Irma and TCSC

Old September 6th 17, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Irma and TCSC

Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach
Old September 6th 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

In a class 5, even a hangar probably won't protect the equipment. Get the hell outa Dodge!

Boggs
Old September 7th 17, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't think it will be a 5 by that time.

DC
Old September 7th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:54:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Don't think it will be a 5 by that time.

DC

Is that just a hunch or is there some science / data to back up that assertion?
Old September 7th 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

4 or 5, the best thing to do is move them, if you can find a place where it's not going to blow that hard. I hate to see gliders, and buildings with gliders in them destroyed. It's looking like there is going to be a lot of damage soon in Florida. Hope this isn't the new normal...

Boggs
Old September 8th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach

Everything is locked down and we are hoping for the best. I have two Pawnee's and two glass ships secured in the hangar at FD25 and hopefully things will be fine. We are riding this storm out and the generator is ready along with food and a big cooler of water and beer.
Old September 9th 17, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach

Irma getting closer and we are as prepared as we can be. Does anyone know what the other clubs or commercial operations in Florida have done to prepare for this beast. Miami Gliders, Labelle, Tampa, Seminole, and North Florida.
Old September 9th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 4:35:28 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 6:24:23 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well, it looks bad and there is no time to wait. We have been boxing gliders all day and I flew the Yellow Gorilla to a more secure location at my home on FD25. We will batten down the hatches and hope for the best, but this ole girl looks bad.
Hope all the other glider clubs have the hangars available to protect their assets. hope all of you fare well in the monster. Bob , Vero Beach

Irma getting closer and we are as prepared as we can be. Does anyone know what the other clubs or commercial operations in Florida have done to prepare for this beast. Miami Gliders, Labelle, Tampa, Seminole, and North Florida.

I received a FB message from Rich @ Seminole-Lakes. They have a Cat 4 hanger and all their aircraft and gliders/trailers have been put in it. Rich also said they even took down the flag pole. Not sure about the private gliders and where/or if they went anywhere.

Best. Tom #711.

Old September 9th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring

All of our aircraft with Citrus Soaring are secured as well as possible in hangars etc.

Eagle Sport that is also based at Pierson has all of their aircraft in hangars also.

As Tom mentioned Seminole Lake is all secure.

North Florida Soaring posted on Facebook that their fleet is now in hangars also.

Not sure about any of the other clubs at this time.

Franklin Burbank
Old September 9th 17, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What's your elevation?
How far from the coast?
What's the expected storm surge?