What's the best sounding aircraft you ever heard?

Old December 3rd 03, 04:00 AM
Paul Sengupta

Piston: Merlin (Spitfire, then P51, then Hurricane), Merlins (Lancaster).
Griffon (Spitfire). The engine in the Bf109 sounds marvelous too.
Sweeter/smoother/less gruff than the Merlin.

Radials also have their place in the distinctive sounds line-up. Low
and loud.

Jet - Concorde! 4 olympus turbojets with reheat on take-off! Closely
followed by the Vulcan. 4 non-afterburning olympus engines...

Offline at the moment so can't check, but don't Air Atlantique at
Coventry have a DC-6?

Paul

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some

1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful.

Old December 3rd 03, 04:34 AM
John Gaquin

Anything radial, multiple, and large in climb. From the cockpit or the
ground. Once the props are pulled back and really biting the air, it
deepens the tone. Marvelous! Closely rivaled by any large radial starting.

JG

Old December 3rd 03, 04:41 AM
john

T28 at fast idle while taxiing is another variant but still round
engine sound-very funky good noise.

Old December 3rd 03, 05:28 AM
Les Droe

Obviously dating myself...The B-36 with those six 4360's.

Les

"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote in message
This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some

1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot

remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels

funeral'.

Triple Delta

Old December 3rd 03, 06:29 AM
Larry Fransson

Bell UH-1

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old December 3rd 03, 10:14 AM
ShawnD2112

You bet, Jay. There are other airplane engines that sound pretty cool but
that one experience always stands out in my mind.
Others include:

Sitting near the departure end of Incirlik Airbase when the F-111s and the
Turkish F-104s were departing was pretty thrilling, too. The -104s, when
fully spun up, howled like a hangar door with a stuck wheel being dragged
across it's track. That's the only way I've ever been able to describe that
sound.

The crackle of the B-1s four engines in afterburner as it does a reversing
turn, pointing it's tail straight at you, in an airshow.

Last Wednesday hearing the sound of the last ever Concorde departure as our
final one was flown to the museum at Filton.

The 5 cylinder radial on a Baby Lakes that I just got to hand swing - pure
vintage fun!

The corncob radial on the Corsair starting and warming up - sounds even
better than being at full throttle!

Someone else mentioned the MATS Connie. I got to see and hear her come in
to Duxford a few years ago. Lovely in the extreme!

There are more but I'm not entirely coherent, being home with the flu, so
they're escaping my mind. I think it's the sounds of aviation that are most
thrilling. You can see nearly any airplane on static display in a museum
somewhere, but it's cold and lifeless. To hear it with it's engines running
is to hear it breath and thrive. That's thrilling!

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I suddenly found myself surrounded on 3 sides by all the Spits and

Mustangs
doing their runups at the same time - 19 Merlins revving up, churning

the
air with their props, making the ground shake, creating a deafening

sweet
racket which I couldn't bring myself to block from my ears. They rang

for
8
hours afterward but it was worth every minute.

Thanks for sharing that, Shawn. I've been at OSH numerous times when a
dozen (or more) Mustangs were doing their run-ups, and I still get shivers

just thinking about it!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 3rd 03, 11:35 AM
Frederick Wilson

Nothing like the true sound of freedom that the ole UH-1 Huey gives. I love
that sound.

Most Depressing sound: the sound of silence at altitude. When the wind
outside the cabin is making more noise than the power producers, it anit a
good thing.

Old December 3rd 03, 12:46 PM
Tom Fleischman

The space shuttle Atlantis lifting off was perhaos the single most
awesome sound I've ever heard.

Old December 3rd 03, 02:01 PM
Ron Parsons

In article ,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote:

This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

B-36 overhead.

The starter whine and first chufs of a B-17 starting.

A pair of 106's lighting burners for the dawn patrol.

B-26 with wheels just barely off the ground on takeoff.

--
Ron
Old December 3rd 03, 02:50 PM
CVBreard

The gentle purr of the Continental 6-cylinder O-300-D (145 hp on a really good
day) in earlier Cessna 172s, with my wife in the right front seat and our kids
sleeping in the back seat...

Ah, yes....