(USA) FAA L-13 position letter released

Old September 14th 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default (USA) FAA L-13 position letter released

On the SSA website - a must read for owners and anyone that cares
about the effect on the future of soaring in the US with 1/5 of the
training fleet being grounded!

Old September 14th 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Sep 13, 10:38*pm, wrote:
On the SSA website - *a must read for owners and anyone that cares
about the effect on the future of soaring in the US with 1/5 of the
training fleet being grounded!

I suspect your estimate of 1/5 of the training fleet is optimistic.
From a survey I conducted in the last 24 months, L-13's represent more
like 1/3 to 1/2 of the training fleet. Whatever the real number, it's
a very serious problem and one certain to impact growth of soaring in
the US. I can only offer sympathy to the L-13 owners.

In Europe, L-13's are known as "Coke Cans" since, like old horses
headed for the glue factory, L-13's are headed for aluminum recyclers
to be made into soft drink cans.

It's entirely possible many, if not most, L-13's will never be
repaired since the cost of doing so will be more than they'll be worth
after the repair. One could argue the money would be better spent on
a new glider. This starkly points out the risk of operating old
aircraft - you never know when an expensive AD will ground them
forever.

From a club management view, L-13's have served extraordinarily well
over a very long life but nothing lasts forever. The clubs have long
since "got their money's worth" out of them. I fear many do not have
a "sinking fund" to replace their old gliders.

There are excellent trainers available like the ASK-21 - but they're
not cheap.
Old September 15th 10, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

You don't need to log in. Just go to SSA.ORG and click on the link
under "News" on the right side.

Could you please pst the letter. I am unable to log in to the SSA site
to view it. *Thank you very much.

Old September 15th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell[_2_]

https://sites.google.com/site/blanikspar

Old September 15th 10, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfer![_2_]

"cfinn" wrote in message
You don't need to log in. Just go to SSA.ORG and click on the link
under "News" on the right side.

Can't find it. How about posting the full URL?

Could you please pst the letter. I am unable to log in to the SSA site
to view it. Thank you very much.

VFR position reporting Mxsmanic Piloting 154 November 26th 06 04:45 PM
XCSoar 5.0 Released Simon Taylor Soaring 0 September 14th 06 10:53 AM
Alphasim Big "E" released R.A.Baum Simulators 1 September 14th 05 10:26 PM
GPLIGC 1.4 released Hannes Soaring 1 September 26th 04 08:04 AM
T-37 PCATD released JD Simulators 0 October 6th 03 08:51 PM