Transient visit to the Pacific Northwest

Old April 2nd 04, 06:20 PM
sprack

Default Transient visit to the Pacific Northwest

I spent several years of my past in the Seattle and Vancouver (Canada)
areas. It's a beautiful region but unfortunately I did not fly at the
time. I'll be going to both places for a work trip around the Labour
Day weekend so it'd be great to see the area from a GA perspective -
any recommendations for FBOs, must see items. Unfortunately, it will
only be a quick hitter kind of trip as I'll only have one day in each
place available for flying so I'll just have to hope for good weather.

Thanks,
Doug
Old April 2nd 04, 06:32 PM
Peter Duniho

"sprack" wrote in message
om...
[...] I'll be going to both places for a work trip around the Labour
Day weekend so it'd be great to see the area from a GA perspective -
any recommendations for FBOs, must see items.

It would help if you tell us at which airports you intend to land. Also,
when you say you'll "only have one day in each place available for flying",
does that mean you'll have an entire day to devote to local flying? Or does
that include your flight in, out, or both?

Pete

Old April 3rd 04, 01:53 AM
sprack

It would help if you tell us at which airports you intend to land. Also,
when you say you'll "only have one day in each place available for flying",
does that mean you'll have an entire day to devote to local flying? Or does
that include your flight in, out, or both?

Pete

sorry that wasn't clear. I'll probably have at least half a day free
in each place and I'll be looking to rent. Maybe not enough time for
a checkout and then time to go off on my own, so I just planned on
logging some dual with a CFI.

Thanks, Doug
Old April 3rd 04, 02:33 AM
Peter Duniho

"sprack" wrote in message
om...
sorry that wasn't clear. I'll probably have at least half a day free
in each place and I'll be looking to rent. Maybe not enough time for
a checkout and then time to go off on my own, so I just planned on
logging some dual with a CFI.

Well, assuming you're actually going to be in Seattle, your best bet would
probably just be to go down to Boeing Field and talk to Wings Aloft (a very
large flying "club" that could provide dual) or Galvin Flying (an actual
FBO). Sounds like you're right that you won't have time for a checkout.

As for what to see, just name it. If the weather's good enough, a flight
down around Mount Rainier is a classic Seattle thing. You may enjoy flying
up to Paine Field (or even renting a plane from Regal Air up there) and
seeing the Boeing widebody assembly plant from the air. If you have time,
the plant tour is a lot of fun too.

You can fly in pretty much any direction and see *something* scenic. It may
be mountains, or a single big mountain, or a couple of big mountains, or the
Pacific coast, or the San Juan Islands, or some more mountains, but
regardless, it's nice. You don't have time to do it all anyway, so I
wouldn't worry about whether you see "the best" thing. Pick some at random
and enjoy it.

I don't know much about flying in Vancouver...you'll probably want to rent
from Boundary Bay, rather than Vancouver Int'l (assuming one can rent there
in the first place). They have similar characteristics...in pretty much any
direction, there's *something* worth looking at. Except maybe due
east/south-east.

Pete

Old April 9th 04, 05:10 AM
Flynn

Might also check out Pro-Flight at Renton for rental and instruction.
Cheaper by quite a bit than Wings anyways.
Beyond that, Peter is quite right...fly in any direction and there's
something to see. Just have to beware of the now diminished TFRs. I love
flying out to the east over Snoqualmie Falls and through the Cascades.
Consider a flight up to Friday Harbor (FHR) for lunch.

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
om...