U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world

Old September 14th 03, 12:26 PM
Peter Skelton

On 14 Sep 2003 03:03:04 GMT, IBM wrote:

"John Mullen" wrote in news:KMd8b.5371$YL.2063@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

Richard Bernstein, NYT
Reprinted in the International Herald Tribune.

U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world

Do we give a rat's hinder?

We've been treated to the spectacle of the Shrub approaching the
Germans, French et al on bended knee for help in Iraq.

Meanwhile the UN resoultion on Iran goes forward with European
sponsorship.

Apparently you do.
____

Peter Skelton
Old September 14th 03, 03:07 PM
Mike Marron

Peter Skelton wrote:
IBM wrote:
"John Mullen" wrote:

U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world

Do we give a rat's hinder?

We've been treated to the spectacle of the Shrub approaching the
Germans, French et al on bended knee for help in Iraq.

Yet another America-hater from Canada speaks up. Look at it this
way, Peter -- we had to take a knee in order to lower ourselves to the
level of the Germans, French et. al.

Meanwhile the UN resoultion on Iran goes forward with European
sponsorship.

The Iranians and their young population (70-percent of whom are
younger than 30) want the opportunities and freedoms that America
represents and they believe that better relations with the U.S. would
revitalize Iranian life and help their country shed its pariah status.

Meanwhile, all the Europeans and the rest of the world who couldn't
care less about Iran desperately want is to put some prestige back in
the UN for their own needs.

Apparently you do.

Nah, though we may politely ask, if you won't give us your help
as usual we'll still be doing it all ourselves.

-Mike Marron

Old September 14th 03, 04:31 PM
phil hunt

On 14 Sep 2003 03:03:04 GMT, IBM wrote:
"John Mullen" wrote in news:KMd8b.5371$YL.2063@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

Richard Bernstein, NYT
Reprinted in the International Herald Tribune.

U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world

Do we give a rat's hinder?

Well, if the USA had a better public reputation, less American
soldiers would be coming back in body bags from Iraq right now.

--
A: top posting

Q: what's the most annoying thing about Usenet?

Old September 14th 03, 04:43 PM
William Black

"Fred J. McCall" wrote in message
Coridon Henshaw ) wrote:

:"Jim McLaughlin" wrote in
:news:S2A8b.431325$Ho3.69216@sccrnsc03:
:
: Saudi royal funded Wahabbist crazies
:
:Since they are *Saudi* funded crazies, just why are you doing asking the
:rest of the world to march on Iraq rather than on Saudi Arabia?

Why are Lefties so unutterably stupid?

I suppose you also wonder why we don't invade North Korea and
Pakistan, right?

They know why.

Pakistan is a nasty military dictatorship that needed friends and was for
sale. It was bought for less than the cost of an invasion.

North Korea got nukes.

--
William Black
------------------

Old September 14th 03, 05:53 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:14:12 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

Alan Minyard wrote:

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:33:18 GMT, (Brian Allardice)
wrote:

In article ,
says...

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including
whether such use is of a commercial
nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

This could be fun... what about public schools run by for profit education
companies? Is it Philadelphia, among others, where such a thing is going on?

Not a problem. Private universities have been using the academic
exemption for many years without a conflict.

...under very specific restrictions, and they have to retain some
control of the work. They're also restricted in the number of copies
they can make at any one time.

Some of them have been caught with this, too, in making "sourcebooks"
for teachers with large numbers of copyrighted works in a compilation.
Many of the smart ones ante up the fee for reprinting the pieces
(usually a nominal fee for this use), and pass the costs on to the
students. Often, a local bookstore will make the arrangements for
printing and fees.

Read this, for a start:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyrigh...w/chapter9/9-c
.html#1

The Religious Technology (Scientology) Center vs Lerma case is one of
the most famous examples of someone getting in trouble for republishing
materials on the Internet. The Religious Technology Center vs
Pagliarina case is an example of *not* exceeding fair use.

The URL that you give is for "Fair Use", a different section of the
(excellent) web site cover "educational use". For instance, video
taping an entire program for use in the classroom is allowed, as is
the copying of entire poems, short stories, etc.

Al Minyard
Old September 14th 03, 06:38 PM
Alan Minyard

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 21:03:17 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
Alan Minyard wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:10:10 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

Much as I hate to say it, Vince is absolutely correct on this issue.

Not according to the law that he quoted.

There is also an academic exemption. Fair use has been around for many
years.

But not for entire articles, except under very specific constraints (in
libraries and similar collections). Republishing the contents of an
article on the Internet is completely out of that area.

Under the academic exemption, he could probably get away with a
more-substantial quote in an academic journal than if he was printing it
in a local paper as part of a critique, but it's still very clear that
reproducing an entire piece breaks substantiality.

You'll also note this is a "rec" newsgroup, not an "ed" or "sci" one.

I agree that making multiple copies of an entire book to avoid buying
the book would be a violation, however reproducing an article in a
newspaper/magazine is subject to the academic exemption. That
particular exemption is rather liberally applied.

Al Minyard
Old September 14th 03, 06:45 PM
Ugly Bob

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
Aerophotos wrote:

Maybe ed sometime it takes men of courage and ability to see beyond the
silver lining of the present..

Before addressing some specifics, I feel obliged to note that while
lack of capitalization served e. e. cummings well and lack of
punctuation and a stream of consciousness that is almost
indecipherable made James Joyce a lot of money, it doesn't work to add
credibility to your postings. Take a moment after composition to
proof-read.

Amen! And learn how to conjugate! Damn, this 'Jolly Green'
character is evidently too ignorant to know that he's humiliating
himself (in this _very_ public froum).

-Ugly Bob

snip

Old September 14th 03, 07:54 PM
Kevin Brooks

Peter Skelton wrote in message . ..
On 14 Sep 2003 03:03:04 GMT, IBM wrote:

"John Mullen" wrote in news:KMd8b.5371$YL.2063@news-
binary.blueyonder.co.uk:

Richard Bernstein, NYT
Reprinted in the International Herald Tribune.

U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world

Do we give a rat's hinder?

We've been treated to the spectacle of the Shrub approaching the
Germans, French et al on bended knee for help in Iraq.

Hmm? And where do you see us acquiescing to giving up command, or for
that matter just *how* are we on "bended knee"?

Meanwhile the UN resoultion on Iran goes forward with European
sponsorship.

Iran?

Apparently you do.

He did what? Couldn't possibly be anything you have not already
done...let's see, what is the total now for your claims of personal
expertise and experience, like personal attendance at briefings where
we allegedly acknowledged war crimes, attendance of the 10th LID's
BUB's, and having supposedly done so much for the 24th MEU that had
they killed a bunch of taliban your past twelve months of work would
have been "wasted", right? Have you made up any new ones lately?

Brooks

____

Peter Skelton

Old September 14th 03, 08:32 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Alan Minyard wrote:

The URL that you give is for "Fair Use", a different section of the
(excellent) web site cover "educational use". For instance, video
taping an entire program for use in the classroom is allowed, as is
the copying of entire poems, short stories, etc.

But making a lot of copies and distributing them randomly around campus
is, most certainly, not.

Like making a copy of a complete newspaper story and dumping it on
Usenet.

Slam on brakes accordingly.