A deal at Home Depot

Old November 18th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Default A deal at Home Depot

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
At my local Home Depot they seem to do a bigger than normal business
with contractors. This evening I was in buying normal house supplies
and they has a sign up - open a business account, get 50% off any one
item in their tool section.

I'd been thinking of getting a large air compressor, they had one I
liked for $800. I asked if it was covered by their offer, they said
yes. So I opened an account (24% interest rate!) bought the
compressor on account, then paid off the account with a check then and
there. $400 off.

I don't know if other HD's do this, you might want to keep an eye
open.

Sweet!

So, don't tease us so! Tell us about your new "item." g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 18th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Drew Dalgleish

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:29:50 -0800, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 09:30:33 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
. ..
At my local Home Depot they seem to do a bigger than normal business
with contractors. This evening I was in buying normal house supplies
and they has a sign up - open a business account, get 50% off any one
item in their tool section.

I'd been thinking of getting a large air compressor, they had one I
liked for $800. I asked if it was covered by their offer, they said
yes. So I opened an account (24% interest rate!) bought the
compressor on account, then paid off the account with a check then and
there. $400 off.

I don't know if other HD's do this, you might want to keep an eye
open.

Sweet!

So, don't tease us so! Tell us about your new "item." g

Internet/Catalog # 100005910
Brand HUSKY
Model # HS7810
Air Delivery 12.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI
Assembled Depth (In Inches) 31 In.
Assembled Height (In Inches) 78
Assembled Weight (In LBS) 458
Assembled Width (In Inches) 41
Carrying System No
Engine Horsepower 7 HP
Max Air Pressure Delivery 175 PSI
Motor Induction
Power Requirement 240 volts/17.3 amps
Regulator Yes
Tank Capacity 80 Gal.
Tank Pressure Gauge Yes
Weight(Lbs.) 458 Lbs.

Of course this means I have to get 220 in the garage. How horrible.
I'd never want that, of course.

I put mine in the basement beside the panel so I wouldn't have to
listen to it while I'm working.
Old November 19th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Richard Riley wrote:
I wish someone would convince homebuilders in California that
basements are a good thing.

Basements appear to be more common on newer California construction. Here's
an interesting article on the trend and why basements were more common in
the midwest and east but no so common in the west:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/me...ews3-0116.html

The need to dig down at least 4 feet to anchor the foundation so as to get
below the winter frost-line was the reason I heard many years ago for why
basements were prevalent where I grew up (Minnesota). Once you have to dig
that deep, the thinking presumably went, you may as well dig down a few
more and have a basement. No such motive existed in most of California.
Old November 19th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Richard Riley" wrote

Internet/Catalog # 100005910
Brand HUSKY
Model # HS7810
Air Delivery 12.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI
Engine Horsepower 7 HP
Max Air Pressure Delivery 175 PSI
Motor Induction
Power Requirement 240 volts/17.3 amps

Of course this means I have to get 220 in the garage. How horrible.
I'd never want that, of course.

Nice.

My best advice is to install a new subpanel in the garage.

Put a 100 amp breaker in your existing panel, and feed 4 lines to your sub
panel. You need 4 so you have dedicated 2 hots, and a neutral, and a separate
ground. You will need to separate the ground and neutral in the new panel,
unlike most primary panels. I think that is correct. I'm not a licensed
electrician, but I recall that is what was required in my house, to meet code.

You will need to install lots of different new circuits, more than likely, for
lighting, machines, welders, ect. It will be cheaper in the long run to have
the panel, so you don't have to run new circuits all of the way back to your
existing panel. Of course, if your existing panel is right on the other side of
the wall from your garage, ..."never mind!" g

One of the other posters also mentioned putting the new air machine in the
basement (that you don't have) and the concept of not having to listen to it is
a very, very, very good point. You might consider putting a small lean-to type
of shed on the outside wall of the garage, or a tall free standing doghouse
outside of the garage. The positives far out weigh the negatives, IMHO.

When you wire it up, you also might consider putting it on a wind-up type of
timer. It always seems I was leaving the workshop without turning off the
compressor, and having to get out of bed (after getting an elbow in the ribs) to
go turn it off, after it slowly leaked down and started up in the wee hours of
the morning.

Enjoy. Also, I have another trick. The reason it starts in the wee hours, is
because I have the drain cracked ever so slightly, so that it takes about 3 or 4
hours lo leak enough to turn back on. This makes the draining of the compressor
unnecessary, as it is always draining. It is a good idea to check on it
occasionally, to make sure it has not gotten plugged shut, and not draining.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 20th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Well this Californa homeowner/DIY builder did put a basement (40X24) under
my place in the desert. We live just 40 miles North of Rutan's Skunk Works.
We didn't bother putting a vapor barrier beneath the basement concrete floor
because you can get a prize if you can spit and it hits the ground. It is
dry here. We are on the east side of the Sierras about 2 miles away from a
canyon that has a stream part of the year that hits the ground about 4 miles
away and disappears right into the ground. I've lived in the area 41 years
and have never seen any flood water get anywhere within miles of our house.
However, when we decided to put an extension on our existing building, we
were informed that we were in some flood plain and a threat of 0.5' of
standing or running water was declared by FEMA to be a risk in the 100year
flood. Further they told us that if the cost of the addition exceeded 50%
of the existing structure, we might be required to "Raise the existing
structure 1.5" This we have in writing and they were informed of the 9'
deep basement and the "existing structure is a 40X72 steel building.
In spite of the dry desert environment, I don't believe that it is
currently possible to get a permit to build a basement in our area. Our
basement maintains a very comfortable temperature year round and has never
been flooded by any act of nature in the 34 years it has existed.
BTW the permit for our 24X72 addition for a car garage cost in excess of
$1,000. No plumbing, no electric, no windows.
Think carefully before you decide you have to have a basement. I don't know
about you but I'm getting sick and tired of government intervention in my
personal life.

--
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .

Old November 20th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

[...]

We have similar *()&^^%$ lunacy down here in Florida, with ever increasing
intensity since the early nineties, ostensibly to reduce the cost of
reconstruction following a hurricane. The net result has been that any
significant remodeling or repair costs MUCH, MUCH more and the costs of
construction, repair, and insurance have multiplied. Yet our brilliant
electorate, with the helpful assistance of the popular media, continues to
elect the *&&^%$$ reperesntatives who make all of the lunacy possible.

Grrr.

Peter

Old November 21st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

True! And need to get enough people doing so to make a difference.

".Blueskies." wrote in message
Need to vote libertarian...

Old November 22nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

We voted straight Libertarian this election. Further we offered to a
Libertarian talk show host a to start a funding scheme whereby I send in
$10 to the Libertarians and get three other people to do the same. This
process needs someone to keep poking it and making sure the people follow up
with getting the three others. I believe if the Libertarians raised $100
million this way the othe political party would have to take note. Just 10
million people are required and I believe that there are at least that many
out there that are getting tired of what they see coming from our elected
"representatives".
If this process was made to work, I feel I could get a lot more from my $10
than I did from my vote.

--
Stuart Fields

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
True! And need to get enough people doing so to make a difference.

".Blueskies." wrote in message
Need to vote libertarian...