GTR-5 ?? Liberty recordings

Old July 10th 03, 05:05 PM
Quant

Default GTR-5 ?? Liberty recordings

I just listened to the EC121 recordings of Israeli helicopter pilots
approaching the Liberty after the attack. (All in Hebrew of course).

The pilot is asking whether the ship is dangerous and is been answered
that its not known whether the ship is dangerous or not and that he
should try to identify it.
Then the pilot notice an inscription "GTR 5" and asks if that means
something.

What is this "GTR 5" inscription on the ship?

thanks
Old July 14th 03, 03:04 AM
Steve Richter

(Quant) wrote in message . com...
(Steve Richter) wrote in message . com...
(Quant) wrote in message . com...
I just listened to the EC121 recordings of Israeli helicopter pilots
approaching the Liberty after the attack. (All in Hebrew of course).

The pilot is asking whether the ship is dangerous and is been answered
that its not known whether the ship is dangerous or not and that he
should try to identify it.
Then the pilot notice an inscription "GTR 5" and asks if that means
something.

What is this "GTR 5" inscription on the ship?

thanks

quant,

the transcript differs a bit with your translation. The transcript
has the helicopter crewman saying "I understand the ship is not in
danger" And the MTB crewman replies: "I am not sure it is not in
danger. Are you suggesting the seriousness of it by saying this?"

is that an accurate translation?

-Steve

Exact translation (I'm listening to it now) between the pilot and
someone called "pagoda".

pilot: I understand that the ship is not dangerous.
Pagoda: Not sure it is not dangerous, do you identify its nationality?
pilot: Negative, it is written "GTR5".
Pagoda: Roger.
pilot: Does it mean something?
Pagoda: Negative, it means nothing.

The English transcript is clearly wrong.
The pilot asks whether the ship is dangerous and been answered that
it's not sure that it's not dangerous.
The pilot is not asking whether the ship is in danger.

thats amazing that the nsa would get the translation wrong.

it also makes the actions of pagoda ( the MTBs ) even more mysterious.
Cristol says that by the time the helicopters arrive the MTBs have
identified the ship as American. Yet pagoda tells the IAF helicopters
that the ship may still be dangerous and that "GTR5" means nothing.

Would the MTBs and the helicopters have been communicating on other
channels that the NSA is not pickup up? Is what the NSA has the
extent of communication between them?

-Steve
Old July 14th 03, 04:53 AM
Mike Weeks

From: (Steve Richter)
Date: 7/13/2003 19:04 Pacific Daylight Time

Cristol says that by the time the helicopters arrive the MTBs have
identified the ship as American.

It's suggested you really crack Cristol's book, or at least d/l the time line
at:

http://libertyincident.com/timeline.htm

and check the entry for 1520 Sinai.

MW
-------------------------------------
"As soon as movement begins, so does the fog of war" - Edward N. Luttwak
Old July 14th 03, 06:35 AM
Quant

(Quant) wrote in message . com...
[...]

When you're writng MTB's, do you mean "Missile Torpado Boats"?
Why do you think Pagoda means Missile Torpado Boats?

It is written specifically on NSA's site:
"a U.S. Navy EC-121, had collected voice conversations between two
Israeli helicopter pilots and the control tower at Hazor Airfield"

_control tower at Hazor Airfield_

This is how it sounds to me too.