I've had it with Chinese tools!

Old November 20th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

Default I've had it with Chinese tools!

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
.. .

Check Sears.

Their website shows an SK pair for $84.99, or Craftsman 6 and 9 inch for
$99.99.

Each, or for the pair?

For the pair. I can't find them seperately though.

The SW pliers I bought suck because the tips don't even meet when you
tighten your grip. Part of it is my fault for not paying good attention
when I bought them.

Not familiar with SW. But if they have a lifetime guarantee, return them
saying they bent.

Old November 20th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Juan Jimenez wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message ...
Juan Jimenez wrote:
Hmm. Does ACE have things like safety wire pliers?

For crying out loud, yawn, learn to safety by hand. I can safety one
handed in many places the pliers won't fit.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Sure, Dan, and wheels used to be made out of rock too. You go.

You were complaining about quality, then complained about cost when
shown where to buy good quality. That leaves doing it by hand. I venture
to say you didn't save much time or energy using safety wire pliers on
your BD-5J paperweight over doing it by hand.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old November 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
.. .

Check Sears.

Their website shows an SK pair for $84.99, or Craftsman 6 and 9 inch for
$99.99.

Each, or for the pair?

For the pair. I can't find them seperately though.

That is _much_ more reasonable.

The SW pliers I bought suck because the tips don't even meet when you
tighten your grip. Part of it is my fault for not paying good attention
when I bought them.

Not familiar with SW. But if they have a lifetime guarantee, return them
saying they bent.

No vendor at the OSH outdoor market offers any kind of guarantee, that I can
remember.

Old November 20th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Dan" wrote in message
Juan Jimenez wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
Juan Jimenez wrote:
Hmm. Does ACE have things like safety wire pliers?

For crying out loud, yawn, learn to safety by hand. I can safety one
handed in many places the pliers won't fit.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Sure, Dan, and wheels used to be made out of rock too. You go.

You were complaining about quality, then complained about cost when shown
where to buy good quality.

And your reading skills continue to drop, but that's about par for you.
You're still as irrelevant as ever.

Get over it, boy.

Old November 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Juan Jimenez wrote:

At $100 a pop for the smallest set of safety wire pliers? I don't think
so. I am not interested in subsidizing airshow display trailers and
parties, performer sponsorships, etc. What I want is realiable tools at
reasonable prices.

I feel your pain.

30 years ago, there was middle grades of tools
that were reasonably priced and would last a
lifetime. The middle ground seems to have
disappeared.

Amen. That is very true.

I'm still ok with the most expensive grade of
Craftsman tools. They are not as good as they
used to be, but are still better than most of
the crap in hardware stores.

As to the safety wire pliers, I'd expect to
pay $100 for a quality pair. They are a low
volume item and must be assembled from several
parts. Even a decent pair of vicegrips cost
$20 these days and they probably turn them
out in the 100's of thousands.

I still can't see $100 for 6" safety wire pliers. $50, yes, but not much
more than that. I don't need fancy features like left or right hand, etc.
Just a good reliable tools is all I need.

Keep an eye on military surplus sales. You
might find the one you used in the Marines (:
I'd certainly like to have the one that was
in my toolbox in the Army.

Have you found these surplus sales in small qty's? I've seen some but they
come by the palletload.

Juan

Old November 20th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Juan Jimenez" wrote

The SW pliers I bought suck because the tips don't even meet when you
tighten your grip. Part of it is my fault for not paying good attention when
I bought them.

They don't have to meet, if they are still able to grip the thinest piece of
safety wire you will use.

They do not have to be able to twist thread! G

Lineman's pliers are built like that. They do not meet, but still will grip
down to about 18 gauge wire.

No vendor at the OSH outdoor market offers any kind of guarantee, that I can
remember.

If they are a brand that Craftsman carries, take it to any Sears store. They
will replace them on the spot, no receipt, no questions asked.

At least that is my experience. It does not matter where you bought them.
Don't ask don't tell, or something like that!
--
Jim in NC

Old November 20th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

I find whether it's going to the big box stores or the local hardware
store it's difficult to find good tools outside of small hand tools.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 21st 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
.Blueskies.

"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message .. .
: Hmm. Does ACE have things like safety wire pliers?
:
Any pair of pliers are safety wire pliers...used correctly. Oh, you mean twisters!

;-)

Old November 21st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
I find whether it's going to the big box stores or the local hardware
store it's difficult to find good tools outside of small hand tools.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

I went with the brand names I remember using in the USAF. I paid the
going price when I had to, saved money when I could, but generally got
my money's worth. If I could still buy ribbed butt splices I would have
gone with Amp crimpers, as it was I went with DMC since I made a good
deal on e-bay for new.

Now that K-mart sells Craftsman there is an increased number of
locations to get replacements if that's the brand of hand tools one
prefers.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old November 21st 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jls

Capt.Doug wrote:
"Juan Jimenez" wrote in message
I've had it with the El Cheapo Corp. tools I've been buying from vendors

at
OSH and other places. When I really need them to deliver, they break or

fail
to work as they should.

I bought my safety-wire pliers off the Snap-On truck 26 years ago. The
initial cost is pricey, but amortized over 26 years plus another couple of
decades of expected usage, the cost is a bargain. The next best option for
me is the Sears store, especially on the weekends when I don't want to drive
out to the Snap-On guy's house.

D.

I just bought a set of Snap-On safety wire pliers. They were just over
$100 and reversible twist too. I got some smaller ones without a
return spring that work well too. Bought them at Osh several years
ago. Don't know the brand but I think they were made in Taiwan. If
they're made in Taiwan, not China, they're usually better quality. I
got a feeling the Chinese are getting a kick dumping junk on us for our
cash nowadays.