Trying to find out more about an old, no-longer-existing airport in California

Old February 10th 05, 05:13 AM

Default Trying to find out more about an old, no-longer-existing airport in California

a service that lets you browse aerial and satellite photo imagery,
world-wide. I have spent more than a few hours perusing the aerial views
of current and abandoned airstrips. (and by the way, Fallujah, Iraq is
depicted in very fine detail - jeez I wonder why? But that's another
topic...)

I am pretty familiar with the airports surrounding my location (San
Jose, CA) but Keyhole shows what it calls "historical" airports, and one
of them has me stumped in terms of finding out more data about it -
"Hilton Airport", located southeast of San Jose. I have done a pretty
thorough web search looking for its history, and unlike most other
abandoned/old airports that I've web-researched, I have come up with
only one link on that site - which doesn't tell me anything more than
its GPS coordinates.

I have taken a screenshot of the Keyhole view of this area, and it's
found he

http://blave.smugmug.com/photos/15627055-L.jpg

Using Keyhole to zoom in on the area of the supposed airport shows
nothing to indicate that an airstrip was ever there...

BTW as an "abandoned airport enthusiast/mourner", I have found this site
to be very interesting: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/. But I can't
find anything there that mentions this particular location. Can anyone
help?

Thanks,

Dave Blevins
Old February 10th 05, 03:52 PM
Gene Seibel

Anything here?
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/
--
Gene Seibel
Hangar 131 - http://pad39a.com/gene/plane.html

Old February 10th 05, 04:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

[...]

I have a fairly good collection of old sectional charts. I can't find a
"Hilton Airport" in this area but I do find a "Boulder Creek Airport" in the
location specified in your screenshot. Boulder Creek Airport appears on
sectionals dated August 1943, August 1947, April 1958, and January 1965. It
is not on the April 1972 chart. The coordinates given for it are 37 09 N,
122 10 W.

Old February 12th 05, 07:29 AM

Thanks so much for your help, Steven. I have a 1949 sectional that I had
previously not thought about checking, but the airfield is on it.

It is *not* on my 1967 one, so presumably it was a short-lived landing
site.

cheers,

Dave Blevins

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:45:11 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"

Old February 13th 05, 02:38 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

Thanks so much for your help, Steven. I have a 1949 sectional that I had
previously not thought about checking, but the airfield is on it.

It is *not* on my 1967 one, so presumably it was a short-lived landing
site.

Do you mean you found a "Hilton Airport" on the 1949 sectional?

Old February 13th 05, 03:11 AM
BTIZ

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/index.htm

did you try looking here?

BT

Old February 14th 05, 04:47 PM

Yes. AAMOF I have been in contact with the webmaster (made a donation,
etc. etc.) and sent him the info I have on the field.

BTW it is listed as "Boulder Creek" on my 1949 sectional.

Dave Blevins

Old February 14th 05, 05:35 PM
Don Tuite

I wonder if the guy who owns CL77 knows.

Don
Old February 14th 05, 05:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

BTW it is listed as "Boulder Creek" on my 1949 sectional.

How did you verify that "Boulder Creek Airport" and "Hilton Airport" are the
same field?