Gweduck Flies!

Old February 21st 08, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default Gweduck Flies!

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, Ron Wanttaja said:
(BTW, for those who are wondering: It's a Pacific Northwest clam,
pronounced
"Gooey Duck.")

Isn't the clam usually spelt "geoduck"?

Yep. You can call a flying clam anything you want to, especially one that
nice! g
--
Jim in NC

Old February 21st 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2008-02-19 23:14:21 -0800, Ron Wanttaja said:

Homebuilt twin-engine composite amphibian had a "Spruce Goose moment" a week or
two ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHc5U7VPnmU

(BTW, for those who are wondering: It's a Pacific Northwest clam, pronounced
"Gooey Duck.")

http://www.gweduc.com/

Ron Wanttaja

Great video, Ron. Lovely plane. Was that at Renton?

Why the unusual spelling for geoduck?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 21st 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Morgans wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, Ron Wanttaja said:
(BTW, for those who are wondering: It's a Pacific Northwest clam,
pronounced
"Gooey Duck.")

Isn't the clam usually spelt "geoduck"?

Yep. You can call a flying clam anything you want to, especially one that
nice! g

Flying clam gives an entirely new meaning to "clam up." Yes, I know
someone with mention the engines are recips and thus bivalves.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 22nd 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ted[_2_]

Ron,
How exciting to hear that about the history of that ramp you wrote
about. As many times as my wife would go out to Renton Field to watch all
the awesome stuff going on I never new that. Pretty cool!! THANKS!! Ted

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:57:14 -0800, John Ammeter

wrote:
Anthony W wrote:

Homebuilt twin-engine composite amphibian had a "Spruce Goose moment"
a week or two ago:

Where did they do the test flight? It reminds me of Young's Bay.

My guess is at Renton Field, south end of Lake Washington near Seattle.

John

Yup, John's right: The plane was built in the Ellison hangar on Renton
Airport,
on Lake Washington. The seaplane ramp in the video is the same place
Wiley Post
and Will Rogers left from, and where the Douglas World Cruisers got
themselves
switched to float gear for the trip to Alaska.

Ron Wanttaja

Old February 22nd 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:02:41 -0800, C J Campbell
wrote:

Why the unusual spelling for geoduck?

I suspect it's a play on words... the Grumman amphibians are all named after
waterfowl, and Ellison started out building essentially a composite Widgeon. A
"Geoduck" sounds like it *could* be a waterfowl, keeping with the Grumman
tradition, yet it would more likely be pronounced "Geo Duck." So they used the
alternate spelling ("Gweduc") and added a "K" to turn it amphibious again.

The test pilot (also one of the builders) is a longtime member of our EAA
Chapter (in fact, he's the guy who checked me out in Fly Babies back in the
'80s) and while he was President, we had our chapter officer's meeting in the
hangar where the Gweduck was coming together. One heck of an interesting bird.

Their goal is to get it to Oshkosh this summer.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 22nd 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
C J Campbell[_1_]

wrote:

Why the unusual spelling for geoduck?

I suspect it's a play on words... the Grumman amphibians are all named after
waterfowl, and Ellison started out building essentially a composite Widgeon. A
"Geoduck" sounds like it *could* be a waterfowl, keeping with the Grumman
tradition, yet it would more likely be pronounced "Geo Duck." So they used the
alternate spelling ("Gweduc") and added a "K" to turn it amphibious again.

The test pilot (also one of the builders) is a longtime member of our EAA
Chapter (in fact, he's the guy who checked me out in Fly Babies back in the
'80s) and while he was President, we had our chapter officer's meeting in the
hangar where the Gweduck was coming together. One heck of an interesting bird.

Their goal is to get it to Oshkosh this summer.

Ron Wanttaja

I knew there was an interesting story behind that.

Old February 23rd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, Ron Wanttaja said:
(BTW, for those who are wondering: It's a Pacific Northwest clam,
pronounced
"Gooey Duck.")

Isn't the clam usually spelt "geoduck"?

Yep. You can call a flying clam anything you want to, especially one that
nice! g

This just goes to show he can't tell his mollusks apart.
(anybody remember the old "adventure" computer game?

Flying is his _oyster_!!

Old February 23rd 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 20, 2:14*am, Ron Wanttaja wrote:
Homebuilt twin-engine composite amphibian had a "Spruce Goose moment" a week or
two ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHc5U7VPnmU

(BTW, for those who are wondering: *It's a Pacific Northwest clam, pronounced
"Gooey Duck.")

http://www.gweduc.com/

Ron Wanttaja

I was looking at this video of the Gweduck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_NWh...eature=related

and was surprised when at 1:59 the engine took a big gulp of spray and
spat it back out. What's behind that scoop, the radiator, the
exhaust? Would tha effect the engine?

Wil
Old February 23rd 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
dave

What engines are on it?
Lycomings?
They spin different directions like some of the old piper twins.

dave

Well, It flies! Doug Palmer Home Built 8 June 17th 07 04:58 PM
Elizabeth flies again, almost Michelle P Owning 5 October 9th 05 11:34 PM
Eclipse flies again! Mike Murdock Owning 0 January 1st 05 12:38 AM
Jet Sailplane Flies! Mhudson126 Soaring 10 January 5th 04 09:10 PM
C-119 flies again Ron Military Aviation 9 December 22nd 03 08:44 AM