A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Free Checkride / Free Room at Marfa, southwest Texas

Old January 24th 13, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

Default Free Checkride / Free Room at Marfa, southwest Texas

Four glider pilot checkrides completed so far this month and the beautiful weather continues in southwest Texas. Soft winter thermals to 10,400' msl and 100 mile visibility past the Davis Mountains into Big Bend National Park. (Marfa airport field elevation is about 5,000' msl.)

Happy to see that three applicants here this month were "initial" Private Pilots. Looking ahead in the next two months, I note that four more applicants are "initial" Private Pilots (glider only), plus several glider category add-ons and CFIG reinstatements.

These "initial" applicants were not pilots a year or so ago. Little or no previous flying experience but they accomplished their training at their home clubs to solo, found the time to study hard and pass the "written" FAA Aeronautical Knowledge Test, then arranged more ground and flight training in preparation for the Practical Test ("checkride") with me at Marfa. This is more challenging for the ab initio students than the transition power pilots adding the glider category rating, and I applaud you! All are SSA members and all are seriously considering buying a glider, individually or in partnerships. I've asked what motivates these total beginners and they express that soaring is closer to pure flight. They like the mental challenge and some see the parallel to sailboats and powerboats. (Wow, they "get it.")

Message to CFIG's: Most applicants arrive at Marfa with very little "ground training" logged in their pilot logbooks. This is mandatory and is in the part 61 glider training requirements. Please log all ground training and take time to give formal ground school sessions, or at least a pre and post flight session. Newer glider pilot logbooks have a column for "ground training."

Some CFIG's are sending students solo without the mandatory part 61.31(j) endorsement for method of launch. Please make sure you are making this launch endorsement. As their Designated Pilot Examiner, I must review their logbooks for completeness in the endorsements, ground and flight training.

Weakest area observed in the flying: Slips, including no airbrake patterns with turning slips.

If you would like more details about my free glider pilot checkrides, please respond to me privately at marfagliders at aol dott com

Burt
Marfa, Texas USA

Old February 4th 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

On Friday, November 30, 2012 6:45:32 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
From now to March 31, 2013, I'm offering free checkrides for FAA Glider (Private / Commercial applicants, add-on or initial) and CFI-Glider add-on's, renewals and reinstatements.

It occurs to me that many student pilots and transition pilots need to simply FINISH what they started, so here is the offer: FREE checkride means FREE tows and ASK-21 glider rental for the checkride flights. NO examiner fee. This offer does NOT involve any shortcuts. Your checkride (Practical Test) will be comprehensive and by the book -- the FAA Practical Test Standards for the rating sought. You can take additional training with us at Marfa or arrive with the FAR part 61 requirements met and your endorsements -- or we can help you finish here.

Applicants for the checkride can stay for FREE in my two bedroom guest house with kitchen and dining/study area, next to my home, just 3 miles from Marfa Airport (KMRF.) Total savings for the checkride and room could be about $1,000.

I'm hoping that my offer may help grow soaring and motivate you to finish that glider rating or renew your CFIG. Offer begins December 1 and expires March 31, 2013. First come-first served. Marfa is located southeast of El Paso on a grassy plateau (5,000' above sea level) near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airlines serve El Paso (ELP) and Midland (MAF) airports.

Send me your contact information and I'll respond PRIVATELY with more details and answers to your questions. "Someday" is NOW.

Burt Compton

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, Texas

My clubmate Ben and I decided to escape the MN winter and take advantage of Burt's offer. Ben is a very experienced aviator seeking his commercial endorsement and I am a new pilot who started flying with the MN Soaring Club last April.

We have completed two days of flying and learning. The new airport, landmarks,and operation are all challenging. We are both learning great flying skills. Lots of work to do before our check rides later this week.

Stay Tuned
Old February 10th 13, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 4, 2013 8:08:33 AM UTC-6, MNLou wrote:
On Friday, November 30, 2012 6:45:32 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:

From now to March 31, 2013, I'm offering free checkrides for FAA Glider (Private / Commercial applicants, add-on or initial) and CFI-Glider add-on's, renewals and reinstatements.

It occurs to me that many student pilots and transition pilots need to simply FINISH what they started, so here is the offer: FREE checkride means FREE tows and ASK-21 glider rental for the checkride flights. NO examiner fee. This offer does NOT involve any shortcuts. Your checkride (Practical Test) will be comprehensive and by the book -- the FAA Practical Test Standards for the rating sought. You can take additional training with us at Marfa or arrive with the FAR part 61 requirements met and your endorsements -- or we can help you finish here.

Applicants for the checkride can stay for FREE in my two bedroom guest house with kitchen and dining/study area, next to my home, just 3 miles from Marfa Airport (KMRF.) Total savings for the checkride and room could be about $1,000.

I'm hoping that my offer may help grow soaring and motivate you to finish that glider rating or renew your CFIG. Offer begins December 1 and expires March 31, 2013. First come-first served. Marfa is located southeast of El Paso on a grassy plateau (5,000' above sea level) near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airlines serve El Paso (ELP) and Midland (MAF) airports.

Send me your contact information and I'll respond PRIVATELY with more details and answers to your questions. "Someday" is NOW.

Burt Compton

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, Texas

My clubmate Ben and I decided to escape the MN winter and take advantage of Burt's offer. Ben is a very experienced aviator seeking his commercial endorsement and I am a new pilot who started flying with the MN Soaring Club last April.

We have completed two days of flying and learning. The new airport, landmarks,and operation are all challenging. We are both learning great flying skills. Lots of work to do before our check rides later this week.

Stay Tuned

Ben and I are sitting in an El Paso hotel waiting for our flights home tomorrow. The week was action packed and fast paced - somewhat like drinking from a fire hose. We were both successful in getting our ratings. Burt is tough, demanding, and a font of knowledge. His fellow instructor, Roger Amis, is also an outstanding CFI-G. Our exams, both oral and flying, were comprehensive and by the book. We are both much better glider pilots from the experience - with a strong emphasis on safety. A million thanks to Burt Compton and his lovely wife Kathie for the opportunity.
Old February 10th 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

So encouraging to see people more concerned about promoting soaring instead of "controlling" the sport....
Old February 11th 13, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

Quoting Ben and Lou: The week was action packed and fast paced - somewhat like drinking from a fire hose. We were both successful in getting our ratings. Burt is tough, demanding, and a font of knowledge.

Well, I may be demanding but we also had some fun. Soft winter thermals to 10,000' msl, 100 mile visibility, lennies over the Davis mountains, gathering for breakfast and dinner in Marfa's new restaurants, enjoying my soaring posters, books and memorabilia collection in my hangar, touring my vintage Ludwig drum museum and the annoying but free drum solo with every checkride . . . yes, it was a good time for for all last week. Two more applicants arrive for checkrides this week, from Idaho and Pennsylvania. Then I'm off to Houston for the FEB 23 SSA meetings, the gathering of the soaring tribe, SSA awards dinner and a SSF seminar. (More info at www.ssa.org)
Old February 12th 13, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou
external usenet poster

On Monday, February 11, 2013 12:13:49 PM UTC-6, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
Quoting Ben and Lou: The week was action packed and fast paced - somewhat like drinking from a fire hose. We were both successful in getting our ratings. Burt is tough, demanding, and a font of knowledge.

Well, I may be demanding but we also had some fun. Soft winter thermals to 10,000' msl, 100 mile visibility, lennies over the Davis mountains, gathering for breakfast and dinner in Marfa's new restaurants, enjoying my soaring posters, books and memorabilia collection in my hangar, touring my vintage Ludwig drum museum and the annoying but free drum solo with every checkride . . . yes, it was a good time for for all last week. Two more applicants arrive for checkrides this week, from Idaho and Pennsylvania. Then I'm off to Houston for the FEB 23 SSA meetings, the gathering of the soaring tribe, SSA awards dinner and a SSF seminar. (More info at www.ssa.org)

Roger that Burt!

Come to think of it, Ben got his free drum solo. You still owe me mine

Here was the key phrase for me in that post "We are both much better glider pilots from the experience - with a strong emphasis on safety"

I expect the new arrivals will feel the same way in about a week
Old February 13th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soartech[_2_]
external usenet poster

Darn it Burt? Why didn't you offer this last winter when I needed it??
Seriously, a great promotion.

Old February 14th 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:51:31 AM UTC-8, soartech wrote:
Darn it Burt? Why didn't you offer this last winter when I needed it??

Seriously, a great promotion.

Yep, I might make the same offer next winter, unless I retire to fly my DG-1000T more often!
I've given 10 checkrides so far, with 10 more to go this spring at Marfa. Nice thermals today made for longer (and funner) training flights.

I'll take a break next weekend to attend our SSA meeting / awards dinner / safety seminar at Houston, Saturday FEB 23. More info at www.ssa.org See you there!

Old March 31st 13, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa
external usenet poster

My free glider rating checkrides/ free room offer wrapped up today with 12 checkrides completed at Marfa, west Texas. Many were "add-on" glider ratings plus three "ab initio" certificates and a couple of reinstatements of expired CFIG's. Checkrides are still available year-round.

As an examiner, I learn a lot from the applicants due to their different levels of preparation and previously learned skills. I'm a better instructor and examiner after these experiences (I've done over 140 glider checkrides..)

Now I'll take some time to fly my DG-1000T and then trailer my restored ASK-13 to the vintage/classic sailplane rally at Tehachapi, CA in May. Then to Germany and France (St. Auban) in August. "Someday" is now, and the fun never ends!

Old March 31st 13, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T
external usenet poster

Burt, thanks for a great service to the soaring community.
Enjoy your summer, sounds lke fun!

Bill T