French block airlift of British troops to Basra

Old September 17th 03, 12:17 PM
Michael Petukhov

Default French block airlift of British troops to Basra

French block airlift of British troops to Basra 16.09.2003 [06:41]

The French government has told an airline that it is not to ferry
British troops to Basra, a ban that will be seen as reflecting Paris's
opposition to the occupation of Iraq.

Corsair, which has been chartered numerous times to transport UK
forces around the world, pulled out of a contract to fly
reinforcements to Basra at the weekend.

About 1,400 more troops are being sent to Basra as part of an attempt
to prevent the "strategic failure" predicted by Jack Straw, the
Foreign Secretary, with a similar number expected to be announced
within weeks.

A Corsair Airbus A330 was chartered to fly troops of the Royal Green
Jackets from Brize Norton, Oxon, but at the last moment the French
transport ministry grounded the aircraft citing safety concerns.

Transport ministry officials were reported yesterday as saying the
move had nothing to do with safety but was a result of the
intervention of the foreign ministry.

The foreign ministry denied the report, saying there was "no political
motive". But British defence officials appeared to confirm that the
ban was political and not technical.

"We have used them time and time again to fly troops into trouble
spots," one said. "They have been everywhere for us. We always thought
they were pretty robust."

A Corsair spokesman said most of the flights undertaken for the MoD
took troops to training exercises. For security and insurance reasons
they rarely flew to war zones.

"We did fly to Pristina during the Kosovo crisis, but only once it had
been cleared for civil aviation."

Basra is already open to civilian aircraft.

Source: Telegraph.co.uk, UK
Old September 17th 03, 12:46 PM
Christians for Cheeseburgers.

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
m...
French block airlift of British troops to Basra 16.09.2003 [06:41]

Sooner or later there will need to be some serious payback for France and
Germany.

Old September 17th 03, 02:48 PM
NEMO ME IMPUNE

YES, But US and Brits and others are yet paying a high toll for their
stuborness

message de news: ...

Old September 17th 03, 10:56 PM
tscottme

Tarver Engineering wrote in message

If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American

People
have, the French People would riot.

I suspect the French people would look to hire someone to riot for them,
probably one of their Arab terrorist allies.

--

Scott
--------

Old September 17th 03, 11:09 PM
Tarver Engineering

"tscottme" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote in message

If the UK public were to boycott French products like the American

People
have, the French People would riot.

I suspect the French people would look to hire someone to riot for them,
probably one of their Arab terrorist allies.

People without work might II Deuce, Chirac.

Old September 18th 03, 12:03 AM
Kevin Brooks

"NEMO ME IMPUNE" wrote in message ...
YES, But US and Brits and others are yet paying a high toll for their
stuborness

Much better to be a toll payer than a freeloader like France. When was
the last time France paid its own "tolls"? That would have been about
1918, right?

Brooks