A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

US Sectionals for GlidePlan now available on soaringdata.info

Old June 17th 14, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA
external usenet poster

Default US Sectionals for GlidePlan now available on soaringdata.info

On a recent business trip I spent the solitary evenings in the hotel writing the code to automate the production of GlidePlan sectionals. I must have been really bored or something.

Anyway, that means up-to-date sectionals are now available on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Go to the "Sectionals" tab and find the link for the GlidePlan files. You need to download both the .jpg and the .tfw file, and install them in an appropriately named subfolder of the GlidePlan maps folder.

Production of these is now automated, so my site should always have the latest and greatest, without (much) human intervention.

I'm not yet able to accept requests for custom charts for contest areas and the like. I did the one for the Nephi area just to prove I could do it, but it was a pretty time-consuming process. I might do one or two more if I get bored again sometime. The Nephi chart is available for downloading at the same location as the other sectionals.

As with everything on soaringdata.info, GlidePlan sectionals are completely free. Other stuff on the site includes:

- Current US airport information in formats supporting most glide
computers, and planning software (see the airports tab)
- Special Use and ATC-controlled airspace, including popular soaring
formats as well as those that support certain recreational GPS
receivers (see the Airspace Tab)
- US TFR airspace (See the TFRs tab)
- Current US sectional charts in formats supporting SeeYou and Google
Earth

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old June 17th 14, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

What a great service!
Users should feel free to use the "donate" link...
Jim

As with everything on soaringdata.info, GlidePlan sectionals are completely free. Other stuff on the site includes:
Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old June 17th 14, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Hi Lynn,

As the author of GlidePlan, I would like to thank you for going through the effort to make current sectionals available. As I no longer have the time to keep up with sectional releases, the Whole GlidePlan community will benefit from your work. I can provide some software tools that may help with this effort as well.

Cheers,

Matt Herron

On Monday, June 16, 2014 8:52:54 PM UTC-7, 2KA wrote:
On a recent business trip I spent the solitary evenings in the hotel writing the code to automate the production of GlidePlan sectionals. I must have been really bored or something.

Anyway, that means up-to-date sectionals are now available on my website at http://www.soaringdata.info. Go to the "Sectionals" tab and find the link for the GlidePlan files. You need to download both the .jpg and the .tfw file, and install them in an appropriately named subfolder of the GlidePlan maps folder.

Production of these is now automated, so my site should always have the latest and greatest, without (much) human intervention.

I'm not yet able to accept requests for custom charts for contest areas and the like. I did the one for the Nephi area just to prove I could do it, but it was a pretty time-consuming process. I might do one or two more if I get bored again sometime. The Nephi chart is available for downloading at the same location as the other sectionals.

- Current US airport information in formats supporting most glide

computers, and planning software (see the airports tab)

- Special Use and ATC-controlled airspace, including popular soaring

formats as well as those that support certain recreational GPS

receivers (see the Airspace Tab)

- US TFR airspace (See the TFRs tab)

- Current US sectional charts in formats supporting SeeYou and Google

Earth

Happy Downloading!

Lynn Alley

"2KA"

Old June 17th 14, 08:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Lynn,

Please contact me off-list at matt(at)digitalshorts(dot)com

Matt Herron
Old June 17th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn (A8)
external usenet poster

Great going Lynn, this is a real asset and very much appreciated.

Nothing provides the situational awareness of a printed map. Glide Plan allows you to assign waypoint colors, names, numbers and a host of other great map creation features.

Download the SeeYou waypoint file for your area, overlay them on your map and print for a Sectional in any scale you desire. Print two, one for your crew. Get out the clear shelf paper, cover the map and and your good to go. While there is a learning curve to Glide Plan it is the straightest line for contest maps there is.

A8
Old June 17th 14, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:01:27 AM UTC-7, John Seaborn (A8) wrote:
Great going Lynn, this is a real asset and very much appreciated.

Nothing provides the situational awareness of a printed map. Glide Plan allows you to assign waypoint colors, names, numbers and a host of other great map creation features.

Download the SeeYou waypoint file for your area, overlay them on your map and print for a Sectional in any scale you desire. Print two, one for your crew. Get out the clear shelf paper, cover the map and and your good to go.. While there is a learning curve to Glide Plan it is the straightest line for contest maps there is.

A8

Thanks John.

You have been a great supporter of GlidePlan over the years.

I will be posting some tools on the GlidePlan website to allow individuals to process sectionals as Lynn has done if they wish to. I have versions that run on both Mac and PC. These tools will also process Global Mapper files if properly prepped.

It would be fantastic if someone could step up to update or create stitched maps using Global Mapper on a regular basis. stitching together charts is the hardest part of the process, but once stitched, I also have a tool that will update the Global Mapper files with the latest sectionals. Global Mapper is scriptable, so If someone has some skills doing that, it would remove a lot of the overhead of keeping custom maps current.

Matt Herron
GlidePlan
Old June 24th 14, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]
external usenet poster

Lynn,

Thanks for all the effort.

Jim Dingess