Garmin action camera - who will be the first to use one?

Old September 27th 13, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default Garmin action camera - who will be the first to use one?

It looks pretty good...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod119592.html

The Elite version includes GPS, accelerometers, and barometric altimeter.

email me)

Old October 10th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
dhaluza

On Friday, September 27, 2013 10:45:18 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
It looks pretty good...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod119592.html

The Elite version includes GPS, accelerometers, and barometric altimeter.

email me)

Did anyone notice the wave cloud in the "Garmin presents VIRB" video at 1:23?
Old October 10th 13, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

Looks like a nice camera. Its re-buying the accessories that keeps me from doing this again. I already have all the GoPro AND ReplayXD stuff.
Old October 11th 13, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The Garmin D2 GPS wris****ch is also a remote control for the camera.
Jim

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-t...rod148289.html
Old October 18th 13, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I just bought this one and was highly impressed with all aspects, especially the lens and picture quality (equal to GP Hero 3 Black edition). One think I love about this camera is the head band mount where the camera fits on the side of your head, leaving plenty of room. The go Pro's position on the top of your head or forehead hits and scratches the canopy regularly.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/s...cam-hdr-as30v/

And here for the headband mount: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Headband.html
Old October 19th 13, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, October 18, 2013 4:05:48 PM UTC-4, Sean F (F2) wrote:
The go Pro's position on the top of your head or forehead hits and scratches the canopy regularly.

If I understand, with a forehead mount the camera hits the canopy when you tilt your head back to look up above your altitude?
Old October 20th 13, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I have the scratch in my canopy to prove it ;-)
Old October 23rd 13, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

I wonder why would you want to put a gopro on your head? A proper scanning technique will get your audience dizzy. The absolute best shot you can get with a go pro is by holding it or mounting it outside the canopy. Most shots inside results in too much reflection anyway.

Ramy
Old October 29th 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (ES)

My next camera purchase, Panasonic HX-A100.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/HX-A100D

Review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTOl2X1g-p4

Old November 7th 13, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

I was looking at GoPro but The Garmin Virb Elite looks like a very interesting camera if you want to overlay telemetry data on to the video without all the hassles of trying to sync external data sources. The data is stored in standard GPX and FIT files and can be overlaid using the supplied software.

I think it would be really nice/useful to have the altitude, speed, accelerometer (G-meter) and outside air temperature (Garmin Tempe) overlaid on soaring videos as it adds some perspective to the flight. The heart rate not so much unless you're trying to demonstrate the increase of heart rate due to hypoxia.
I'm sure crash investigators would find the footage and telemetry data useful too.

I will wait and see what the critics say once there are enough of the devices in circulation.

Wingtip Camera kestrel19 Soaring 0 April 9th 09 04:02 PM
Camera mounts for small digital camera kestrel254 Soaring 5 August 19th 08 04:03 PM
Camera shy pilots Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 5 December 23rd 07 10:56 AM
Camera Litigation in UK [email protected] Soaring 12 January 28th 06 07:16 PM
A-4 gun camera question Guy Alcala Naval Aviation 0 April 10th 04 06:33 AM