Do you log airborne time, or aircraft moving time?

Old October 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
Don Hammer

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:28:26 +0100, Peter
wrote:

How does one know which of the two should be used for the airframe,
engine and prop time?

Peter.

Airframe, engine and prop can be logged wheels off to wheels on like
they do in large aircraft. For convienience, I think most operators
of light aircraft use what large aircraft don't have - a hobbs or tach
meter. FAA doesn't care. Pilots can log time in motion e.g. block
time.
Old October 22nd 04, 02:22 PM
OSKI 3

Subject: Do you log airborne time, or aircraft moving time?
From: Don Hammer

My instructor gave me this information:
Log time at engine start. After all YOU
are Pilot in Command of an Aircraft not
a static display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Engine time is logged by Tach.

Bill OParowski
N10SX
N101SX
Old October 22nd 04, 07:20 PM
Ron Natalie

OSKI 3 wrote:

My instructor gave me this information:
Log time at engine start. After all YOU
are Pilot in Command of an Aircraft not
a static display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rules say from the time an aircraft first moves under
power for the purposes of flight. My argument is that as
soon as the engine start it moves under it's own power (if
only to strain against the brakes).

Engine time is logged by Tach.

If you have a recording tach. My aircraft (as well as
late model Bonanzas) doesn't have a recording tach. It has
an elapsed time meter. Mine is connected to the nose gear.
My time in service doesn't include ground time.
Old October 23rd 04, 10:20 PM
George Hamilton

When the aircraft is in motion and under control of the pilot in command.

N7409J
PA28-140
Old October 24th 04, 01:13 AM
Ron Natalie

George Hamilton wrote:
When the aircraft is in motion and under control of the pilot in command.

That's not what the rules say.