Thrown out of an FBO...

Old November 16th 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default PHIL Thrown out of an FBO...

...there are certain things in life that I see and
I can't explain. Divinity or Synchronicity...

.... or perhaps just the way probability really works. Things that seem
improbable occur quite often, merely by chance. (this can be shown to
be true with pure numbers - no actual events are necessary)

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 16th 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Atheism is not absence of religion. It's a
dogmatic belief that there is no God.

The word is actually used both ways. This tends to confuse things,
since people respond to the words they hear, not to the ideas that were
not successfully expressed. When I need to be precise, I use the
following three words thus:

Athism: I do believe that there is no God.
Nontheism: I do not believe that there is a God.
Agnosticism: I'm not sure if any of the Gods that are proffered up in
the religions I know of, exist.

Jose
Old November 16th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Jose wrote:
"If atheism is a religion, then _not_ collecting stamps is a hobby."

Snarf.

To snarf means to take, (usually surrepticiously) an item (usually a
small one). I've just snarfed this into my quotes file. (How) would
you like to be credited when I use it?

The quote did not originate from me. I don't recall where I first saw it -
a net search may locate the originator.

Statement X: "A person making the statement Y, "All religions are
invalid," makes the person a member of a religion R."

What does "valid" and "invalid" mean in this context? A religion can be
valid and false, for some reasonable definitions of "valid".

Valid in this context means the statements the religion makes about the
world are true. At least I think that is what I mean. :-)
Old November 16th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:03:03 +0000, Jose wrote:
Athism: I do believe that there is no God.
Nontheism: I do not believe that there is a God.
Agnosticism: I'm not sure if any of the Gods that are proffered
up in the religions I know of, exist.

OK, so which one is, "I don't care whether any dieties exist, I'm just
trying to get through today without having to kill someone" ???

--
"Is it possible for the voices in my head to use email from now on?"

Old November 16th 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mike regish

They're both athiesm. The first is the type of athiest I was when I saw
religion as mostly harmless stupidity.

I don't see it that way any more, so now I'm an active athiest. I no longer
refuse to talk about religion when it is brought up. I state my athiesm and
my reasons.

mike

news

Old November 16th 06, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:29:28 -0500, mike regish wrote:
I don't see it that way any more, so now I'm an active athiest. I no
longer refuse to talk about religion when it is brought up. I state my
athiesm and my reasons.

I'm a live and let live type of person for the most part -- as long as
someone doesn't try to force their lifestyle choices / beliefs upon me...
Otherwise, oh well, gators gotta eat too, ya' know... evil-grin

http://grumman581.googlepages.com/gators-gotta-eat-too

If someone wants to **** sheep while wearing rubber boots and a raincoat
and singing "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head", I don't care as long as
they do it in private... I don't mind them being a pervert, just keep it
private where it belongs and don't try to pretend that it is a normal
lifestyle choice... If they bring it out in public where my family might
have to see it ... well ... that means that I will have to get involved...
I seriously suspect that neither of us would really like for it to
escalate to that point...
Old November 16th 06, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Default Thrown out of an FBO...

mike regish wrote:
And that surprises you?

mike

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

mike regish wrote:

Not even close. You have nothing, zip, zilch, nada...

I have mountains of scientific data.

Wow, I've never heard that one before.

Matt

Nope.
Old November 16th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jim Logajan wrote:

Judah wrote:

Dylan Smith wrote in
:

Hell doesn't exist, and an absence of religion isn't a religion. It's
an ...absence... of religion. It is possible to have no religion, you
know.

It's possible. But not likely. Atheism is not absence of religion.

"If atheism is a religion, then _not_ collecting stamps is a hobby."

Hardly. It simply means your hobby is something other than stamp
collecting.

Matt
Old November 16th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

mike regish wrote:

They're both athiesm. The first is the type of athiest I was when I saw
religion as mostly harmless stupidity.

I don't see it that way any more, so now I'm an active athiest. I no longer
refuse to talk about religion when it is brought up. I state my athiesm and
my reasons.

I'm glad to hear that you are willing to debate your religion. That is
the first step to enlightenment.

Matt
Old November 16th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Jose wrote in news:t_T6h.3570$yE6.535
@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

...there are certain things in life that I see and
I can't explain. Divinity or Synchronicity...

... or perhaps just the way probability really works. Things that seem
improbable occur quite often, merely by chance. (this can be shown to
be true with pure numbers - no actual events are necessary)

You are welcome to whatever dogma you would like. But even scientists believe
certain circumstances happen outside the realm of probability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity