A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider Insurance

Old November 24th 17, 08:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

That's f*cking expensive. Liability and 85k hull is under 1000eur/year in my part of the world. 1000h experience and 3 named pilots.
Old November 24th 17, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bojack J4
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

Avemco insurance.

I have used them ever since I was a relatively newly licensed glider pilot and purchased a new LS-6c/18 from the LS factory. Costello would not insure me but instead put me in a "catch-22 situation".

Avemco did. To hell with Costello.

So far, I have received multiple discounts from Avemco for things like safe flying/no claims, obtaining advanced ratings, and attending educational seminars.....etc.

The one time I needed insurance coverage for a cracked tail boom (due to intentional ground loop to save myself from injury during an outlanding in the mountains of Tennessee) they stepped up to the plate and worked well with Gerhlein repair facility.

Just another insurance company to consider other than the SSA/Costello consortium.

Old November 24th 17, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LAX
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP! I WILL CHECK OUT ALL OTHER INSURANCE PROVIDERS.
Old November 24th 17, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-8, John Carlyle wrote:
That ratio seems high - my ratio is 36 (for a LS-8). A simple ratio might not be a good metric. Much of the cost of the insurance is for liability, which won't change for glider type. So, if you have a less expensive glider the ratio could be low, whereas if you have an expensive glider the ratio could be high.

Yes, I'm insured by Costello. I shopped around 5-6 years ago, and Costello was the cheapest. Plus, I like their policy on using your own glider's insurance to cover rental gliders. But YMMV, as others have found.

-John, Q3

=========

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 12:46:19 PM UTC-5, LAX wrote:
Is everyone insured by Costello Insurance?
I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are approximately equal to the cost of the glider divided by 16. That is my annual payment. In other words, if I don’t have insurance, every 16 years I could buy a new glider with the money I don’t on insurance.

I'm with Costello and the ratio is about 88:1. I'm sure the price is related to the insured price of the glider, your claims history, etc. At our FBO, you will not get a tow unless you have liability insurance at least.
Old November 25th 17, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 11:08:34 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-8, John Carlyle wrote:
That ratio seems high - my ratio is 36 (for a LS-8). A simple ratio might not be a good metric. Much of the cost of the insurance is for liability, which won't change for glider type. So, if you have a less expensive glider the ratio could be low, whereas if you have an expensive glider the ratio could be high.

Yes, I'm insured by Costello. I shopped around 5-6 years ago, and Costello was the cheapest. Plus, I like their policy on using your own glider's insurance to cover rental gliders. But YMMV, as others have found.

-John, Q3

=========

I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are approximately equal to the cost of the glider divided by 16. That is my annual payment. In other words, if I don’t have insurance, every 16 years I could buy a new glider with the money I don’t on insurance.

I'm with Costello and the ratio is about 88:1. I'm sure the price is related to the insured price of the glider, your claims history, etc. At our FBO, you will not get a tow unless you have liability insurance at least.

Hi LAX,
Be sure to investigate the insurance requirements of any clubs or tow operators you may wish to be a part of. Some require Costello group participation.
Old December 3rd 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:46:19 AM UTC-8, LAX wrote:
I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are approximately equal to the cost of the glider divided by 16.. That is my annual payment. In other words, if I don’t have insurance, every 16 years I could buy a new glider with the money I don’t on insurance.

It is probably because you are buying an old, cheaper glider. Unfortunately, it cost just as much to repair an old glider (maybe even more) than a newer glider. Hence, the ratios will be different. Self insurance is an option (I would definitely recommend liability insurance regardless). What it gets down to can you write a check to replace your glider if it is totalled? And a cheap repair is at least $5k. If you do self insure, put what you would have paid in premiums into a separate investment account. If you don't know anything about investing just buy an S&P 500 index fund like SPY. This way you will build up the replacement cost much quicker than what you are thinking.

Tom
Old December 3rd 17, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

Best advice I've read in a long time.

On 12/2/2017 9:43 PM, 2G wrote:
On Thursday, November 23, 2017 at 9:46:19 AM UTC-8, LAX wrote:

It is probably because you are buying an old, cheaper glider. Unfortunately, it cost just as much to repair an old glider (maybe even more) than a newer glider. Hence, the ratios will be different. Self insurance is an option (I would definitely recommend liability insurance regardless). What it gets down to can you write a check to replace your glider if it is totalled? And a cheap repair is at least $5k. If you do self insure, put what you would have paid in premiums into a separate investment account. If you don't know anything about investing just buy an S&P 500 index fund like SPY. This way you will build up the replacement cost much quicker than what you are thinking.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 6th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Glider Insurance

I am purchasing a glider and it comes down to this, the annual premiums I was quoted are approximately equal to the cost of the glider divided by 16.. That is my annual payment. In other words, if I don’t have insurance, every 16 years I could buy a new glider with the money I don’t on insurance.

My 1-26 was insured for $11,000 and my payment was 715.87 via Costello.. probably high because I have low hours.

That was about 6 years ago... (I've since sold the 1-26).