotism in a democracy. According to the Declaration
of Independence--the fundamental document of democracy--governments
are artificial creations, established by the people, "deriving their
just powers from the consent of the governed," and charged by the
people to ensure the equal right of all to "life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness." Furthermore, as the Declaration says, "whenever
any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the
right of the people to alter or abolish it."

It is the country that is primary--the people, the ideals of the
sanctity of human life and the promotion of liberty. When a government
recklessly expends the lives of its young for crass motives of profit
and power, always claiming that its motives are pure and moral
("Operation Just Cause" was the invasion of Panama and "Operation
Iraqi Freedom" in the present instance), it is violating its promise
to the country. War is almost always a breaking of that promise. It
does not enable the pursuit of happiness but brings despair and grief.

Mark Twain, having been called a "traitor" for criticizing the U.S.
invasion of the Philippines, derided what he called "monarchical
patriotism." He said: "The gospel of the monarchical patriotism is:
'The King can do no wrong.' We have adopted it with all its servility,
with an unimportant change in the wording: 'Our country, right or
wrong!' We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had--the
individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he believed
them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it, all that
was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word,
Patriotism."

If patriotism in the best sense (not in the monarchical sense) is
loyalty to the principles of democracy, then who was the true patriot,
Theodore Roosevelt, who applauded a massacre by American soldiers of
600 Filipino men, women, and children on a remote Philippine island,
or Mark Twain, who denounced it?

With the war in Iraq won, shall we revel in American military power
and--against the history of modern empires--insist that the American
empire will be beneficent?

Our own history shows something different. It begins with what was
called, in our high school history classes, "westward expansion"--a
euphemism for the annihilation or expulsion of the Indian tribes
inhabiting the continent, all in the name of "progress" and
"civilization." It continues with the expansion of American power into
the Caribbean at the turn of the century, then into the Philippines,
and then repeated Marine invasions of Central America and long
military occupations of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.

After World War II, Henry Luce, owner of Time, Life, and Fortune,
spoke of "the American Century," in which this country would organize
the world "as we see fit." Indeed, the expansion of American power
continued, too often supporting military dictatorships in Asia,
Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, because they were friendly to
American corporations and the American government.

The record does not justify confidence in Bush's boast that the United
States will bring democracy to Iraq. Should Americans welcome the
expansion of the nation's power, with the anger this has generated
among so many people in the world? Should we welcome the huge growth
of the military budget at the expense of health, education, the needs
of children, one fifth of whom grow up in poverty?

I suggest that a patriotic American who cares for his or her country
might act on behalf of a different vision. Instead of being feared for
our military prowess, we should want to be respected for our
dedication to human rights.

Should we not begin to redefine patriotism? We need to expand it
beyond that narrow nationalism that has caused so much death and
suffering. If national boundaries should not be obstacles to
trade--some call it "globalization"--should they also not be obstacles
to compassion and generosity?

Should we not begin to consider all children, everywhere, as our own?
In that case, war, which in our time is always an assault on children,
would be unacceptable as a solution to the problems of the world.
Human ingenuity would have to search for other ways.

Howard Zinn, the author of "A People's History of the United States,"
is a columnist for The Progressive.
Old July 3rd 04, 05:05 AM
MLenoch

X98