Cellphone weather inflight

Old July 21st 09, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cellphone weather inflight

My wife and I made our trip from Wisconsin to Texas on the 4th of July
weekend in our Cessna 172, flying back to Wisconsin the following weekend.
We tried using the Garmin Pilot MyCast application on our Alltel cellphone
in-flight along the way, and while it worked well on the ground during
refuel stops (where we didn't need it since all the airports we stopped at
had an internet computer we could use), we found it really wasn't useable in
the air when we needed it most. We couldn't get a reliable signal above 5000
feet or so, exactly as some folks here had said would be the case, and below
that altitude it was still pretty spotty. We used it for a good weather
update once while we were flying over a larger city (Davenport, Iowa), but
in between cities we often couldn't get a good enough signal to connect. We
tried it when flying over smaller towns, and we'd usually have a good enough
signal while over the town to connect, but the MyCast pages load slowly
enough that by the time we'd get through the first couple of menu pages on
the way to get to the radar depiction, we lost the signal before the radar
picture could load. I suppose we could've flown a couple of 360s waiting on
the radar to load, but it didn't seem worth it. All in all it was a
disappointment, and I wouldn't recommend it. So for us people that only fly
one long cross-country a year and don't need XM weather any other time (and
can't afford it anyway), there just doesn't seem to be a good solution aside
from calling Fligh****ch. If anyone else has had better results I'l like to
hear the details, such as what phone company, type of phone, etc.

By the way, Booneville, Missouri (KVER) had 100 LL for $3.00 a gallon, and
Hannibal, Missouri (KHAE) was even better at $2.95.

Scott Wilson
Old August 2nd 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bill

Not surprised by your result.

I've found that I get best cell coverage going by some small town
where there is one tower. The anti-spoofing software shuts you out
if you are hitting a bunch of towers.

Texting works well; the thing keeps trying till it makes connection.

But downloading is completely hit or miss.

Bill Hale Sprint customer

On Jul 20, 6:32*pm, wrote:
[...]

Cellphone weather inflight [email protected] Owning 14 March 8th 09 03:20 PM
Cellphone use pittss1c Piloting 36 December 14th 06 04:44 AM
Cellphone weather Cub Driver Piloting 0 August 4th 04 10:38 AM
Inflight Emergency -- Definition Chris OCallaghan Soaring 13 March 2nd 04 08:09 PM
INFLIGHT IFR Training glasses,,,, anyone try them before Cecil E. Chapman Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 18th 03 12:24 AM