A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Irma and TCSC

Old September 6th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach
Old September 6th 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

In a class 5, even a hangar probably won't protect the equipment. Get the hell outa Dodge!

Boggs
Old September 7th 17, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

Don't think it will be a 5 by that time.

DC
Old September 7th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:54:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Don't think it will be a 5 by that time.

DC

Is that just a hunch or is there some science / data to back up that assertion?
Old September 7th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

4 or 5, the best thing to do is move them, if you can find a place where it's not going to blow that hard. I hate to see gliders, and buildings with gliders in them destroyed. It's looking like there is going to be a lot of damage soon in Florida. Hope this isn't the new normal...

Boggs
Old September 8th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach

Everything is locked down and we are hoping for the best. I have two Pawnee's and two glass ships secured in the hangar at FD25 and hopefully things will be fine. We are riding this storm out and the generator is ready along with food and a big cooler of water and beer.
Old September 9th 17, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

Irma getting closer and we are as prepared as we can be. Does anyone know what the other clubs or commercial operations in Florida have done to prepare for this beast. Miami Gliders, Labelle, Tampa, Seminole, and North Florida.
Old September 9th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:

Irma getting closer and we are as prepared as we can be. Does anyone know what the other clubs or commercial operations in Florida have done to prepare for this beast. Miami Gliders, Labelle, Tampa, Seminole, and North Florida.

I received a FB message from Rich @ Seminole-Lakes. They have a Cat 4 hanger and all their aircraft and gliders/trailers have been put in it. Rich also said they even took down the flag pole. Not sure about the private gliders and where/or if they went anywhere.

Best. Tom #711.

Old September 9th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

All of our aircraft with Citrus Soaring are secured as well as possible in hangars etc.

Eagle Sport that is also based at Pierson has all of their aircraft in hangars also.

As Tom mentioned Seminole Lake is all secure.

North Florida Soaring posted on Facebook that their fleet is now in hangars also.

Not sure about any of the other clubs at this time.

Franklin Burbank
Old September 9th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Irma and TCSC

What's your elevation?
How far from the coast?
What's the expected storm surge?

Hoping for the best!

Dan

On 9/9/2017 9:33 AM, Citrus Soaring wrote:
All of our aircraft with Citrus Soaring are secured as well as possible in hangars etc.

Eagle Sport that is also based at Pierson has all of their aircraft in hangars also.

As Tom mentioned Seminole Lake is all secure.

North Florida Soaring posted on Facebook that their fleet is now in hangars also.

Not sure about any of the other clubs at this time.

Franklin Burbank

--
Dan, 5J