Helicycle Elastomeric Bearings?

Old November 12th 03, 12:56 PM

Default Helicycle Elastomeric Bearings?

I just came across the patent to the R22 hub system and quickly
discovered that it does not use elastomneric bearings as I had been
told. The hub design, at least externally, appears to be very similar
to that which is used on the helicycle and mini-500.

The photos I have of the helicycle hub clearly show grease fittings.
This is not something that would be on an elastomeric bearing. I
don't have the diagrams to either the helicycle or the mini-500, but
the helicycle web site claims that the hub uses elastomeric bearings.

Is there someone out there who knows the answer to this puzzle and can
explain it?

Dennis H.

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."
To find out what an H-1B is and how they are putting
Americans out of work, visit the following web site
and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news video:
http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm

Old November 12th 03, 04:16 PM
Bill Chernoff

The way I understand it, the feathering bearings and teetering bearings are
greased,
and the elastomeric bearings are not.

Old November 12th 03, 07:25 PM
Sla#s

"Bill Chernoff" wrote in message
The way I understand it, the feathering bearings and teetering bearings

are
greased,
and the elastomeric bearings are not.

You don't grease the R22 head. It has Teflon bearings to flap and teter. The
Feathering bearings are ball type in an oil bath and sealed for life.

Slatts.

Old November 12th 03, 07:34 PM
Dave Jackson

Does anyone know if there is any company that produces a range of stock (off
the shelf) elastomeric bearing?

Thanks.

Old November 13th 03, 08:13 PM
Sla#s

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
Does anyone know if there is any company that produces a range of stock

(off
the shelf) elastomeric bearing?

There are hundreds of them. Just look in any car dealers stores.
All automotive engine mounts, suspension bushes, drivetrain dampers are
elastomeric bearings. The real problem is to find the size and type you want
with the hardness you need.
I have designed machines that needed some and bought them in batches of 100
from a Dutch company that makes them for the auto industry, but to get one
or two off, you will have to know the application.

Slatts