Anyone preserved a bare fuselage? Cosmoline?

Old November 23rd 08, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default Anyone preserved a bare fuselage? Cosmoline?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 01:53:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I just lurk here but artists oil paint will work or add dry artist's
pigment (not Paint). Artist's oil paint is traditionaly boiled linseed
oil and pigment ground together. Turpentine is the solvent for oil
paints.
Karl

Thanks Karl - Mike
Old November 23rd 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:41:51 +0900, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:29:37 -0500, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 22:05:40 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

but ummmm. isnt the surface a dark rusted colour anyway.

Stealth Pilot

Stealth - recall that what I'm doing is sandblasting/wirebrushing a
small section at a time and coming back to it a month later to do
another small section. The turp/oil mix is to protect the surface
until the whole fuselage is blasted/brushed at which time I'll remove
the turp/oil mix and apply (probably) two part epoxy. So to answer
your query, after blasting/brushing, no, it will be frosty steel color
- Mike

Old November 23rd 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Stealth Pilot" wrote

I actually dont know what happened to the fuselage I coated. it is on
the other side of australia now.

Sounds like you need to go on a walkabout, and see how it's doin, mate!
ducking and grinning
--
Jim in NC

Old November 23rd 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:

but ummmm. isnt the surface a dark rusted colour anyway.

Stealth Pilot

Stealth - recall that what I'm doing is sandblasting/wirebrushing a
small section at a time and coming back to it a month later to do
another small section. The turp/oil mix is to protect the surface
until the whole fuselage is blasted/brushed at which time I'll remove
the turp/oil mix and apply (probably) two part epoxy. So to answer
your query, after blasting/brushing, no, it will be frosty steel color
- Mike

Use a light wash of cheap rust paint. Aluminum TremClad will wash off
with thinners or gasoline even after several years.Colours are not
much better.

Mix it with your Turps/linseed if you like
Old November 23rd 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel

Michael Horowitz wrote:

Stealth - recall that what I'm doing is sandblasting/wirebrushing a
small section at a time and coming back to it a month later to do
another small section. The turp/oil mix is to protect the surface
until the whole fuselage is blasted/brushed at which time I'll remove
the turp/oil mix and apply (probably) two part epoxy. So to answer
your query, after blasting/brushing, no, it will be frosty steel color
- Mike

If you're blasting a small section at a time, why don't you just prime it as you go along, then touch it up when it's done? The paint
will stick a lot better to freshly blasted metal and you'll save yourself a lot of work.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.
Old November 24th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:07:14 -0800, John Kimmel
wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:

Stealth - recall that what I'm doing is sandblasting/wirebrushing a
small section at a time and coming back to it a month later to do
another small section. The turp/oil mix is to protect the surface
until the whole fuselage is blasted/brushed at which time I'll remove
the turp/oil mix and apply (probably) two part epoxy. So to answer
your query, after blasting/brushing, no, it will be frosty steel color
- Mike

If you're blasting a small section at a time, why don't you just prime it as you go along, then touch it up when it's done? The paint
will stick a lot better to freshly blasted metal and you'll save yourself a lot of work.

that advise is probably the best.
you can mix the epoxy primer in small amounts quite easily.
I used a small revell aeromodellers airbrush to spray on the primer.
almost no overspray, minimal solvent smells, and no slower than any
other technique.

Stealth Pilot

Looking for a fuselage Jay Honeck Home Built 79 March 7th 05 01:42 PM
Bare Bones X-C Cub Driver Piloting 3 August 3rd 04 09:17 AM
Brand New Bell 47 Spider Still Packed in Cosmoline ---- What's It Worth? Larry Smith Rotorcraft 1 December 25th 03 12:45 PM
Preserved Asso 500 engines - pictures Vicente Vazquez Restoration 0 November 21st 03 07:20 PM