McCain in '08

Old July 16th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Morgans[_3_]

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

So it looks like political discussion is destined to remain a fixture
in rec.aviation.piloting. I suppose, if original message thread
posters would be curious enough to preface their Subject lines with
'OT', it would facilitate filtering.

You can ask them to do that, sure.

On the other hand, I wonder how many of the current
rec.aviation.piloting readership might truly desire a forum where
pilots could discuss political aviation issues with their fellows?

Ask them? Run a straw poll.

Still sounds like a NIMBY act, though.

We have all kinds of codes for filtering in this and other rec.aviation.*
groups, like ZZZ for Jim Campbell, or JJJ for Juan Jimenez, FS for selling,
and of course, OT for all kinds of stuff that is not on topic.

I propose we make a new filter aid, which we precede the subject line with:

POL: bla bla bla, ect

That will allow people that don't mind the political crap that is related to
flying, and still allow the people that object to filter it.

What say ye all?
--
Jim in NC

Old July 16th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

I propose we make a new filter aid, which we precede the subject line with:

POL: bla bla bla, ect

Good idea... and when replying to an on-topic post with a reply that
contains political stuff, prepend POL: to the existing subject line.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 16th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:27:04 GMT, Jose
wrote in ::

Good idea... and when replying to an on-topic post with a reply that
contains political stuff, prepend POL: to the existing subject line.

Would you start a new message thread like that even if the political
content were on-topic?

Old July 16th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Default McCain in '08

Martin Hotze wrote:
On 15 Jul 2006 12:25:41 -0700, Flyingmonk wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups/adul...ics%3Flnk%3Dli

whatever you did, you didn't do it on Usenet but on a website, and on
groups.google.com, one of the most spammer friendly web2news gateways I
know. Anyway: *Usenet*-users can't use this "group".

I don't think anyone here is really sincere about wanting a separate
forum, but I thought I'd set one up anyways. It was simple emnough.

The email address to send posts via email is:

Monk

Old July 16th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:41:37 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in
::

whatever you did, you didn't do it on Usenet but on a website, and on
groups.google.com, one of the most spammer friendly web2news gateways I
know. Anyway: *Usenet*-users can't use this "group".

Brian has no clue about the difference between the two. Oh well...

Old July 16th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

Good idea... and when replying to an on-topic post with a reply that
contains political stuff, prepend POL: to the existing subject line.

Would you start a new message thread like that even if the political
content were on-topic?

Yes. I propose retaining the rest of the subject line. Of course it's
a judgement call as to how political it has to be to warrant POL, but
that's the way I'd start out... remember replies to that message may
well expound on the politital part rather than the aviation part; that's
proabaly the test to use.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 17th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:45:43 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

... Now how do you broadcast that convention? Do you amend the newsgroup
charter, or periodically post a notice, or ...?

Periodic notices, cheerleading, and good example.

There is no formal mechanism for changing group charters. The
one that goes on file at the time of the group's creation stays on
file.

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB), such as it is.
The B8MB is a work in progress.
Old July 17th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:01:51 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in
::

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:45:43 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

... Now how do you broadcast that convention? Do you amend the newsgroup
charter, or periodically post a notice, or ...?

Periodic notices,

How do you propose to assure that periodic notices are posted? That
sounds like a job for the UNIX 'at' command.

cheerleading,

You're referring to the readership politely informing the author, of
the offending political article sans 'POL' prepended in the Subject
header, of the convention of flagging political content in
rec.aviation.piloting?

and good example.

That can only be accomplished by the informed.

There is no formal mechanism for changing group charters. The
one that goes on file at the time of the group's creation stays on
file.

Oh well...

Old July 17th 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Flyingmonk[_1_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:41:37 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote in
::

whatever you did, you didn't do it on Usenet but on a website, and on
groups.google.com, one of the most spammer friendly web2news gateways I
know. Anyway: *Usenet*-users can't use this "group".

Brian has no clue about the difference between the two. Oh well...

Oh please enlighten me oh great one... g

Monk

Old July 17th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

and good example.

That can only be accomplished by the informed.

Well, we're all informed now.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.