Best soaring - is there any doubt?

Old May 2nd 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Best soaring - is there any doubt?

If you look at the OLC scores from yesterday (1 May) you will see 1050,
945, and 800 KM flights out of Moriarty NM on the first of May. The
Albuquerque Soaring club blows the competition away every year in the
OLC because of consistant year-round soaring with wave in the winter
and great thermals all summer. For more information check out
www.soarmoriarty.com
Wish I was there right now instead of in AF pilot training in Del Rio,
Texas. (Well no, not really, but I sure could have used a day off
yesterday to go fly a glider!)

Echo X-Ray out.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A more accurate statement would be: Albuquerque blows away the
competition every year because of great soaring conditions AND lots of
pilots.

2005 totals:
ABQ: 153,406 points, 35 pilots, 4,383 points/ pilot
ASA: 128,514 points, 24 pilots, 5,354 points/ pilot

Old May 2nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Who is to say which is more fun?

Flying 800 miles in a glider in strong conditions, or perhaps flying
150 miles in moderate conditions where you never got above 4000' agl,
or doing 600 kts and dropping dummy bombs?

Some people are fortunate to be able to do all these things.

Its all fun, except when someone in the back seat starts hollering at
you to relight your turbines, and that slowing up in lift and saving
fuel is not in the hop objectives ;-)

Ray

Old May 3rd 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I just want to know if Mitch is going to have to go
to Colorado Springs and do basic/Primary glider training?
That should be interesting student doing the teaching

Old May 3rd 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Very true, Mark. We both know that anything that grows in both New
Mexico and Arizona has some sort of natural defense against being eaten
or landed upon, however if you hit the Arizona plant defense Vice grips
are required, vs. Just picking our much smaller New Mexico style thorns
out.

Ahhh I love the AZ guys. What a great love - hate relationship we
have.

Echo X-Ray

Old May 3rd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mitch, I see the Airforce has knocked the Sierra out
of you! Now just Echo Xray? Or was it the tequilla?
Lawyers daughter? What? Inquiring minds want to know!