IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Old September 19th 04, 01:16 AM
old hoodoo

Default IVAN--Pensacola NMNA survived (unconfirmed report)

Being a relatively new building, and I think built with private funds
to the newer building codes, the National Museum of Naval Aviation has
initially been reported to have weathered the storm intact which is what
was expected (with crossed fingers I presume) from such a structure.

Only a one liner, included in an article re the blue angels.

"Storm damage forces Navy’s Blue Angels to skip Oceana show

By JACK DORSEY, The Virginian-Pilot
© September 18, 2004

......The Naval Aviation Museum, where the Navy houses its most valuable
aviation artifacts, held up, officials said...."

So, apparently that magnificent collection was spared, and the decision
to build a museum there was not an "historical disaster" as they may
have built it right. Its my understanding that the museum itself is
privately owned and funded, although it works in close association with
the Navy.

Still would like some confirmation though.

AL

Old September 19th 04, 01:48 AM
N329DF

Still would like some confirmation though.

so would I, was planning on stopping there in bout a 10 days or so on the way
home with a DC-3.
Old September 19th 04, 03:10 AM
vincent p. norris

Being a relatively new building, and I think built with private funds
to the newer building codes, the National Museum of Naval Aviation has
initially been reported to have weathered the storm intact which is what
was expected (with crossed fingers I presume) from such a structure.

Only a one liner, included in an article re the blue angels.

Today, Saturday, the WX channel quoted the CO of NAS Pensacola as
syaing there had been "significant damage" to the NAS. The Museum was
not mentioned. Let's hope that means it was NOT among the things
damaged.

vince norris
Old September 19th 04, 08:09 AM
Thomas A. Hoffer

I copied this article segment from a local Pensacola newspaper. Looks the
exhibits suffered no damage with minor damage to the building itself. While
it mentions some damage to static aircraft displays outside, it sounds like
nothing was totally destroyed. I'm curious if the "significant" damage to
some planes is fixable.

" The National Museum of Naval Aviation was almost unscathed by the storm.
Nichols said there were a few leaks in the roof, but the exhibits inside
were unharmed.

Some of the historic aircraft parked on the tarmac behind the museum were
damaged, however. The canopy of an A-6 was sheared off. A couple of wings
lay on the pavement and some planes, evidently blown off their moorings, had
collided with other aircraft, causing significant damage."

Old September 19th 04, 10:56 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:16:49 -0500, old hoodoo
wrote:

.....The Naval Aviation Museum, where the Navy houses its most valuable
aviation artifacts, held up, officials said...."

Al and I are among those who are waiting with anxiety to hear from the
museum, not only for its existing collection, but because of its
recent acquisition of the only Brewster F2A-1 fighter (indeed, the
only "Buffalo") in existence. This is BW-372, a Finnish Air Force
fighter recovered from a lake in Russia six years ago. See the Annals
of the Brewster Buffalo at www.warbirdforum.com/buff.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com
Old September 19th 04, 12:33 PM
Jack Linthicum

vincent p. norris wrote in message . ..
Being a relatively new building, and I think built with private funds
to the newer building codes, the National Museum of Naval Aviation has
initially been reported to have weathered the storm intact which is what
was expected (with crossed fingers I presume) from such a structure.

Only a one liner, included in an article re the blue angels.

Today, Saturday, the WX channel quoted the CO of NAS Pensacola as
syaing there had been "significant damage" to the NAS. The Museum was
not mentioned. Let's hope that means it was NOT among the things
damaged.

My copy of Florida Today, a Gannett paper, says that the "Pensacola
NAS has sustained "hundreds of millions" of dollars in damage and will
be closed for repairs indefinitely said Capt. John Pruitt, commanding
officer at the base.

All buildings along the water, particularly those in the historic Navy
yards area in the southeastern section of the base, have been flooded
badly. Many have lost all or portions of their roofs.

"(The storm surge) swept through the entire historical landmark
district within the old wall area" Pruitt said. September 19, 2004,
page 10B.
Old September 19th 04, 05:47 PM
BuZzY

Did he wear a handsome flight suit and swagger-?

I imagine the airstrip there, and indeed in any Navy base, is built to
some incredibly strong specifications--maybe deeper substrate, etc.--the
geology of Pensacola may be a little challenging when planning such a
patch of tarmac.

On the other hand, CNN today showed video of the President leaving an
aircraft (apparently a VC-20) and said he had landed at NAS Pensacola.
Curious.