Favorite Aviation Reminiscense

Old February 16th 04, 07:17 PM
ShawnD2112

I would respond but I can't type with a lump that big in my throat...

Thanks for sharing that.

Shawn
"GKgloc" wrote in message
Hi Group,

I don't chime in too often, but this thread compelled me to share my

strongest
aviation reminiscense.

I earned my PPL late in life. As with many, marriage, family and other
responsibilities of life made flying an impossible dream. Living across

the
country from my parents, I was never able to share the joy of flying with

them
until last year. Two years ago, my father began battling an illness which

we
knew, in our hearts, would rapidly deplete his remaining years. A month

after
his diagnosis, I took the time to fly myself out for a visit. I

endeavored to
spend as much time with as possible.

On my first flight out there, he seemed proud that his "renegade" son

actually
accomplished something in life. After some discussion, I was able to coax

him
into a sightseeing flight. After assisting him into the co-pilots seat of

the
little Cessna, buckling him in, adjusting his headset, and giving him a

short
briefing, we started the engine, taxied, and took off.

At first he was silent, and I didn't want to speak. Sometimes words need

not
be spoken, but in our case, the lack of conversation was from years of a
strained father-son relationship. Then, through the intercom, my father
started talking to me. He talked to me in a way in which we had never

spoken.
He told me that he had always wanted to learn to fly, but due to his
responsibilities of family and life, he could never afford the lessons.

He
told me about the unspoken pride he felt when he heard that I earned my

Pilot's
License. It was then I realized that his sacrifices in life, gave me the
opportunity to learn to fly. We flew for what seemed like hours, I didn't

want
our flight, or our conversation to end.

For several visits, I was able to take my father for a short flight. He

seemed
to be in another world when he was flying. Eventually, his feeble body

began
deteriorating at a rapid pace, leaving him bedridden.

Then, late one night, came the dreaded phone call. I was able to get to

his
bedside, less than an hour before my father passed.

During my father's viewing, I wore one of my few suits which had the

little
gold AOPA wing on my lapel. My wife reached up to straighten my wings,

which
for some odd reason, always seem to sit crooked on my lapel. At that

moment, I
walked over to the casket where my father lay, and pinned my AOPA wings on

his
lapel, gently kissed him on the cheek, and said, ""Dad, these wings really
belong to you. Hang onto to them for me. You can give them back when I

see
you again."

Those wings sat straight on his lapel...

Old February 16th 04, 07:36 PM
ShawnD2112

Taking my Dad flying for the first, and so far only, time was pretty cool.
But I think the best thing doesn't even relate to my flying. It's something
I did when I was in the USAF stationed at RAF Mildenhall in England.

A Florida travel agent named Dick D'Amato got our commander to sponsor a
hangar dance for a group of about 150 8th and 9th AF vets and their families
he was bringing over on a trip back in August 97. I was one of the project
officers in charge of putting it together. I got the enviable job of
working with several enthusiastic British 8th AF historians and groups and
organizing displays of military vehicles, personal affects (including
several original A2 jackets restored and displayed by the 100th Bomb Group
museum) and, finally, to include fly-bys and static display of a T-6 Texan,
P-51C (formerly Shangri-La, then Princess Elizabeth of the Fighter
Collection) and the only flying B-17 in the UK, Sally B. The logisitcs were
nearly impossible, the budget nil, and complications taxing to say the
least.

My favorite aviation reminiscence? Two. The first was when we gathered the
vets from the Officer's Club in the military vehicles and brought them to
the hangar (actually arrested them for being AWOL with local enthusiasts in
period MP uniforms) - which was already filled with about 600 locals - who
stood and gave them a roaring ovation when they walked into the hangar! The
second was a half hour later when we gathered all the vets back into the
hangar (they'd been wandering around looking at the displays outside) and to
the East at about 2,000 feet could be seen the landing lights of Sally B as
she descended for her fly by - only to be stolen from underneath as the
Mustang screamed by from out of sight behind the hangar at full throttle and
below rooftop height - he really hung it all out there! As Sally B made her
fly past, there wasn't a dry eye on anyone.

It was the personal stories that really tugged at my heartstrings: wives and
children visiting England with Dad or Grandad for the first time since the
war, getting to see, hear, and touch the things that he'd been talking about
for 50 years, making them real; the vets being overwhelmed by emotion as
they were applauded and piped into the dance, rather than just drifting in
with everyone else; the vet who relived the loss of his boyhood innocence as
he sat in the tailgunner's position in Sally B.

That was the most worthwhile thing I did in 8 years in the USAF.

Shawn

"JJS" jschneider@REMOVE SOCKSpldi.net wrote in message
Well... I would, but Cessna wouldn't be happy about it 'cause we were
in our "manly" Piper Cherokee :) See, that's another reason to own a
low wing airplane. Better view of the heavens! (He exits ducking and
running)!

8437R

"carlos" wrote in message
Wow! Thanks for sharing this...

You should sell this story to Cessna...

"JJS" jschneider@REMOVE SOCKSpldi.net wrote in message
Taking off at 4:30 am on a 4 hour flight with my teenage daughter

on
our way to see her cousin's graduation ceremony. My girl had just
broken up with a boy friend and was really depressed. She begged

go on this long trip, as she was really close to her cousin. They
didn't get to see each other very often, as they attended college

far
apart. The weather was iffy. I decided to try the flight anyway

as
the ceiling and visibility were great at the departure airport and

for
the first 200 miles of the route. We could check the weather as

we
progressed and turn back if things didn't get better. Just as we
reached cruising altitude I saw a shooting star screaming through

the
crystal clear pitch black air. I asked my kid if she'd seen it...
trying to cheer her up, but she hadn't. She began looking,

though.
Then there was another streak, intensely bright and colored. Then
more and more of them. A full fledged meteor shower had broken

out
and we had the best seat in the house. Here we were hanging in

mid
air with the most amazing performance going on around us. It was

if
the almighty had magnified and colored these flying jewels every

color
of the rainbow. Big ones, little ones, and some that seemed to
stretch nearly from one horizon to the other. My daughter's whole
outlook on life was changed in an instant. We watched the show in
total silence with eyes and mouths wide open. When the show was

over,
she came out of her funk and later struck up a REAL conversation.
Something too rare to behold between a teenage girl and her daddy.
Her eyes sparkled like the meteors we had just observed. Although
we'd always been close, I believe a stronger bond was formed

between
us because we had witnessed something so rare. An event that

very,
very few if any other people had experienced in the same manner.

Then
to top things off, calls to FSS had ground fog at our destination,

but
as we got closer daylight arrived and the fogbank was spotted from

50
miles away. Another call to FSS and they told us weather was

clearing
at nearby airports. The fog lifted and dissipated as we watched,
while still clinging to lakes and ponds. It was surreal. We

landed
in CAVU conditions and made it to graduation on time. Oh yeah, on

the
way home we stopped at a grass strip on the edge of a lake with a

good
restaurant within walking distance. I'll never forget the trip.
Neither will she.

"EDR" wrote in message

1980's...
Watching the string of landing lights of arriving aircraft east

of
Oshkosh stretching out over Lake Michigan.

(Amusingly, followed by watching the arrivals try to find a

parking
spot in the dark with out flag-people.)

Old February 17th 04, 06:23 PM
Paul Sengupta

Watching a total eclipse of the sun from on top of an overcast layer.

Paul

Old February 17th 04, 06:30 PM
Paul Sengupta

I find it quite surreal to fly just under some very small scattered puffy
clouds while tilting my head back and looking vertically upwards out
of the canopy. The little clouds go zooming past at 100 knots just
above my head.

Paul

"Jay Smith" wrote in message
carlos wrote:
Oops... We Cessna pilots believe everyone else like to look at the

ground!
BTW, your post got me thinking about the one quality of low-wingers I

hadn't
thought-off... unrestricted view of the heavens, clouds, etc...

Only if they are Grumman's, Ercoupe's or similar canopy style aircraft.

Old February 17th 04, 06:35 PM
Paul Sengupta

Taking a WWII Mosquito pilot flying for the first time in 50 years.

Paul

Old February 18th 04, 05:46 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I've got less than 100 hours and now working on my IFR ticket but my
best moment was on my first cross country. First leg from SQL to
Davis (0O3?) where I met my friend who I hadn't seen for 3-4 years
for a coffee. then got caught in a some rain to STS. Nothing
major but on a first cross country I was a little scared. then
flying home, I climbed over the mountains near Marin and then
seeing San FRancisco and all the very familiar places....alcatraz
off the left of my nose, teh bay bridge to my left, Marin underneath me,
and then while over the bay seeing the sun getting ready to set mid-span
of the Golden Gate Bridge and realizing I was all alone. A minute
later I got my clearance through Class B, overflew SFO listening
and watching all the heavies waiting to take off.

the next best time was getting ATIS on my checkride.
"Palo Alto Information Brave. time 23:30 Zulu on
December 17th, 2003. The 100th anniversary of powered
flight by man....." I really wish I had a recording
of it. I got goose bumps. The DE said, "wow that's pretty
cool."

These were the 2 times I said, "Damn, yes I am a pilot."

I'm sure there will be another 40+ years of memories on the way.....

Gerald

Old February 18th 04, 07:38 AM
Jay Beckman

My first (of what I hope will be many...) occured today:

..9 of dual is now in the book.

A great day...a really great day!

Regards All...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot (.9 Hrs)

Old February 18th 04, 02:05 PM
Jay Smith

Jay Beckman wrote:
My first (of what I hope will be many...) occured today:
.9 of dual is now in the book.
A great day...a really great day!
Regards All...
Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot (.9 Hrs)

If you are doing your training with Chandler Air Service, make sure you
get some of your dual instruction in their Super Cub. That way you can
get a checkout quicker when you get your certificate. Also, get some
spin and acro training in one of their other aircraft. It will help you
with maneuvering flight for your flight test.