Traded Up

Old November 29th 04, 01:28 AM
Mike Granby

Default Traded Up

Well, the Warrior finally got too small for the family (or rather for
all the equipment that seems to accompany two small children) so I've
traded up to a 1980 Saratoga...

http://www.mikeg.net/plane/n8096J

It used to be a turbo, but that was removed when LoPresti put a
factory engine in it 550 hours ago, and added all their fancy speed
mods. Avionics are solid, too. The panel was completely redone in late
1997, and was actually featured in S-TEC's newsletter...

http://www.s-tec.com/newsletters/app.../saratoga.html

Now I just have to get 15 hours to keep Avemco happy!

Old November 29th 04, 02:51 AM
mindenpilot

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
om...
Well, the Warrior finally got too small for the family (or rather for
all the equipment that seems to accompany two small children) so I've
traded up to a 1980 Saratoga...

http://www.mikeg.net/plane/n8096J

It used to be a turbo, but that was removed when LoPresti put a
factory engine in it 550 hours ago, and added all their fancy speed
mods. Avionics are solid, too. The panel was completely redone in late
1997, and was actually featured in S-TEC's newsletter...

http://www.s-tec.com/newsletters/app.../saratoga.html

Now I just have to get 15 hours to keep Avemco happy!

Wow! What a beautiful plane!
Did you have much complex time beforehand?
How's the transition been?
Congratulations, and I hope you enjoy.
Keep us posted ;-)

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 29th 04, 02:51 AM
Scott Skylane

Mike Granby wrote:

Well, the Warrior finally got too small for the family (or rather for
all the equipment that seems to accompany two small children) so I've
traded up to a 1980 Saratoga...

http://www.mikeg.net/plane/n8096J

/snip/

That's a beautiful machine, Mike! I've always had an eye for the big
Cherokees, assuming I ever get rid of the 182.

Just curious, what is that rigamaroll under the Stormscope???

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 29th 04, 03:49 AM
john smith

Scott, unless you need the extra speed and seats frequently, don't give
up the 182.
Find someone with Saratoga, park it next to your 182.
Load up the 182, then transfer everything to the Saratoga and see how
everything fits and where you are within W&B.

Old November 29th 04, 05:37 AM
Stan Prevost

"Mike Granby" wrote in message
om...
Well, the Warrior finally got too small for the family (or rather for
all the equipment that seems to accompany two small children) so I've
traded up to a 1980 Saratoga...

http://www.mikeg.net/plane/n8096J

It used to be a turbo, but that was removed when LoPresti put a
factory engine in it 550 hours ago, and added all their fancy speed
mods. Avionics are solid, too. The panel was completely redone in late
1997, and was actually featured in S-TEC's newsletter...

http://www.s-tec.com/newsletters/app.../saratoga.html

Now I just have to get 15 hours to keep Avemco happy!

I should have looked at the pix before asking you if it was retract in my
earlier post. Obvious from the pix. Very nice!

Stan

Old November 29th 04, 10:34 AM
Mike Granby

"Stan Prevost" wrote:

Is yours retract?

Yep. Ask me in a couple of years if it was worth it.
Old November 29th 04, 10:35 AM
Mike Granby

"mindenpilot" wrote:

Did you have much complex time beforehand?

Nope. Just 1.5 hours in an Arrow.

How's the transition been?

I'll let you know in a two or three months!
Old November 29th 04, 10:41 AM
Mike Granby

Scott Skylane wrote:

Just curious, what is that rigamaroll under the Stormscope???

Switching for the HSI, the NAV indicator and the Stormscope GPS link.
The top button in the center controls which GPS feeds the waypoint
display on WX1000E. The left bank controls the source for the HSI, and
the right bank controls the source for the KI-206. In each bank, the
middle switch is GPS/NAV, the top is GPS1/GPS2 and the bottom is
NAV1/NAV2. There are interlocks so that the same source can't be sent
to both indicators, and overrides so that selecting a LOC freq on the
NAV will automatically select it in place of the GPS. The whole lot
feeds six sets of Ameri-King relays in the forward baggage
compartment. (It's a lot simpler in real life than it sounds in this
description!!!)
Old November 29th 04, 10:41 AM
Mike Granby

john smith wrote:

Find someone with Saratoga, park it next to your 182.

And watch the ladies gravitate to the low wing!