Need to move a glider from Chicago to Los Angeles

Old May 13th 16, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Maciek Arkuszewski

Default Need to move a glider from Chicago to Los Angeles

Hi guys.

I just acquired myself a glider and I need to move it cross country from Chicago to LA. Trailer is road worthy, but my car is in LA. Any tips on what would be the best way to get it across? So far, the best option I found, is to ship my car to Chicago and pick it up over there and do the trek myself.. If anyone has any suggestions that would make it less complicated I'm all ears.

Maciek
Old May 13th 16, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:46:02 PM UTC-5, Maciek Arkuszewski wrote:
Hi guys.

I just acquired myself a glider and I need to move it cross country from Chicago to LA. Trailer is road worthy, but my car is in LA. Any tips on what would be the best way to get it across? So far, the best option I found, is to ship my car to Chicago and pick it up over there and do the trek myself. If anyone has any suggestions that would make it less complicated I'm all ears.

Maciek

a few glider guys who are knowledgable about sailplanes and their trailers do delivery work. I am one of them. Would be happy to provide you a quote. send me an email.

many have also had good luck hiring random strangers on uship.com as well
Old May 13th 16, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

if someone in the soaring community isn't able to offer transport service then definitely check out

uShip.com

Used it several times with no issues.
Old May 13th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm departing this morning to deliver my LAK-17a half way to its new
owner. Perhaps your seller would deliver half way as well and you could
fly home and drive to, say TX or KS and meet him.

Congratulations on your new ship!

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 13th 16, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

i recommend jackson browne, and audio books.

Old May 15th 16, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:46:02 PM UTC-6, Maciek Arkuszewski wrote:
Hi guys.

I just acquired myself a glider and I need to move it cross country from Chicago to LA. Trailer is road worthy, but my car is in LA. Any tips on what would be the best way to get it across? So far, the best option I found, is to ship my car to Chicago and pick it up over there and do the trek myself. If anyone has any suggestions that would make it less complicated I'm all ears.

Maciek

One word: Tony!
Old May 16th 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:34:59 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:46:02 PM UTC-6, Maciek Arkuszewski wrote:
Hi guys.

I just acquired myself a glider and I need to move it cross country from Chicago to LA. Trailer is road worthy, but my car is in LA. Any tips on what would be the best way to get it across? So far, the best option I found, is to ship my car to Chicago and pick it up over there and do the trek myself. If anyone has any suggestions that would make it less complicated I'm all ears.

Maciek

One word: Tony!

I have used Tony in the past. He's terrific. I'd use him again in a heartbeat!
Old May 17th 16, 06:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 9:46:02 PM UTC-7, Maciek Arkuszewski wrote:
Hi guys.

I just acquired myself a glider and I need to move it cross country from Chicago to LA. Trailer is road worthy, but my car is in LA. Any tips on what would be the best way to get it across? So far, the best option I found, is to ship my car to Chicago and pick it up over there and do the trek myself. If anyone has any suggestions that would make it less complicated I'm all ears.

Maciek

In addition to the other options already expressed, you could fly to Chicago and rent an SUV or truck capable of towing and drive it back. Personally, I would drive to Chicago and tow the trailer back myself. I did that a couple of years ago when I bought a travel trailer in Tennessee and looked at getting it delivered to the Phoenix area (I am in Washington). The cost was pretty high (north of $2.50 a mile, as I recall) because they had to deadhead (no load) back.

Tom
Old May 17th 16, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Cripps

I made a trip last week along the lines of Tom's suggestion, towing a sailing boat of quite similar weight and length to my glider trailer from Charlotte to Lake Dillon, CO (sailing at 9,017 MSL!).

Tony understandably didn't want to take on a boat; multiple quotes from iShip all came in within a few dollars of each other (~$1,950 for 1,650 miles. But anyway I needed to be present at both the pickup and drop off, so I opted to fly to Charlotte, pick up a U-Haul 10' moving truck and tow it myself.

The U-Haul 10' moving truck was the only one-way rental I could find that permitted towing. Not even the U-Haul GM trucks (local only), nothing from Penske or the major car-hire companies. But it worked out well and I would do it again rather than drive both ways.

48