Blow out static port

Old May 2nd 05, 09:01 AM

Default Blow out static port

Hi group,

There are larve in my static ports again.
The problem is that I do not have compressed air to blow them out.
I was thinking about using CO2 cartridges like they use for emergency
tire repairs. Or maybe a bicycle pump will do the job.
My concern is the max pressure I can use before I damage something.
I know that I have to de-couple the static lines from the instruments.

I'm going to try to build something to block the ports.
The ports are about 1/8"dia. and 1/4" deep. A pin will do the job but
I'm afraid that even a small remove-before-flight flag will pull them
out in some wind.

-Kees.

Old May 2nd 05, 03:14 PM
Blanche

Disconnect the lines! I had a pitot/static test done (that IFR test)
a couple years ago and the moron didn't understand how to do it (a
student learning under the direction of the A&P who was someplace
else) and cost me $3K to replace/repair and re-install everything.
And since I can't prove it, my loss.

As for keeping this from happening again...the classic tennis ball
solution -- slice it open about an inch, slip over the pitot tube.

Old May 2nd 05, 05:54 PM
pittss1c

I knew a guy that did this with his pitot system, and unfortunately
found out there was a junction somewhere difficult to get to in the
middle of his wing (that came disconnected when he tried to blow out the
pitot tube). There was much swearing.

Old May 2nd 05, 06:48 PM

Hi group,

There are larve in my static ports again.

Disconnect the static line as close to the static port blockage as
possible and blow out (not toward the instruments).

Depending on the type of bug, you may not have any other choice but
compressed air. There's some type of larvae that find the tiny static
hole in my pitot blade to be just the right size for growing. They
build some kind of goopy cocoon in there. Every time I've blown them
out it took more that 120 lbs. of pressure to get them to budge.

Good luck,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 2nd 05, 07:45 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Hi group,

There are larve in my static ports again.

Had one of these on the C152:
http://www.theflightdepot.com/acft_accessories.html

We've had the flap type on the Tri-Pacer and now on the C172. Just blow
on it before flight to test that its functioning. Purchased from a local
parts supplier...

We've screened over the overflow tubes as well...
Old May 2nd 05, 07:58 PM
Robert M. Gary

Legally, if you disconnect the lines they must be recertified by an
avionics shop. Not even an A&P can disconnect static lines.

Old May 2nd 05, 08:48 PM
RST Engineering

Really? I'm not doubting that you found this provision somewhere, but I
don't recall it. Mind giving a chapter and verse?

And I think that if the provision exists, the "certification" (again,
chapter and verse) would be by an instrument repair facility, not an
avionics facility.

Jim

ps.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 09:46 PM
Scott Skylane

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Legally, if you disconnect the lines they must be recertified by an
avionics shop. Not even an A&P can disconnect static lines.

Robert,

A) Arguably, anyone can disconnect anything they like on an aircraft.
It's the returning to service part that will require some sort of
official blessing.

B) As I read 91.411(b)(3), any Airframe Mechanic can perform the
required static system tests after opening up the system.

C) Such testing is only required *if* the aircraft is to be operated in
controlled airspace under IFR.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054
Old May 2nd 05, 09:53 PM
Peter Clark

On Mon, 2 May 2005 12:48:53 -0700, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Really? I'm not doubting that you found this provision somewhere, but I
don't recall it. Mind giving a chapter and verse?

I would think that any A&P can open the system, but if they do and the
aircraft wants to fly IFR I think they'd be subject to shipping it
over to a proper facility to do an AST.

91.411(a)(2) - "Except for the use of system drain and alternate
static pressure valves, following any opening and closing of the
static pressure system, that system has been tested and inspected and
found to comply with paragraph (a), appendices E and F, of part 43 of
this chapter; ..."

43(e)(1) "Test by an appropriately rated repair facility in
accordance with the following subparagraphs." does seem to support
that it has to be a repair station, but what's the practical
difference between an avionics shop and repair station?

Is my static port leaking? Derrick Early Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 15th 04 01:13 AM
Why a static port? Paul Mennen Owning 11 August 19th 03 04:58 AM
Is a static port a precision thing? Larry Smith Home Built 8 August 12th 03 10:26 PM
Static in KX-165A Chad Lemmen Owning 3 July 21st 03 09:57 PM
Canard static port location Paul Lee Home Built 1 July 12th 03 02:55 AM