Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer

Old February 11th 05, 03:32 PM
Gary G

Default Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer

I started my PP training about 1 1/2 years ago, but due to some unfortunate medical problems
in my family, have had to postpone it until this summer.

Now that the Sport Pilot license is available, I inquired with my school.
The manager basically said "it's useless" and couldn't really see why anyone would
want it. Later in his conversation he says, "...unless someone just wants to fly around
their airport - you can't really go anywhere..." - which is only partially true
if one gets an endorsement on ADIZ, Class B, and Cross Country.
However, I see a great opportunity in this program, and would like it as a stepping
stone to my Private.

I will note that they don't have any planes that qualify - I don't know how close a 152 is, but
I think it's a bit over the limit.

I've seen a lot of excitement generated about this license, but I am a little frustrated by the fact
that they would be so opposed to it.
I can see them not going out of their way to get a plane that qualifies - no big deal. That's a business
decision.
But a harsh opposition based on "his view" concerns me.
Maybe if he had justification on safety or other substantive issues, ok.
But such an obtuse statement makes no effort to understand the student.

Does anyone know of places in Maryland that will offer the Sport License?
Frederick?
Laurel?
Tipton?
Bay Bridge?

Thank you!

Gary

Old February 11th 05, 04:30 PM
ET

"Gary G" wrote in
:

[...]

He doesn't have a CLUE as to what sport pilot is! Either that, or he
simply knows he can't accomidate you with his current fleet, and therefore
must sh*t on the whole concept if he wants you as a student. He will come
around eventually though.

It may be awhile, the infrastructure for Sport Pilot is coming into place,
and will be well represented by the end of 2005. Right now, there are only
8 sport pilot examiners (only 2 of which are SEL), but there will be at
least 100 by the end of the year.

Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get signed
off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do that right
away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night flight, minus VOR's
, minus towered radio work (or any radio work at all depending on equipment
in the trainer); minus hood work. That's where the 20 hrs base training
comes in. I intend to get my basic Sport Pilot lic., then take training in
flight into C and B airspace etc. later. The endorsement is added to your
logbook by the CFI only at that point. This will also make the checkride
much more straightforward, as the examiner basically just has to test you
on flying the plane! again, no hood work, no VOR's, no towered radio work,
etc.

Later, if you decide you want to get your PPL, you just go back and get
some training in the above areas (bringing total training hours up to min
40 as well), get your medical, get your checkride and go!

We will see more flight schools offering Sport Pilot as more potential
students look around for leaseback options and decide that a $70,000 brand
new Zodiac 601XL SLSA, is a better idea for leaseback than a 40 year old
152 or 172 which is very likely to cost $5K - $25K plus for every annual in
addition to higher fuel consumption etc.

Here is a link to a Maryland CC that is offering sport pilot ground school,
I bet they know exactly where you can take flight training or they would be
unlikely to offer the ground school.

http://www.carrollcc.edu/assets/publ...e/pdf/2005/Non
creditwinter2005extracts/occupationalpreparation&development_winter05.pdf

the above might take some cutting and pasting, as an alternative try:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z2491247A

Post back here and tell us what they say!

-ET

Old February 11th 05, 04:31 PM
Cecil Chapman

At the risk of suggesting something that you already tried, I would offer
that you should check with the EAA on their website and I'm certain they
will be able to properly direct you.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 11th 05, 04:44 PM
George Patterson

Gary G wrote:

I will note that they don't have any planes that qualify - I don't know how close a 152 is, but
I think it's a bit over the limit.

That's it, right there. He'll change his tune if he ever gets a sport aircraft
on the line. You frequently find a similar opposition to the use of automotive
fuel from mechanics that have a stake in the sale of 100LL.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 11th 05, 04:52 PM
Jürgen Exner

ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get
signed off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do
that right away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night
flight, minus VOR's , minus towered radio work (or any radio work at
all depending on equipment in the trainer); minus hood work.

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus family
flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size), ...

I am sure I missed quite a few additional limitations

jue

Old February 11th 05, 05:07 PM
W P Dixon

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get
signed off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do
that right away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night
flight, minus VOR's , minus towered radio work (or any radio work at
all depending on equipment in the trainer); minus hood work.

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus family
flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size), ...

I am sure I missed quite a few additional limitations

jue
So what your saying Jue is it just basically means someone who just wants
to fly for the fun of it? Well that is the whole point! As for long
distance flying , yes I can do that and yes I may have to stop more for
fuel....I don't mind at all IT'S FUN!!!! Only having one passenger is
fine by me...I get to leave the kids at the Grandparents house and take
little romantic getaways with my wife! Hmm, STILL FUN! And I can always
take the kids up around the patch one at a time to get them interested in
aviation. EVEN MORE FUN!

As for going to another country, I have no need nor any desire to go
overseas. Been there done that and much prefer to stay right here in the
good ole USA. I also have no need or desire to fly a 737 or in IFR..just
want a simple plane to have fun in. Amazing how it all points back to just
having FUN!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old February 11th 05, 05:10 PM
ET

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in

ET wrote:
Sport pilot is for all of us who want to just fly. Yeah you can get
signed off to fly to C and B airspace etc., but you don't need to do
that right away. At the base level sport pilot is PPL minus night
flight, minus VOR's , minus towered radio work (or any radio work at
all depending on equipment in the trainer); minus hood work.

Minus international flying (not recognized outside the USA), minus
family flying (limited to 2 seats), minus long-distance flying (even
with the x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because
of limited airplane size), ...

I am sure I missed quite a few additional limitations

jue

Well, I was giving examples of the training that would not be required,
but I'll respond to your post anyway:

Sport Pilot range:

As an example, a Zodiac 601XL will outlast your bladder and the desire
to stretch your legs. The Zodiac will fly almost 5 hrs and well over 600
miles without needing to stop for fuel, is that not cross country
enough????? So your range comment is pure poppycock.....

International Flying:

Canada is already in the process of officially recognising sport pilots,
in Mexico you will simply have to get permission ahead of time, the same
way anyone flying an Experimental has to get permission ahead of time.
Yes, more complicated than just PPL

Family Flying:

Yes Sport Pilot is limited to two seats, guess you got me there grin.
On the up side, for the price of a brand new 172 you can by 2 brand new
sport planes AND AN SUV!!!! and mom can fly one kid, while dad flys the
other, all while still burning 3gph less total fuel as the 172 BIG
GRIN!

Not only that, but as an aging baby boomer with money to spend on
hobbies, your much more likely to dump 70grand on an aircraft that you
have confidence your next visit to the FAA health police will not
disqualify you from flying!!!

-ET
Old February 11th 05, 05:13 PM
George Patterson

"Jürgen Exner" wrote:

even with the
x-country you will have to land frequently to refuel because of limited
airplane size

Not really. They carry less fuel, but they burn less per hour. A 65 hp Chief
with its 15 gallons will stay in the air nearly as long as a 180hp Maule with
its 43 gallons. Cross-country flights will be a problem because a typical sport
aircraft is slower, not because of fuel capacity problems.

Old February 11th 05, 07:20 PM
Robert M. Gary

We should be careful how we say "Sport Aircraft". There are "Sport
Aircraft" which I believe refers to planes who's airworthiness ticket
says "Sport Aircraft category" and then there are qualified "Normal"
category aircraft that meet the requirements to be flown by "Sport
Pilots".

-Robert

Old February 11th 05, 07:23 PM
Robert M. Gary

As a CFI, if someone walked up to me and asked for Sport Pilot
training, I might turn them down. We don't really have any reference
material for such a program. I guess we now have a PTS (check ride
standards) but there are no sylibus, etc for us to follow. Since none
of us have done one before we'd be winging it as to what to teach for
each lesson. We need enough CFIs to take students through the process
and then show the rest of us how it worked. Also, at this point, there
are no examiners in my area that are approved to give sport pilot
checkrides (or at least know how to do them).

Also, be aware. If you have a medical condition that disqualified you
for a medical certificate you CANNOT get a sport pilot certificate as a
way around the medical condition (my understanding).

-Robert