End of the World

Old February 3rd 05, 05:06 PM
George Patterson

Default End of the World

One of the writers at the Knoxville News-Sentinel just ran a column on some
incidents in which people were sure it was here. In one case, a storm was moving
into western North Carolina while one of the local men was away from home. His
wife got scared and took the kids over to her sister's house to let it blow
over. This was maybe around 1950.

They were walking back home after the storm when eerie lights began flashing
around the top of one of the local mountains. Back to the sister's house. They
were sure it was the second coming, and both families stayed up all night
praying. Shortly before dawn, the lights quit. They decided not to go home
because surely the world would end the next night.

Then her husband came trucking up the road with a newspaper. Asheville airport
had been testing out their new searchlight system.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 3rd 05, 05:34 PM
C J Campbell

The world ends on May 6. I am looking forward to it with great anticipation.
:-)

Old February 3rd 05, 05:38 PM
C J Campbell

http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html

Old February 3rd 05, 05:44 PM
Sam O'Nella

Speaking of Fin Du Monde, One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen was
in Belize.

A sect of the Essenes believed the rapture would happen at the turn of the
millennium. So, they built a lavish oceanfront compound complete with a
huge oceanfront baptismal pool, life-size Jonah whale statue, the world's
largest solar collector, diesel generators, massive food supplies, a workout
gym and a nature area with *2 of every animal* (what they could acquire
anyway).

http://www.realgoods.com/calsolar/cs_belize.html

When Y2K came and went, they abandoned the place. A hurricane blew away the
solar array and damaged much of the compound. It sits there today rotting
away, aside from an equally bizarre pizza takeout place started by the son
of the guy who masterminded this whole thing. It is a real testament of the
extremes even so-called modern people will go to in the name of religion.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:48 PM
C J Campbell

"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
Speaking of Fin Du Monde, One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen

was
in Belize.

Is that the story behind that place on Ambergris Caye? I wondered about
that. The pizza place has the oddest hours.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:20 PM
Sam O'Nella

C J Campbell wrote:
"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
Speaking of Fin Du Monde, One of the most bizarre things I've ever
seen was in Belize.

Is that the story behind that place on Ambergris Caye? I wondered
about that. The pizza place has the oddest hours.

As told to me from a local resident; a tour guide for the resort next door.
He suggested we go look for ourselves, which of course we did. Really
creepy. I also heard it could be had for $2.5M; a bargain.

Pauly makes some excellent pizza though!

Old February 3rd 05, 07:16 PM
George Patterson

Sam O'Nella wrote:

Speaking of Fin Du Monde, One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen was
in Belize.

A sect of the Essenes believed the rapture would happen at the turn of the
millennium. So, they built a lavish oceanfront compound complete with a
huge oceanfront baptismal pool, life-size Jonah whale statue, the world's
largest solar collector, diesel generators, massive food supplies, a workout
gym and a nature area with *2 of every animal* (what they could acquire
anyway).

What happened to the animals?

Old February 3rd 05, 07:30 PM
C J Campbell

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Sam O'Nella wrote:

Speaking of Fin Du Monde, One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen

was
in Belize.

A sect of the Essenes believed the rapture would happen at the turn of

the
millennium. So, they built a lavish oceanfront compound complete with a
huge oceanfront baptismal pool, life-size Jonah whale statue, the

world's
largest solar collector, diesel generators, massive food supplies, a

workout
gym and a nature area with *2 of every animal* (what they could acquire
anyway).

What happened to the animals?

Caught up in the rapture with the Essenes. We are all the ones left behind.
:-)

Old February 3rd 05, 08:16 PM
Sam O'Nella

What happened to the animals?

No idea. Perhaps they were new year's lunch.

Old February 3rd 05, 08:36 PM
Jimbo

For those who haven't seen it... here's a brief insight into what happens
when the world ends. On of my friends claims to be the co-creator of this
video.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/endofworld.html

Jimbo.