Instrument Checkride on May 17th

Old May 8th 04, 10:19 PM
Judah

This was your quote:

I fail to see the reasoning behind demonstrating my FAR/AIM research
skills, as it pertains to my ability to fly safely. I see that it is
recommended to bring the book to the ride, but since I've had no need to
crack open the thing in my last 4 years of flying, I don't see the point.
I think a DE should test the real world, not abstract FAA mumbo jumbo.

The implication is that it is a waste for you to even own a copy because
you have had no need to use it, and it does not represent the "real world".
To you it is abstract FAA mumbo jumbo.

I don't think I mischaracterized or distorted what you said at all.

One of the things I don't like on Usenet is that people write things that
they didn't really mean or think through, and then get insulted when
someone else takes it for what it says without somehow knowing that the
author didn't really mean it...

Admittedly, I have done it too. But I try not to take it so seriously when
someone else reiterates my comments and all of a sudden they don't sound so
good anymore.

Anyway, good luck on your test. I just got my Instrument Rating in
February. I brought my FAR/AIM along, and the DE not only grilled me until
he could catch me on something I didn't know, but he kept going until he
found something that I didn't even know where to look up. When I went to
the FAR/AIM, though, we used his copy, not mine...

Wizard of Draws wrote in
news:BCC254B4.E5AF%jeffbREMOVE@REMOVEwizardofdraws .com:

On 5/8/04 2:53 AM, in article
, "Judah"
wrote:

I guess my thought was the guy was already claiming that he would
never have a reason to open the book in real life, so the thought that
he would consider buying an updated version seemed unlikely...

One of the reasons I dislike getting into long discussions on Usenet is
that any position quickly becomes mischaracterized, misquoted or
grossly distorted, because people are unable or unwilling to *read*
what was actually written.
It's extremely odd to me that pilots can be so anal retentive in so
many aspects, yet when it comes to reading comprehension in newsgroups,
they fail so miserably.

Judah, please reread my post that you "quoted" from. Pay particular
attention to the tense that I used and compare it to the tense that you
place my statements in.

That said, I will take the advice given here and take a current FAR/AIM
to my checkride when it is scheduled.

Old May 9th 04, 01:18 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 5/8/04 5:19 PM, in article ,
"Judah" wrote:

[...]

I meant no implication beyond what I wrote. I wrote that I had not had a
reason to open the book in the last 4 years of my real world flying, *not*
that I would never see a reason to use it in the future. I have no crystal
ball and cannot and did not make such a claim.

As for the "FAA mumbo jumbo", it is precisely the debates that go on in this
and the other aviation newsgroups about the interpretation of the FARs that
make me label them as such. Often we can't agree among ourselves what they
mean, and as a lowly 250 hour, non-lawyer pilot, I can assure you that I
will not be arguing the legal nuances of any of them with anyone. What
better definition of mumbo jumbo could anyone require?

I will say again that your experience with a DE digging at your knowledge
base until he finds an obscure question you do not know and are forced to
research while he looks on, which seems to be the norm according to most
accounts given here, seems pointless and only purpose appears to be to
inflate the ego of the DE. I recognize that I could be wrong.

Thank you for the good wishes and fly safe.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old May 9th 04, 02:45 AM
Andrew Gideon

David B. Cole wrote:

Andrew,

I'm taking the checkride with Marcus. Yeah, I guess this means that I
will have to join the PFC. :-)

Dave

No, you don't *have* to. I read once that someone didn't, and it was days
before he was hunted down.

In case I don't see you (will you be at MAPA?), good luck. But if you want
to discuss my own experiences with your DE...

- Andrew

Old May 9th 04, 02:52 AM
Andrew Gideon

David B. Cole wrote:

Today the
plan was to fly to Sussex (FWN) and Lincoln Park (N07) for GPS
approaches.

I don't think you realize just how difficult this is. There's something
less than zero setup time between Caldwell and those airports. After my
rating, I used them to exercize the speed with which I could go from zero
to completely briefed and set up approach.

The first time I did it, I think I was finally set up as I was taxiing back
to depart Sussex.

Besides, one bad day and you'll ditch the test? The test itself isn't so
strict.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 04, 10:01 PM
David B. Cole

Andrew,

Well, we went up today and performed the GPS Rwy 3 into Sussex, GPS 19
into Lincoln Park, and NBD-GPS Rwy 22 back into Caldwell and
everything went well. I was determined to redeem myself after my
performance last week. It's amazing how much influence your mindset
has on flying, how it changes day to day, and how small things that
aren't even at the top of your mind can impact you. But today I was
determined to fly the way I knew I could and walk away with a sense of
accomplishment. I think Stanley only made two or three minor comments
once we were back on the ground. See you at MAPA tomorrow. And to
everyone else, thanks for the encouragement

Dave

Old May 13th 04, 06:29 PM
Andrew Gideon

David B. Cole wrote:

It's amazing how much influence your mindset
has on flying, how it changes day to day, and how small things that
aren't even at the top of your mind can impact you.

It looks like you've picked up (and shared) an extremely valuable piece of
information. Mindset is definitely one of the factors to be checked in
making the go/no-go decision.

- Andrew