Flightline FL-760 radio

Old June 24th 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

Default Flightline FL-760 radio

Guys in my club are asking about this http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...tlineFL760.php
for a club glider.

Anyone got one? Experience? Evidently, they are new on the market in
the last 12 - 15 months.

I have already recommended against based on high power consumption,
high minimum voltage requirement.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old June 24th 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Jun 24, 2:50*pm, T8 wrote:
Guys in my club are asking about thishttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/flightlineFL760.php
for a club glider.

Anyone got one? *Experience? *Evidently, they are new on the market in
the last 12 - 15 months.

I have already recommended against based on high power consumption,
high minimum voltage requirement.

-Evan Ludeman / T8

No experience with this radio, but the high power consumption or
rather high minimum voltage turned me off to it. I just traded my old
Terra in for an older Becker for just this reason.

Brian
Old June 25th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

I've already delivered about 50 of these radios...out of all of them I had 2
returned to the manufacturer, both exchanged under warranty...I never had
them here to check them out but one I am 95% certain was an installation
problem, the other had apparently a bad switch for storing data....aside
from that it worked fine...we have only one at our field and this one I
actually installed and it's used regularly and works flawlessly.
As for the current drain, these are manufacturers calculations and IMHO a
bit misleading or overly pessimistic ....the radio we have here runs for
hours on an 8 Ah battery along with electric varios, PDA, GPS and has never
been an issue...it's as strong at the end of the day as it is at the
beginning and the battery after a nearly 4 hour flights is still fresh
enough and the radio continues to work just fine. On at least one occasion
the battery didn't get charged the week before but after another rather long
flight it still worked flawlessly... I've had several good reports from
buyers and would certainly recommend this radio as a good low cost option to
anyone. Not much more $ than a typical handheld and a far better option
IMHO.
see my website page http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page1.htm
best regards
Tim Mara

Old June 25th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The XCOM 760 is another good inexpensive choice. My club has two of
them in the trainers, and they work great. XCOMs have a low current
draw.
PRO: You can listen to two frequencies at once, handy for monitoring
UNICOM or an area frequency, or listening to other gliders while
talking to ATC. I've heard people like the large knobs.
CON: The XCOM is set up for an electret condenser mic. All the
electret boom mics I've used were too flexible for use while in
turbulence, steep turns, rolling on a grass runway, etc typical of
glider flight. Better to use a sturdy dynamic boom mic (Becker,
Dittel, etc.) and a preamp.
Yet another inexpensive radio, the Microair, seems to go down the
toilet quickly when the battery gets low. OK in the tow plane or with
a 14V installation, marginal with 12V and no charging system.
Battery consumption is a big deal with a club glider. Batteries
inevitably get misused and radios left on between flights, leaving
nothing at the end of the day.
If it's not too cloudy, the 2-panel Strobl Solar system keeps the
voltage up even with a transponder running.
Jim
Old June 26th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Jun 25, 2:03*pm, JS wrote:
[...]

Jim,

I've had a Microair for several years. Yes, it's been back to
Australia once, but that was years ago and the thing has been solid
since. About three years ago, I had my panel rewired, PROPERLY, at a
local avionics shop. Folks say the transmissions sound great. I'm
running with 12 volts. Also powers a 302, an Ipaq, and a Borgelt
B-40. I think the radio works just fine.

Ray
Old July 1st 09, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

On Jun 26, 9:51*am, rlovinggood wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:03*pm, JS wrote:

[...]

What about the MGL Avionics V10 ? Specs look very good, nice price,
anyone used one yet?
http://www.mglavionics.com/html/radios.html
Regards, Bernie.

FLIGHTLINE VHF RADIO ON EBAY user[_2_] Home Built 2 October 14th 08 09:59 PM
FLIGHTLINE VHF RADIO ON EBAY user[_2_] Soaring 2 October 14th 08 09:59 PM
R/C Flying, pt 3 - Flightline.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 July 4th 08 12:10 PM
Old Ones are the Best Ones, pt 2 - Flightline.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 June 12th 07 12:41 AM
Dog Days of Aviation, pt 2 - flightline.JPG (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 June 5th 07 01:22 PM