Next: Aviation Map software

Old May 21st 04, 12:05 AM
Toks Desalu

Default Next: Aviation Map software

STATUS:
Pocket PC: Operational
GPS: Operational
1st Testing Phase(GPS to PPC operation): Success
Aviation softwa Not available!
2nd Testing Phase(GPS to PPC with Aviation Software operation): incomplete
Final Testing phase (Flying operation) incomplete

I am still trying to determine the best aviation/moving map software that
fit my need. I still use paper chart, pen and clock for cross country. I am
not looking for anything fancy or top-line software. A simple moving map
will do just fine. Here is what I have seen so far:
http://www.oziexplorer.com/
Simple and straightforward. I can get sectional and TAF scanned and loaded
it to this software. Price: 30 bucks. Anyone experience using this software?
Good or bad?
http://www.fugawi.com
Looks like a complete mapping software included PPC version. Price: 99
bucks. More expensive than oziexplorer. Any comment on this one?
http://www.pocketfms.com/
Still under Beta version. According the website, version 1.0 expected to
come out early this year. It is a freeware version. Features for this
software exceed my basic need. The Picture is poor, but donation of 60 bucks
will give you a key that allow you to view better pictures. Anyone
experience using this one?
http://www.winpilot.com
The real aviation software comparing to others. Price 249 bucks.

Also, I looked into several other software (subscription) like AnywhereMap,
NavGPS, etc. These are perfect software to use. Since I am currently a
graduate student and I don't fly as much as most of you guys do, I thought
it would be unwise for me to buy these software.

Any others that I should be looking at?

Any Suggestion?

Old May 21st 04, 03:51 AM
John T

"Toks Desalu" wrote in message

Also, I looked into several other software (subscription) like
AnywhereMap, NavGPS, etc. These are perfect software to use. Since I
am currently a graduate student and I don't fly as much as most of
you guys do, I thought it would be unwise for me to buy these
software.

Why would buying these be unwise if they are "perfect" packages? If they
fit your needs and you consider the cost to be reasonable, then buy them.
If you can try the packages before you buy them, that will greatly help your
decision.

Personally, I've gotten past the point of "going cheap" with tools in
general and certainly with flying "tools". Now I carefully consider my
current and projected needs (for whatever tool I'm considering) and buy the
tool that fits those best. Sometimes I have to save a while, but I
eventually get the best tool for the job. Getting frustrated in the cockpit
because I saved some money isn't really worth the effort. Besides, my
experience is that not spending the money on the right tool now costs me
much more in the long run because I end up swapping the "cheap" tool for the
right one later.

Just my opinion.

For the record, I use the AnywhereMap system. I find a lot of other uses
for the PDA outside the cockpit and the "clutter factor" is no worse than a
dedicated aviation unit with remote antenna. Also, compared to dedicated
aviation units, the cost/benefit ratio is competitive, in my opinion. I
don't think I fly much more than the average GA pilot, but I find the AWM a
rather useful tool - especially for XC flying.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 21st 04, 03:08 PM
Toks Desalu

Point well taken. Thanks. I am now looking into NAVGPS and AnywhereMap. Any
other software that I should be looking into?

ws.com...

Old May 23rd 04, 07:37 PM
Thomas Borchert

Toks,

I hope I have deciphered your rather cryptic message right. Captain
Picard probably would have liked it. For a cheap PocketPC-based GPS
moving map, try www.pocketfms.com

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 24th 04, 04:41 AM
David Johnson

Any others that I should be looking at?

Any Suggestion?

Check out Vista from RMS Technology: www.rmstek.com.

I have seen it demonstrated, but haven't used it myself.
I'll be interested to know what you finally decide on.

David Johnson
Old May 24th 04, 07:55 PM
Navzilla Team

Any others that I should be looking at?

Any Suggestion?

We hope you include Navzilla in your moving map search.

There are some hardware reviews on our web site that you might find
useful regardless of the software you ultimately choose.

Thanks,
The Navzilla Team
www.navzilla.com