On Topic old tidbit - bummer

Old December 13th 07, 06:21 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

Default On Topic old tidbit - bummer

While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html

I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,
including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors.

Show-boating, or just routine goof-up?

Old December 13th 07, 06:52 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

Default On Topic old tidbit - bummer - another

"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --

and similarone,
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near the USS
Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Old December 13th 07, 07:03 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Dec 13, 1:52 pm, "a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote

While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --

and similarone,
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near the USS
Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

Old December 13th 07, 07:54 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Dec 13, 2:27 pm, "Ray O'Hara" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote in message

While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html

I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,
including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing

tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors.

Show-boating, or just routine goof-up?

both.

Neither, didn't happen, Benny-boy wasn't in the Sea of Japan on that
day and if a Soviet aircraft had crashed within sight of an American
ship there would have noise up and down the Asian Coast.The Tonkin
Gulf incident would not have taken place because no one would have
sent the Maddox in. That was about Jul;y 28.
Old December 13th 07, 08:17 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
"a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:

http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer: (two different)
"25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,

including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors."
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near the

USS
Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

My only 'knowledge' is from the cite I posted above.
(silent-warriors).
If it is in error, (total or detail), I'd kind'a like to be informed,
so I can try to remember not to use it again.

Old December 13th 07, 08:41 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html I found this bummer: (two different)
"25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy vessels,

including the USS Essex (CVS-9), off the coast of northern Norway. Shortly
after passing low over the Essex, the Soviet bomber banked and one wing tip
hit the sea. The plane then cartwheeled and exploded. There were no
survivors."

"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near the

USS
Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

My only 'knowledge' is from the cite I posted above.
(silent-warriors).
If it is in error, (total or detail), I'd kind'a like to be informed,
so I can try to remember not to use it again.

There seems to be no way it is right, the Bennington and escorts would
have been fairly noticeable. I stumbled across a semi-famous person's
oral account of my trip if you are interested in why I think it didn't
happen that way.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/archives/pdf/BGregory.pdf

p26-30
Old December 13th 07, 09:52 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ray O'Hara[_2_]

"Jack Linthicum" wrote in message
[...]

norway is near the sea of japan? damn i thought it was near the north sea.
but hey. maybe all my maps and geography books are wrong.

and the essex was nicknamed the benny? odd

Old December 13th 07, 10:09 PM posted to sci.military.naval, rec.aviation.military.naval
Jack Linthicum

On Dec 13, 4:52 pm, "Ray O'Hara" wrote:
[...]

Another bummer, misread the subject
Old December 14th 07, 02:18 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
a425couple

Default On Topic old tidbit - seems valid?

"Jack Linthicum" wrote
"a425couple" wrote:
"a425couple" wrote
While looking for something else, reading site:
http://www.silent-warriors.com/shootdown_list.html
I found this bummer:
25 May 1968 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger buzzed a group of US Navy --

and similarone,
"15 July 1964 A Soviet Tu-16 Badger crashed in the Sea of Japan near
the USS Bennington, USS Cunningham and USS Eversole."

Got a cite for that second one? I was in the Sea of Japan on that
date. Do not remember any activity like that.

Well, a second source seems to be at:
http://www.aiipowmia.com/koreacw/cwwg96d.html
where it says in part:
"Page 72

The U.S. side of the Commission also presented information on the 25 May
1968 crash of a Soviet Tu-16 "Badger" in the Norwegian Sea. During working
group sessions held in April 1995, the U.S. side turned over the Deck Log
and Command History of the U.S.S. Essex for May 1968. At the Twelfth Plenary
Session in August 1995, the U.S. side passed to the Russian side film
footage of the crash of the Tu-16 taken from the U.S.S. Essex as well as a
written eyewitness testimony of this
incident.

In April 1995, during working group sessions, the U.S. side passed over the
deck logs of the U.S.S. Bennington from 1 July 64 to 31 July 1964, the deck
log of the U.S.S. Cunningham from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964 and the deck
log of the U.S.S. Eversole from 14 July 1964 to 16 July 1964. These deck
logs all pertain to the crash of a Soviet Tu-16r "Badger" on 15 July 1964 in
the Sea of Japan."

and a third source:
http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/sovietunion...jc_apr_rpt.htm
that states in part:
"The U.S. side has provided videotape, artifacts, and a formal report by the
U.S. Co-Chairman of the Commission in plenary session on the loss of the
Soviet Golf-class submarine which sank in 1968. The U.S. has also provided
information, deck logs and videotape on the 25 May 1968 crash of the Soviet
Tu-16 Badger in the Norwegian Sea; deck logs of U.S. naval units in the
vicinity of a 15 July 1964 Soviet Tu-16 Badger crash in the Sea of Japan;
documents and photograph relating to the loss of a Soviet twin-engine bomber
on 4 September 1950 off the coast of Korea; and information on Soviet
advisers captured in the Ogaden in 1978."

So, cynical as I may be of misinformation on the internet
getting dispersed wildly, these seem at current glance
to be widely separated from seemingly valid enough sources.

Bummer Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 June 23rd 07 03:22 PM
Intersting tidbit about the Miami seaplane crash and fuel reserves xyzzy Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 24th 05 11:43 AM
bummer John Harlow Piloting 1 September 30th 04 07:50 AM
off topic Randall Robertson Simulators 0 January 2nd 04 01:29 PM