BOHICA! Weiner's Bill to Restrict GA

Old September 11th 04, 02:42 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

I sure hope you look out for other traffic better than you look out for
this country's freedoms.

Your politics gives you a whopping blind spot, and there is a torpedo
heading right toward you.

You're mistaken, I have no blind spot.

Old September 11th 04, 02:44 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...

Unfortunately, our Constitution is not self-limiting. That is, if we pass
an amendment which makes the US a theocracy, a theocracy it will be.

The only real protection we have is that the threshold for passing an
amendment is set relatively high.

Doesn't matter. We can just ignore the Constitution or declare it to mean
something other than what it clearly states.

Old September 11th 04, 02:44 AM
Morgans

wrote

Patriot act, Hitler would have been proud of that one,

I invoke Goldman's law; this thread is over.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old September 11th 04, 03:10 AM
Andrew Gideon

Bryan Martin wrote:

Marriage has nothing to do with religion. It's true that most religions
have adopted the concept of marriage and tacked on their various religious
trappings and rites and ceremonies, but the core concept of marriage is a
social convention regarding the care and raising of children. All of the
tax breaks, insurance benefits and other various benefits associated with
marriage exist for the purpose of easing the burden of raising children.

Ideally, this would have been true. If so, though, multiple marriages would
permitted. In fact, there's a fair chance that they'd be encouraged given
the greater redundancy involved in having more "parents".

[This is something of which I'm very aware when I'm flying, now that I'm a
parent myself.]

- Andrew

Old September 11th 04, 04:19 AM
StellaStar

Jim in NC hits the buzzer...
Patriot act, Hitler would have been proud of that one,

I invoke Goldman's law; this thread is over.
--

Actually it's Godwin's law.
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/
Old September 11th 04, 04:36 AM
RobertR237

Does anyone else see a pattern
with the Democratic Party.
Seems they preach and preach about freedom, but always do their best to
take it away from us against The Constitution. It's frustrating!

Stop with this garbage about the Democratic party. Those wanting to take
our freedoms and everything else from us come from both parties so cut the
crap and be prepared to defend those rights from assault no matter which
party they come from.

Finally out of the shadows, a voice of reason and reality.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old September 11th 04, 04:50 AM
Jeff Franks

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only
exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the
public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the
candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the
result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed
by a dictatorship.
The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred
years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from
bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from
courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to
selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy,
from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage. "

Alexander Tyler - Circa 1780 - discussing the fall of the Athenian
Democracy.

I'd say we're about at the complacent stage.....

jf

k.net...

Old September 11th 04, 04:52 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jeff Franks" wrote in message
[...]

I'd vote for apathy.

Old September 11th 04, 05:27 AM
Peter

Jeff Franks wrote:

[...]

Snopes (the Urban Legend site) lists this as probably a fictitious
quote. See http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp for details.