A Kid Flying a Duckhawk?

Old November 4th 13, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Kid Flying a Duckhawk?

On Monday, November 4, 2013 5:08:22 AM UTC-5, Tom Claffey wrote:
The Duckhawk is radical in some ways, not always a bad thing, not always

good.

As someone from outside the USA I could not care less whether it is from

there, Europe or Africa. If it is a better aircraft then I am interested,

IF certified.

I hope to see one in Poland this year, pity we couldn't see it in Uvalde.

An 18M version will sell more overseas than 15M. From what I have seen

sales do not seem to be big on the builders agenda?

Tom

PS: unlike some views, mine is that it came second in it's first comp, a

Canadian in an ASG29 won! (Regardless of the hype)

At 14:11 02 November 2013, Ron Gleason wrote:

On Friday, 1 November 2013 09:18:32 UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

I would absulutely LOVE to have one. There's just that thing about the

price. Sure, it's somewhat less expensive than the European

competition,

but it's still quite a lot. Not saying it's not worth it.

Kudos to the designers and builders!

Bit off topic here but is it less expensive then European gliders?

Anyone

know current cost of Ventus 2 or ASG 29 (in 15 meter config) or other 15

meter gliders? We all understand the fluctuations in the euro but am

curious.

Ron Gleason

Bear in mind that Chip Garner flew that glider having flown it only once prior... I think that's rather impressive he did as well as he did in it with so little experience.

Regards,
Daniel Sazhin
Old November 4th 13, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Excellent report Daniel, thanks for sharing
Old November 4th 13, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just curious; are there no experimental aircraft allowed in Europe or is it
just your preference for certificated aircraft?

Old November 4th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 4, 2013 9:44:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Chip's result was due to his outstanding skills as a pilot, especially in tricky changable weather like we had in that contest. He likely would have had the same result flying his Discus 2. That contest had nothing to do with sailplane performance and everything to do with pilot skills. Chip is also used to adjusting to borrowed gliders.
Just another point of view
UH
Old November 4th 13, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:32:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Of course, but at the very least it shows it does not take away from Chip's piloting and he's able to use his outstanding skills in short order in this sailplane. A glider that has many quirks and is difficult to handle would be much more difficult to utilize its performance so quickly...

Daniel
Old November 4th 13, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Greg Cole, 2012 Barnaby lecture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9fuR8uwIc

Discussion of DH starts about 17 minutes in.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old November 5th 13, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 15:06 04 November 2013, Dan Marotta wrote:
Just curious; are there no experimental aircraft allowed in Europe or is

it

just your preference for certificated aircraft?

No, we do not have a preference. What we do have is an organisation called
EASA. The people at EASA are probably the most ignorant people on the
planet, they come from all the member states of the EU and mostly from the
airline/manufacturer industries and their aim seems to be to regulate
anyone, except airliners, out of the sky.

The only other thing against the Duckhawk is the name. Perhaps Hobby,
Peregrine or Osprey might have had a better ring to it.

If it swims like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck chances
are it is a duck.

Old November 5th 13, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Experimental aircraft exist in Europe, but they have to be at least 51% homebuilt.

Old November 5th 13, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:04:40 AM UTC-5, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 15:06 04 November 2013, Dan Marotta wrote: Just curious; are there no experimental aircraft allowed in Europe or is it just your preference for certificated aircraft? No, we do not have a preference. What we do have is an organisation called EASA. The people at EASA are probably the most ignorant people on the planet, they come from all the member states of the EU and mostly from the airline/manufacturer industries and their aim seems to be to regulate anyone, except airliners, out of the sky. The only other thing against the Duckhawk is the name. Perhaps Hobby, Peregrine or Osprey might have had a better ring to it. If it swims like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck chances are it is a duck.

Duckhawk is another name for the Perigrine Falcon.
And it don't fly like no duck.
UH

Duckhawk [email protected] Soaring 7 September 19th 13 09:02 PM
Duckhawk wins Richard Walters Soaring 24 May 30th 12 04:26 PM
Duckhawk: a real chance of winning US 15m nationals.... Sean Fidler (F2) Soaring 13 May 23rd 12 02:23 AM
Windward Duckhawk RossFW Soaring 1 August 2nd 10 02:33 PM
Duxford Flying Legends 2008 - B-17 Flying Fortresses - 26/26 - dx08fl_b17_pinklady_0713_2165.jpg (1/1) - 163 kb D. St-Sanvain Aviation Photos 0 July 17th 08 07:55 PM